Guinness: Arkham Asylum Is Most Acclaimed Superhero Game Ever

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Guinness: Arkham Asylum Is Most Acclaimed Superhero Game Ever

It might have only come out this week, but Batman: Arkham Asylum is already in the record books. Guinness World Records just declared the well-reviewed title the "Most Critically Acclaimed Superhero Game Ever."

According to the numbers, Batman: Arkham Asylum's doing pretty well when it comes to winning over the minds of jaded videogame reviewers. Currently sitting pretty at the top of the Metacritic pile with a 91 Metascore [http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/batmanarkhamasylum], it's clear enough that there are many people out there who are digging The Caped Crusdaer's latest...erm, crusade.

Whether or not the game passes the test of time remains to be seen, but Guinness World Records would seem to not give a damn, because they've awarded Arkham Asylum with a unique accolade: the World Record for "Most Critically Acclaimed Superhero Game Ever." Arkham Asylum had undoubtedly stiff competition in this most vaunted of categories, having needed to best other notable superhero game masterpieces like Iron Man and Superman 64.

"We are so pleased to be awarding Batman: Arkham Asylum a Guinness World Record," Gaz Deaves of Guinness World Records said. "It is a fantastic new game and due to the reaction of gaming experts we believe it has a well deserved place in the Guinness World Records book."

In all seriousness, the record itself might be a tad ridiculous (not to mention fishy), but from what I've heard (and what little I've played) of Arkham Asylum, it certainly is a few notches above your average superhero game. I might say that X-Men the arcade game [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men_%28arcade_game%29] deserves this honor more than Arkham Asylum, but I guess this will do.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
It just goes to show that any franchise game can be good if enough effort is put into the game; I hope this news comes as a slap to the face to the people who made that new, god-awful Incredible Hulk game.

Feb 13, 2008
TBF, the Guinness Book of Gamer Records is a complete joke at times.

Most difficult tobacco to craft? Jeezuz, way to fill a book guys.

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:

At least it's not another "Longest Nails"-like achievement.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009

You sir, have unlocked the code to the universe. Happy editing. You raise a good point, the Guinness books are really filled with a lot of pointless things. That's why I read the Top Ten of Everything.

They have plane crashes in there, and gun massacres. Interesting stuff.

olee12343

Jun 23, 2009
Well, there's another pointless record taking up space in Guinness. Batman might be a great game and all, but "Most Critically Acclaimed Superhero Game Ever" is about as relevent a record as "Most Absorbant Tampon".

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
Iron Man. Would anyone care to elaborate Lol!?

The Iron Man game I've played, was one released after the Iron Man movie. I do not recall the title, and it may be something different they are referring to on the thread, so please elaborate this for me. The Iron Man game I played, sucks monkey balls. It is one of THE worst games that has been made out of all the Movie-to-VideoGames out there.

kthxbye

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Nincompoop said:

The Iron Man game I've played, was one released after the Iron Man movie. I do not recall the title, and it may be something different they are referring to on the thread, so please elaborate this for me. The Iron Man game I played, sucks monkey balls. It is one of THE worst games that has been made out of all the Movie-to-VideoGames out there.
Exactly the point. Superman 64 was also supposed to be awful, the joke is that although the game may be good, it hardly has anything that competes with it.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
olee12343 said:
Well, there's another pointless record taking up space in Guinness. Batman might be a great game and all, but "Most Critically Acclaimed Superhero Game Ever" is about as relevent a record as "Most Absorbant Tampon".
They should sell those in a package deal for the angry wives/gfs of guys playing "Arkham" for hours on end.

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
Machines Are Us said:
Nincompoop said:

Exactly the point. Superman 64 was also supposed to be awful, the joke is that although the game may be good, it hardly has anything that competes with it.
So, everything, including this thread is satirical?

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Magnatek said:

At least it's not another "Longest Nails"-like achievement.
How about "Largest pogo stick ever made"?

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Nincompoop said:
Machines Are Us said:
Nincompoop said:

It got the record, that is true. The thread is mocking the fact that the award doesn't mean much I believe.

CUnk

Oct 24, 2008
I wasn't aware you could sponsor record entries in Guinness. I guess since Guinness is only relevant to 12-15 year old boys this is probably money well spent.

DrunkWithPower

Apr 17, 2009
Nincompoop said:
Machines Are Us said:
Nincompoop said:

No, Keane was just pointing out the fact that the record wasn't hard to get... Almost like a rose in a field of crap, the rose is pretty compared to the crap.

ghalkhsdkssakgh

Jul 16, 2009
Keane Ng said:
Arkham Asylum had undoubtedly stiff competition in this most vaunted of categories, having needed to best other notable superhero game masterpieces like Iron Man and Superman 64.
The sarcasm! It burns!

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
Machines Are Us said:
Nincompoop said:
Machines Are Us said:
Nincompoop said:

It got the record, that is true. The thread is mocking the fact that the award doesn't mean much I believe.
Okay, thx for clearing it up!

Anyways, I, for one, found the demo fun. Very smoothly done fighting. When you are facing a different direction, you don't suddenly turn the 72 degrees, or what ever, and kick his ass, but you do a counter-attack roughly from that position. So it looks real fluent.

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
DrunkWithPower said:
Nincompoop said:
Machines Are Us said:
Nincompoop said:

No, Keane was just pointing out the fact that the record wasn't hard to get... Almost like a rose in a field of crap, the rose is pretty compared to the crap.
Then it maybe isn't so much to brag about = /. Still glad it got it. I think it's looking to be one of the best superhero games I've seen.

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
Nincompoop said:

kthxbye
That's the one