Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep Launches Official Trailer

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep Launches Official Trailer

Square-Enix has relaunched the official site for Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep, including the first official trailer of the Disney-meets-Final Fantasy action RPG series' latest installment for the PSP.

In preparation for the game's release (scheduled for Winter 2009), Square-Enix has given the official Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep site [http://www.square-enix.co.jp/kingdom/bbs/] an overhaul, including the trailer you see above. And, well, it... looks like Kingdom Hearts. The game stars Roxas from Kingdom Hearts II a guy who is the identical twin to Roxas from Kingdom Hearts II though apparently is not him, some girl with blue hair, and a guy who looks like Zack from FF7 (down to the mismatched shoulder armor, even).

Presumably, they venture through various Disney animated worlds - we see Cinderella, Snow White, and Alice in Wonderland - and fight the various villains, who have teamed up with the series' prime antagonists, the Heartless. Or... wait, are they Nobodies? Or are the main characters Nobodies, and, uh... dammit, who are they fighting again?

Okay, I guess I don't remember the Kingdom Hearts canon as well as I thought, but there are Heartless and Nobodies, and presumably one or the other (or both) is going to get beaten up with various weaponry that may or may not resemble a giant key (or hopefully a chainsaw [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93033-Kingdom-Hearts-Originally-Had-Chainsaws]).

More information about Birth By Sleep will undoubtedly surface later this month at the Tokyo Game Show, so stay tuned.

(Joystiq [http://www.psphyper.com/psp/kingdom-hearts-birth-by-sleep-official-site-opens/])

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
I so must get this game. I'm a huge KH fan. The combat is the best in the hack n' slash genre. Although the story is more silly than monkeys in PJ's square-dancing.

Blackmagic1515

Jul 6, 2009
I really want to play this. Mostly just to find out if that really is Zack from FF7 and also because I love the Kingdom Hearts series. But I don't have PSP unfortunately. Guess I've got to save up and get one.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Meh someone failed to research properly... But yeah known about this for ages...
And more about it then some people do apparently, how embaressing...

Gerazzi

Feb 18, 2009
Well, I'll be looking forward to it, but if I hear bad reviews, I'm not getting it.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Charli said:
Meh someone failed to research properly... But yeah known about this for ages...
And more about it then some people do apparently, how embarrassing...
I had to...
I never liked this series but my brother might get it.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Aura Guardian said:
Charli said:
I had to...
Ah but you see, you didn't have to, you've been programmed. The world is a lie. The matrix is coming to get you man. Okay I'm done.

MajoraPersona

Aug 4, 2009
This is a prequel, which supposedly happens before everyone has their hearts ripped out. Or something like that.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Oddly enough, I've been listening to "Fate of the Unknown" (The music in the trailer) a lot lately, so I'm probably getting more excited about this than I should be. However, if I ever get my hands on a PSP I'll probably get it. More environment interaction in combat looks fun.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Charli said:
Aura Guardian said:
Charli said:
I had to...
Ah but you see, you didn't have to, you've been programmed. The world is a lie. The matrix is coming to get you man. Okay I'm done.
Hahaha. That made my day. You are awesome

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
In Birth by Sleep[i/] alongside Heartless and Nobodies, they are fighting creatures called the Unbirth (the blue guys), which are neither Heartless nor Nobodies. Actually, also, from what I remember, the characters names are Terra (Earth), who is the tall guy who reminds everyone of Zack, Ventus (Ven for short. Ventus means Wind. He's the guy who looks like Roxas), and Aqua, who is the blue haired girl (Obviously, her name means water).

Sora means sky. Kairi means sea. Riku means land. See a connection here?

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
Aahh, need rage building.

As the guy above me said, it is not Roxas, it is Ven. Each of the characters, so I am lead to believe, are either Keyblade Masters, or were trained under the Keyblade master. They're searching for Master Xehanort (Who I think is connected to the man in the secret trailer of KHII massively). I also heard that you can switch between characters, like separate stories, which I doubt a lot. Though Aqua is built for magic, Ven is an agile fighter, and Terra is just your standard tank. A lot can be learned from the secret movie, but the thing I want to find out the most is...

"Who was the guy in the biological-armor similar to Riku's?"

CustomMagnum

Mar 6, 2009
Blackmagic1515 said:
I really want to play this. Mostly just to find out if that really is Zack from FF7 and also because I love the Kingdom Hearts series. But I don't have PSP unfortunately. Guess I've got to save up and get one.
Well, I can answer the first thing right now. Nope, not Zack. That's a new character named Terra. Kinda like how that guy who looks exactly like Roxas is actually a new character called Ven. Only Ven looking like Roxas is probably going to be important to the story.