#171: A Flash of Light

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Prime_Hunter_H01 said:
CyanCat47 said:
That's a bit of a paradox. Gods in FF are traditionally villains, yet angels, servants of the abrahamic god, are good. Where is the logic in that?
Because it looks cool.

Christianity is not that common in Japan so a lot of times it's symbolism is just used to have a striking visual effect. An image of angels bathing someone in light may be striking but not have as much immediate meaning to them as to us. Similar to how you could show someone from the West some art of events in Buddhism and it may look amazing and inspire a want to recreate that image, though if you are not familiar with that culture most of its meaning will be lost on you.
To Quote Terry Pratchett 'Wisdom is one of the few things that looks bigger the further away it is.'

As the great philosopher Mrs. Cosmopolite says, "There's a lot goes on we don't know about, in my opinion."

warmachine

Hating everyone equally
Legacy
Nov 28, 2012
Country
United Kingdom
This looks like a mythological reference that I've never heard of. Flying people with wings in white clothing and Roman sandals playing a harp and emanating light looks like Western-Christian angels. Angel light pulling evil crystal entities from people? Never heard of anything like that and I'm a Westerner.

AidoZonkey

Musician With A Heart Of Gold
Oct 18, 2011
CyanCat47 said:
That's a bit of a paradox. Gods in FF are traditionally villains, yet angels, servants of the abrahamic god, are good. Where is the logic in that?
I mean this is the series where the majority of games have you taking directions from crystals, I think they are way past logic here

In reality though I think its more of a design choice then anything, FF7's world doesn't even have gods, just a living aether that flows though the planet. Also I don't think FF7 sees all angels as good, especially the one winged ones

enginieri

Apr 1, 2015
Hey!!! It was the baddies turn, and they barely move (in a not so large room) and nothing else, are you sure Grey that all of them used all their actions before our lovely pyrohealer started casting "mass exorcism"?

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
enginieri said:
Ummm I'm more of an D&D guy, what kind of "angelic"? spell in FF-verse has the effect/side-effect of disintegrate/sublimate crystals?
if I had to guess this is a limit break or summon heal which tend to work a lot like wish does when you use it to heal in 2.5.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Fijiman said:
ChaplainOrion said:
I'm going to bet it's meant to be a healing spell, but she messes up so everyone gets sick and throws up instead.
So long as the end result is the same I don't think it will matter too much if she buggers it up.
You saw Rad whisper in her ear, so that will be the intended effect.

whirsil

May 25, 2011
Chimpzy said:
Prime_Hunter_H01 said:
enginieri said:
Ummm I'm more of an D&D guy, what kind of "angelic"? spell in FF-verse has the effect/side-effect of disintegrate/sublimate crystals?
I am guessing they are going for the Great Gospel from FFVII. I do not remember if it healed status effects though if it did I guess crystal possession is just a status effect?
Well, the comic already riffs on FFVII a lot anyway, so I'm pretty sure that is indeed a Great Gospel expy, minus the rain.

And yeah, IIRC, Great Gospel fully heals HP and MP, removes all bad status effects, revives all KO'd party members and gives temporary invincibility.
Makes sence, since vomiting is a Nature's "Poisona".

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Looks like I'll be bookmarking a new site for this series. I wonder if this is the last one or if one more will be released on Monday.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Anyone know where to follow Grey now?

His website hasn't been updated since 2014
His twitter hasn't been updated since January
His Patreon hasn't been updated since February
And Dyingalone.net is actually behind the escapist for updates

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Quellist said:

I think you're thinking of his pinned tweet (from January), which shows up first on the feed. Look under. Guy is on Twitter all day, every day. And he mentioned dyingalone.net a few days ago.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
Quellist said:

I think you're thinking of his pinned tweet (from January), which shows up first on the feed. Loook under. Guy is on Twitter all day, every day. And he mentioned dyingalone.net a few days ago.
Ahh thanks, I missed that!

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
The next comic is up over at: http://dyingalone.net/archives/comic/172-healing
How crappy would it be to discuss it here on The Escapist? Probably pretty crappy.

youngstormlord

Sep 24, 2013
Clankenbeard said:
How crappy would it be to discuss it here on The Escapist? Probably pretty crappy.
Too bad there is no forums or comments on dyingalone.net or else we would have discussed it there.

So, my question is, why is Rad puking crystals when he never drank them in the first place?

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
youngstormlord said:
Clankenbeard said:
Too bad there is no forums or comments on dyingalone.net or else we would have discussed it there.

So, my question is, why is Rad puking crystals when he never drank them in the first place?
Good question. Same question applied to the Crystal Corp President who is also about to toss his cookies. Perhaps Rad accidentally swallowed some of Erin's vomit. That's a pretty gross thought.

ArcaneGamer

Dec 21, 2014
Clankenbeard said:
Let's do that, then. =D

Since there isn't a forum or Disquis on the site, let's use THIS page to comment, shall we? =)

Well done, Althea. Clever girl. Not sure how Sarge is going to be..."purified" of his crystals. Helmet.