Valve Flies L4D2 Boycotters to HQ to Prove Them Wrong

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Valve Flies L4D2 Boycotters to HQ to Prove Them Wrong

In an effort to give some very squeaky wheels some much-needed grease, Valve has flown two prominent Left 4 Dead 2 boycott leaders out to their headquarters to make them eat their words.

Despite Valve's attempts to placate the angry Left 4 Dead 2 boycotters by reiterating their intentions to continue supporting the first L4D, many remain unconvinced. "Facta Non Verba," they claim: Actions speak louder than words. Even actions like the upcoming Crash Course campaign aren't enough, either, which is why it looks like Valve has pulled out the big guns: The company has flown two prominent L4D2 detractors - Walking_Target and Agent of Chaos - out to its Bellevue, Washington HQ.

Oh sure, it's easy to imagine that sentence reading something like "has flown two prominent L4D2 detractors out to its headquarters, whereupon Gabe Newell met them at the door with a baseball bat and crowbar and a strong loathing for intact kneecaps," but no, that wasn't actually what happened. In fact, it seems to have been quite the opposite: The two were given the opportunity to meet with and question the L4D2 team in person, and to get their hands on the game and check it out for themselves.

The two seem reassured that Valve will not be dropping support for the first game. Their report says that 4v4 matchmaking will hit before L4D2 does, that Crash Course will be slightly delayed to "soon," and that the staff wasn't finished with the original four Survivors. But what about L4D2?

"[T]hings seemed balanced and 'tight' and did not feel like a rushed job. While we were visiting their offices we personally witnessed what can only be called a small army of artists, coders, mappers hard at work, which explains the rapid transformations in artwork that we've all seen," wrote Walking_Target [http://steamcommunity.com/groups/L4D2boycott/announcements/detail/90227062007438947].

"What we can say with confidence is that the quality of gameplay in Left 4 Dead 2 is not in question; and it will only get better (from what we understand, almost daily testing of game builds by most of the staff at Valve)."

The two boycott leaders may be on their way to becoming convinced, but does that same opinion trickle down to the rest of the detractors? Most certainly not: "As far as this advertisement for L4D 2 is concerned, this just disgusts me. This group is nothing but a shill and has lost every ounce of credibility," posted Steam user Keeshin (and that would be one of the more polite accusations, too).

Mr. Newell? I think it's time to break out the crowbar for the next ones. (And to, uh ... wash your shirt.)

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
So two people bitching about the game, basically saying they don't want it to exist, get rewarded by being flown out to see the game first hand? If I'd known that could happen I'd ***** more often.

Unless of course those two 'members' were actually Valve employees who faked joining and they did this as a PR stunt to make the boycotter's STFU.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
This defies logic. So, these guys complain, WAY more than some of the other L4D boycotters, and because their wails of doom are the loudest, and because their arrogant, pretentious doomsaying was the best, they get an all-access pass to investigate L4D2? What about us? What about the L4D fans that actually like the franchise and trust the developers? What about those that have remained faithful since the beginning?

I'm sorry, but what about us?

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Machines Are Us said:
Unless of course those two 'members' were actually Valve employees who faked joining and they did this as a PR stunt to make the boycotter's STFU.
Walking Target is the founder of the Group.

So yeah, this is either the greatest PR scheme of the century, or it's legit. A good deal of the boycotters though will likely think the former, conspiracy theorists that they are.

ThisWasAWaste

Aug 7, 2009
To those who say "not fair", I don't think valve is actually thinking of it as rewarding the detractors, I think Valve is just taking the detractors too seriously, which actually once again reinforces why they're the best damn game developer out there.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
When the boycott first surfaced it seemed silly but somewhat understandable. Initially L4D2 looked kinda rushed and lol (yes, I use lol as an adjective) but as more stuff has been revealed it seems to me as if the boycott has become more about being to proud to admit you were wrong than actually believing in what they say.

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
haha his shirt, Im glad I wasnt the only one to notice it.

Well it seems a bit 1984 ish but we'll see

neoman10

Big Brother
Sep 23, 2008
Valve is awesome, to think I used to not like their games......that was before I got TF2 though

DogofRaw

Apr 24, 2009
What do I have to do to valve to get a free tour? Give a (when considered objectivly) good review of one of their games, like yatzee, or hurl unfounded accusations at them ? The second one requires far less talent so I think Ill go for that.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
I don't understand. Since when was the quality of L4D2 in question? I thought the main point of the boycott was about the announcement of 2 before any substantial DLC content was released and the effect it would have on the L4D community. Although you gotta give Valve props for being able to buy off the leaders for the low price of 2 plane tickets.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
Jesus Christ Valve. You're so dumb. You don't give attention whores attention. It's just a bad idea. Release your game and tell them to fuck off.

Mar 17, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
(And to, uh. Wash your shirt.)
Yeah, I was going to say something about that. Fight the stereotype, eh?

Anyway, for what I'm concerned, this whole L4D2 boycott business is all bs. The game's gonna rock, and you'll be first line buying it on launch day.

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
funksobeefy said:
haha his shirt, Im glad I wasnt the only one to notice it.

Well it seems a bit 1984 ish but we'll see
Honestly I could hardly read the article. I was like "What the fuck is that on his shirt" every 5 words. Just because your a good game devoloper doesnt mean you dont get to change your shirt.

SomeUnregPunk

Jan 15, 2009
L4D2 detractors are like the 9/11 truthers... you can show a brick exists by shoving it in their face and they will still not believe.

Nevyrmoore

Aug 13, 2009
Oh great...so even when the biggest naysayers of L4D2 are somewhat convinced, there's no chance that hundreds of thousands of people could be wrong, right? Nope, they must be Valve spies who created the group and are quite clearly being paid to say it's great! That or a sellout!

Seriously, if you're one of these mouth breathing retards, please remove yourself from the gene pool.