Scribblenauts Getting UK-Specific Words

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Scribblenauts Getting UK-Specific Words

All you crazy Britons out there won't have to bother with any incomprehensible American-isms when Scribblenauts hits UK shores next month, because 5th Cell is giving the word-centric game a full UK localization.

I don't understand half the words in the following statement from a recent Scribblenauts press release:

"Do you know your eggplant from your aubergine? How about your binky from your dummy? You may think you know your pants from your trousers but if you find yourself in the US, you'd be going for a very different look..."

But that's okay, because I will have an American version of 5th Cell's word-centric puzzler Scribblenauts to play without any weird words I don't know. UK customers of the game won't have to suffer through any headaches, either, because 5th Cell is going the extra mile and giving the game a UK localization.

Seem a bit excessive that a game needs to be localized from the US to the UK? We do speak the same language, after all. Scribblenauts, however, operates on a mechanic where any kind of confusion thanks to words could mess up all the fun, though: players conjure objects by typing words into the game - basketball, God, UFO, for example - to solve puzzles.

"Faucets, popsicles, sidewalks, diapers and, of course, the meaning mess that is football and soccer, will confuse British DS owners no more," 5th Cell wrote.

Considering that the Scribblenauts word database supposedly numbers in the tens of thousands, this must be a serious labor of love for 5th Cell. It's not just that the dictionary is being tweaked for Americanisms, though: there will be new words specifically for the UK market as well. So you wacky kids can summon your spotted dicks [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotted_dick] all you want.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Wait, does that mean If I wrote "bottle" in the american version, it woudld not understand the word?

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
This game just sounds so brilliant, I might actually go buy a cheap DS to play it, I wonder if I can add a fag into it, smoking may kill but it also makes you look cool kids.

Beltom

Professional Lurker
Sep 8, 2008
This may be, but will it understand cockney rhyming slang? Lor' luv a duck! I'm michael owen ter complain. Know what I mean? Don't go telling pork pies now.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Good.

You US lot and your pants. Only Batman wears his pants on the outside you dummies.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Holy crumpets! Crikey,guv'nor! *insert some more stereotypical british words here*

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
now if only the little guy would wear a top hat and a monocle instead of that silly red hood.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
There needs to be regional versions in the US too for that matter. After moving to Massachusetts, I can't tell you how frustrating it was to find a drinking fountain since I refused to call them "bubblers" (still the stupidest piece of New England jargon there is.)

Electric Gel

Mar 26, 2009
Ay up! Hope we ?av some Lincolnshire slang in there, I want to write bog and ?lecky and have the game know what I mean. This is grand, this is!

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
I'm just wondering how many languages there are going to be in all versions of the game.

Like, if I can set it to French in the Swedish version... Oh please, I hope I don't have to play it in Swedish.

guardian001

Oct 20, 2008
Just as an FYI for anybody who hasn't seen it yet, there is a (supposedly) complete list of words here. [http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2009/09/12/scribblenauts-dictionary-list-of-all-22802-words.htm] Sorry for linking to an outside site, but I sure as hell wasn't gonna copy over all 22802 words.

OT:This is probably a good idea, even if it probably won't get used much. As rare as these mix ups will probably be, still better to include it and be sure than not to include it and confuse the hell some people.

RavingPenguin

Engaged to PaintyFace
Jan 20, 2009
Sparrow said:
Good.

You US lot and your pants. Only Batman wears his pants on the outside you dummies.
What about Superman?

OT: Umm I dont know what to say. Horray? I guess. Its neat that they include a UK edition, but it doesn't really affect me.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Keane Ng said:
Seem a bit excessive that a game needs to be localized from the US to the UK? We do speak the same language, after all.
I agree with this. Which is why from now on every game shall be localized in UK English and not US English. I'm sure there aren't any Americans that object to this?

Oh, yeah, don't want to act too serious on the Escapist so 'Corr, blimey Guvnor, give us another scones' or whatever we're supposed to say.

plastic_window

Jun 29, 2008
Aw that's nice of them. I don't own a DS so I can't buy this - and if I did have a DS I would get it anyway - but this is not only a nice marketing move, it's a nice thing to do anyway.

Particularly since, as the quote suggests, the difference between football and soccer won't be a problem in either Britain or America.