Scribblenauts Getting UK-Specific Words

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
Psychosocial said:
Lol, the game's already released on the internet. Just to try it early, I got it. I'm gonna buy it on release as well, just wanted to test it early, and the controls are so damn bad. :(

Well, couldn't they have just included both UK and US words in one big version, for us who live in countries that don't speak english at all?
the combining of dictionarys would be a nightmare. what would pants create, or football? I suppose a do oyu mean UK or US when you use an ambiguous word could cover it

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
There needs to be regional versions in the US too for that matter. After moving to Massachusetts, I can't tell you how frustrating it was to find a drinking fountain since I refused to call them "bubblers" (still the stupidest piece of New England jargon there is.)
Really? That must be a MA thing. I lived in New England for four years and never heard that.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
does that mean that we won't have to do your stupid way of spelling "colour"? huzzar!

Also, come to think of it, how is this game meant to work in non-English speaking countries??? its only just occured to me :S

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Simalacrum said:
does that mean that we won't have to do your stupid way of spelling "colour"? huzzar!

Also, come to think of it, how is this game meant to work in non-English speaking countries??? its only just occured to me :S
Don't you mean "Huzzah!". Cazy misspelling Brits.

Also, lots of tedious localization is how it will work.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Eldritch Warlord said:
Simalacrum said:

I now declare you my public nemesis, yankee!

Doc Theta Sigma

Jan 5, 2009
I was going to buy this anyway... But jubilations! Good to see a company actually think before they do things :D

daz_O_O

Click me I'm here!
Aug 27, 2008
That explains the 3 week delay, at first I was disappointed and though I hoped it would be for localisation, I didn't expect it.

This is great news, 5th Cell are awesome.

Jonatron

Sep 8, 2008
Xvito said:
I'm just wondering how many languages there are going to be in all versions of the game.

Like, if I can set it to French in the Swedish version... Oh please, I hope I don't have to play it in Swedish.
DS doesn't have regional coding, so buy whatever version you want. I know the US version has/will have French as an option.

WhiteTiger225

Aug 6, 2009
I am getting the UK version AND the US version to see what happens when I write Fag on the UK version, then on the US version! :D

WhiteTiger225

Aug 6, 2009
Simalacrum said:
Eldritch Warlord said:
Simalacrum said:

I now declare you my public nemesis, yankee!
Dang redcoats! TO ARMS! TO ARMS!

mayney93

Aug 3, 2009
im getting this game it lloks cool indeed, i wonder what happens if u type in yahtzee

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
mayney93 said:
im getting this game it lloks cool indeed, i wonder what happens if u type in yahtzee
It probably summons a fedora.

Simalacrum said:
Really, what is the point of that "U"? You guys and your excessive vowels.

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
What about colour (typing color actually kills me a little inside)? I suppose that's not an object, or is it? Man, my brain hurts.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Kollega said:
Holy crumpets! Crikey,guv'nor! *insert some more stereotypical british words here*
Pip Pip! Tally Ho!
Up The Apples & Pears!
Oingo boingo whoopsie knickers?

In all seriousness, though, I wonder just what's the exact number of UK-specific words they're programming into the game. Is our (US) slang that different from theirs (UK) that say, two hundred extra words need to be put in, or is it just a few dozen?

Nevyrmoore

Aug 13, 2009
Jonatron said:
DS doesn't have regional coding, so buy whatever version you want.
Unless you've bought the DSi. Then you're fucked.
Seriously, why did they decide to bring in region encoding for the DSi? It is, to my knowledge, the only Nintendo handheld to do it, so why the sudden change of heart?

Regarding the OP: I was expecting this. I may use Americanisms, but I'm getting better, and I didn't want yet another influence screwing that up.

Jonatron

Sep 8, 2008
Nevyrmoore said:
Jonatron said:
DS doesn't have regional coding, so buy whatever version you want.
Unless you've bought the DSi. Then you're fucked.
Seriously, why did they decide to bring in region encoding for the DSi? It is, to my knowledge, the only Nintendo handheld to do it, so why the sudden change of heart?

Regarding the OP: I was expecting this. I may use Americanisms, but I'm getting better, and I didn't want yet another influence screwing that up.
Really? Dang.