The King of Fighters Movie Trailer Is Confusing

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
The King of Fighters Movie Trailer Is Confusing

King of Fighters, the live-action movie: Where Kyo Kusanagi is white, Terry Bogard is a CIA agent, Iori Yagami plays hockey, and the actress who plays Vice has actually heard of the game.

There is a very fine line between So Bad It's Horrible [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Ptitlethsq3mffp09i], and it looks to me like this live-action adaptation of King of Fighters straddles that line.

On the one hand? Okay, let's try to be as even-handed as possible for a moment: The cast and crew are approaching this movie with the right attitude. They're trying to make a movie that, in their own words, "is going to be fun" with a pulpy, comic-book-slash-anime-slash-videogame feel to it. That's the right direction to take this, for sure.

On the other hand, what the hell? Going into another dimension to fight - are you sure you didn't get the Mortal Kombat screenplay delivered by mistake, guys? Why is Kyo Kusanagi white? Why is Iori Yagami wearing a hockey outfit? Are those really the final visual effects you'll be using? And I'm sorry, but that outfit for Mai Shiranui clearly has to go - it's not nearly as cleavage-tacular as it needs to be. I recommend getting some members from Tecmo's Team Ninja as consultants.

But my one biggest complaint with the "behind the scenes" trailer featured above: Where the hell is Terry Bogard's "Fatal Fury" hat?! I'm prepared to forgive a lot of things, folks... but not that. Terry Bogard needs his goddamned hat, or else no deal - period.

(Via Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/10/09/behind-the-horrifying-scenes-of-the-king-of-fighters-movie/])

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Oh god it's Street Fighter all over again. Oh Hollywood, you will never learn.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
This is going to be hilariously bad, like Street Fighter or DOA, instead of surprisingly good, like Mortal Kombat.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Well...its gotta be better than another Judd Apatow movie. Even if the humor is unintentional.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
The one game I thought wouldn't be touched by the stain of film-making...

Oh how wrong was I?

Seriously, I had respect for KoF, but now...surely not all of the developers want to see their games torn apart and disgraced by films?

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
That movie looks terrible. Its like Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li all over again. >_>

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Why can't the creators of these games be involved in the production of the movies? Are the film makers afraid they'll make the movies good and have sense? And why do film makers have to go out there way to create these uber-fantasy/sci-fi plots that have little to nothing to do with the games? Are they afraid of grounding this stuff in the real world, while bending a few laws of physics along the way?

Then again, I'm asking a brick wall why it's not talking back.

leonhart126

Jul 16, 2009
I just don't understand why they always feel the need to go for tacky looking live action, as opposed to an anime style film which would look so much better and allow them to do so much more with it.

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
Low budget - check
American actors playing Asian characters - check
Actors who think the movie is "deep" - check

Yep. It's a movie.

Disembodied_Dave

The Could-Have-Been-King
Feb 5, 2009
Terry isn't Terry with out his hat and long hair. (Don't give me that Cry of the Wolf {or whatever it's called} junk either). What is he going to throw off now after he wins now?

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
I gotta say, this movie is nowhere near "so bad it's horrible." Not even "so bad it's good." It just looks bad. Entertaining, but bad.

"SBIG" would mean that it's bad qualities are endearing as is the case with Plan 9 From Outer Space. "SBIH" means it compensated for the endearing bad parts by being unapologetically offensive to the point of nausea.

In both cases, the movie achieves some measure of infamy for it's shortcomings. Saying that this movie is either of those is giving it way too much credit. It's just a bad movie that will make people mad for a few weeks before melting into a tiny drop of vague contempt in the vast ocean of media obscurity.

Chocomint

Jul 12, 2009
There are no words for how blindingly shitty this movie looks.

Seriously, what's next? Guilty Gear? What else can you massacre, Hollywood?