Scottish Hotel Bans Videogames Over the Holidays

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Scottish Hotel Bans Videogames Over the Holidays

One of the oldest hotels in Scotland is imposing a ban on videogames over the holidays in order to help "restore traditional family values," even if only for a few days.

The Crieff Hydro hotel [http://www.crieffhydro.com/index.asp] in Perthshire, Scotland, was founded in 1868 and is believed to be the country's oldest family-run hotel. Managing Director Stephen Leckie, the fifth generation of his family to run the hotel, said earlier this week that he's hoping the ban on gaming will encourage families to spend quality time together over the holidays.

"As a father-of-four, I'm well aware of the role that computer games play in youngsters' lives and they undoubtedly have a place," Leckie told STV [http://news.stv.tv/scotland/134479-hotel-bans-computer-games-over-christmas/]. "However with Christmas holidays being the ideal opportunity to spend quality time with our families, we're asking our younger guests to set their consoles and games aside for just a few days of the year and, instead, sample some new activities which they may never have tried before."

The hotel is offering a number of activities for the holiday season ranging from Highland games and ceilidhs to quad biking, archery, "outdoor laser quest" and more. "We're realistic, acknowledging that teenagers may want some time away from their parents, and vice-versa, and there are plenty activities to break free and be independent with family friends or others in their peer group," Leckie said.

I'm obviously not one to be too critical of kids who want to blow their holidays playing videogames (I've done it myself a few times) and obviously this isn't for everyone, but all in all I think it's a pretty cool idea. It's good to put the controller down every now and then and do something else for awhile, and a holiday stay at the Crieff Hydro should certainly qualify as one of those times.

via: GameCulture [http://www.gameculture.com/2009/11/03/hotel-bans-video-games-over-holidays]

InvisibleMilk

Nov 19, 2008
I've lost many a time with the family due to immersive Rpg's, or a nice winning streak on Cod.
But really, does Scotland have a bad video game problem? Whoever takes their teenager to one of the oldest hotels in the nation certainly wouldn't want them to play video games, that's for sure.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
I like this idea.
I don't think that a few days without videogames will do any harm.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
You'll make people resent you for imposing rules on them like that, better not to make an issue about whatever.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Radeonx said:
I like this idea.
I don't think that a few days without videogames will do any harm.
Besides the mass riots and murders in the streets.

inglioti

Oct 10, 2009
yes, it's like when my dad took away my ps3 >.<" (i'm nineteen - stop making fun of me.)

although i was pretty annoyed for a while, i did get a lot more reading done, and spoke to my parents and brothers a lot more.

so, i like this idea. games are good, but only in moderation. i think that 40+ hr a week gamers will agree it might have been the best idea when asked 30 years into the future if they spent the time wisely.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
How could they!? Taking away video games for Christmas! All they're giving them in exchange is archery, laser tag, quad biking...

I wanna go! :(

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
I am a game addict, but I think that this is actually quite reasonable, and the outdoor laser tag sounds fun.

DevilSShadoW

Oct 29, 2009
I can't imagine any kid playing video games whilst having a quad bike waiting for him outside. Especially if you're there with friends/people of your own age.

GenHellspawn

Jan 1, 2008
A hotel banning what their customers do? I mean, the activities they're providing are nice, but that's just an incredibly poor decision on their part. Are they really naive enough to think that the parents of these kids don't know their own children as well as the hotel staff? That's ridiculous.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Malygris said:
I'm obviously not one to be too critical of kids who want to blow their holidays playing videogames (I've done it myself a few times) and obviously this isn't for everyone, but all in all I think it's a pretty cool idea. It's good to put the controller down every now and then and do something else for awhile, and a holiday stay at the Crieff Hydro should certainly qualify as one of those times.
I agree 100% with you, Andy. I'm 19 now and during the summer holidays this year, while I was home from university, I went to Cornwall (UK) for a week with my family. I used the internet once in that week, and that was only because I needed to check up on part-time job interviews. Gaming is a good hobby, and for me, hopefully a potential career. But when you're on holiday, you're better off doing something outdoors or being social. In Cornwall, I went to the Eden Project, the Tate St. Ives art gallery, various beaches and attractions, and so on. Gaming is good for spare time, but the Crieff Hydro has a great idea here by essentially making sure kids get the most out of their holiday. You can play games plenty at home. On holiday, it's a time to enjoy yourself, see the sights and attractions, and have fun that doesn't revolve around a virtual world, after all :)

TheFacelessOne

Feb 13, 2009
Hm. Well, thats one way to handle the situation. Kids should take advantage of the unique enviroment they're in. I would.

History rules!

CloakedOne

Oct 1, 2009
here here! families should spend more time with each other. Sometimes, a little rule here or there may go a long way to a better society.

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
At least they're offering activities that sound quite interesting to do. I wouldn't mind giving up my games temporarily if those choices were offered.