The Thousand Dollar Steampunk Memory Stick

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
The Thousand Dollar Steampunk Memory Stick

Punch cards? Totally passé. Handcrafted USB sticks that cost $1000? That's the way of the future!

At over $15 a gigabyte, the Pocket Memory 5 does not exactly represent great value for money, but when you take a look at the custom made 64Gb memory stick, it's hard not to feel a little tempted by it. The drive was created by Will Rockwell [http://www.etsy.com/shop/WillRockwell], a steampunk artist, and is built out of brass and copper, with a glowing jewel at the end.

In Rockwell's own words "This enormous drive is the culmination of months of research into the design and potential of Steampunk USB drives ... The drive comes in its own custom velvet lined box and features a unique "cooling system" of pipes and manifolds to ventilate the enormous memory. "

I'm not going to pretend that it's a steal at only a grand, but it sure is pretty.

Source: io9 [http://gizmodo.com/5414612/64gb-steampunk+inspired-usb-stick-priced-into-the-stratosphere?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+gizmodo/full+(Gizmodo)]

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
It doesn't even look all that good. I probably wouldn't even pay €100 for that.

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
There's no way I'd pay that amount for that. I don't think it looks particularly cool to be honest...

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
I'd pay $45 for that, at the very most. :\ Very cool though, considering it is made with metals rather than a cheap plastic cover over a flash drive.

gmacarthur81

<(^.^<) <(^.^)> (>^.^)>
Nov 13, 2009
Being made of brass and copper with some non-functional gears tacked on does NOT make this thing Steampunk.

It makes it a really expensive poseur.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
gmacarthur81 said:
Being made of brass and copper with some non-functional gears tacked on does NOT make this thing Steampunk.

This. Plus it's expensive beyond any logical belief. You could buy a 1TB external hard drive for less. Hell you could buy two 1TB external drives for less.

and yet a bunch of trendy celebutards would probably buy one.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Lilani said:
I'd pay $45 for that, at the very most. :\ Very cool though, considering it is made with metals rather than a cheap plastic cover over a flash drive.
HAHAHA.

$45 dollars for 64gb?? Even if it was an ordinary memory stick it'd be much more than that!

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
gmacarthur81 said:

In total agreement.

For $1000 I'd expect it at least have moving parts.
As it stands it doesn't even LOOK like brass.
It looks like the entire thing is make of molded plastic, even the gears, which have been rather disgustingly BENT round the thing, because that just exudes the illusion that the gears serve a purpose...

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
Why?

Seriously...just, why?

And WHO would buy this...?

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
AceDiamond said:
gmacarthur81 said:

This. Plus it's expensive beyond any logical belief. You could buy a 1TB external hard drive for less. Hell you could buy two 1TB external drives for less.

and yet a bunch of trendy celebutards would probably buy one.
Actually you could buy about 8 TB drives with that.