The Thousand Dollar Steampunk Memory Stick

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=29101816
One last thing by this guy you should check out.
Fuck, it's awesome.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
Nimbus said:
It doesn't even look all that good. I probably wouldn't even pay €100 for that.
I was thinking this too. It actually looks really shoddily made. Who cares about a custom box for it? It's functional, not ornamental.

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
Acidwell said:
You are looking at external hard drives not flash drives and the flash drive that this uses costs $140 dollars and anything bigger cost around $500.
Also this is categorized as "art" and considering that people have bought a urinal for ?1.7, $1000 is a fairly good price in comparison.
My point was that if you need memory, there are far more economical ways to get it.

Unless you're some kind of crazy super spy that needs must have a giant thumbdrive you can, ahem, hide on your person to slip past unsuspecting guards.

I know some people are just REALLY into thumbdrives. But my external USB 320GB drive is smaller than my hand. I guess it would be cooler if it were as big as my thumb. But really - is it THAT big of a difference?

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
From his site:
I apologize in advance for the high price, this is my favorite drive now and I just don't want to give it up.
This is a signed, one of a kind work of art, I will not make another exactly like it.
It's priced so high literally because he doesn't want anyone to buy it. Kinda like when artists at galleries price that insignificant little canvas or photo for $3000. They'd rather keep it unless someone was willing to pay through the nose for it.

reposting, since apparently many of you fools lack reading comprehension.

KaiRai

Jun 2, 2008
I.....must....have....one.....

It looks so cool! Pricey as hell though :/

lostclause

Mar 31, 2009
The Rogue Wolf said:
Awesome! I've finally found a good USB stick for my laptop [http://www.thisnext.com/item/6E39B094/Datamancers-Steampunk].
I think I'd buy the laptop over the memory stick any day.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
Doesn't look good at all, not even in a steampunk way. Just not attractive.

Waste of 'months of research'.

Skuffyshootster

Jan 13, 2009
The Rogue Wolf said:
Awesome! I've finally found a good USB stick for my laptop [http://www.thisnext.com/item/6E39B094/Datamancers-Steampunk].
Do you actually have that? It's beautiful!

As for the memory stick, I wouldn't pay 20 bucks for it.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
So WHY is it so much money?? Because it has a heatsink or because it comes in a box?

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
There is no way in hell I'd pay that much for just 64Gb. I'd rather use the money to get some nice high-performance SSDs, and as expensive as they are, a 128Gb one is still quarter the price of that thing, and it makes up for it in sheer performance.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Kuchinawa212 said:
*grabs a bag full of sand*
*stretches fingers*
*music starts playing*
*grabs memory stick and runs for it*
*deploys huge-boulder-deathtrap*
*betrays you halfway through the movie and steals the memory stick*
*gets killed off and memory stick is taken by the protagonist from Damnation*
*Protagonist from Damnation uses memory stick to store an illegally downloaded copy of Damnation*
*Protagonist is killed by Jesus*
*Jesus wins*

Role-play over!

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
AC10 said:
So WHY is it so much money?? Because it has a heatsink or because it comes in a box?
In a memory stick, 64Gb is actually quite a feat. However, at that price, it would be far, far cheaper to just get a bunch of smaller memory sticks. Or an extra hard drive. Or an external hard drive.

Or a new computer, complete with a quad-core processor and a high-end graphic card.

Edit;
Okay, that last option might not be cheaper depending on your build preferences, but it'd be much better value for money.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Acidwell said:
I'm not saying that this is worth a grand but he does do one for $500 that i think is.
gmacarthur81 said:
Being made of brass and copper with some non-functional gears tacked on does NOT make this thing Steampunk.

It makes it a really expensive poseur.
Well it kinda does since Steampunk is a style instead of an actual mechanical system. There is no such thing as a functioning Steampunk anything really.

Archemetis said:
For $1000 I'd expect it at least have moving parts.
As it stands it doesn't even LOOK like brass.
It looks like the entire thing is make of molded plastic, even the gears, which have been rather disgustingly BENT round the thing, because that just exudes the illusion that the gears serve a purpose...
The pipes are part of a working cooling system with a number of pumps and filters in it

[END ACTUAL QUOTE, my bad!]

As much as I appreciate this is mostly personal opinion guiding people's posts here, in the "I like it or don't like it" fashion.

I wanna just say a few things.

We never mentioned the pipes, our main and only gripe was with the gears.
we acknowledge this thing may well be considered art, but what it is, is a style of art. Steampunk has a fairly distinctive look to it, *moving parts(or at least the illusion of them), pipes, gears and brass (with a number of other things i'm missing out, no doubt)
This thing, however, is just a brass encased flash drive with some gears stuck on it. with a little red light stuck on the end, sure it utilizes some of the steampunk theme(the gears). But it doesn't look very steampunk at all.
(*Optional)

This Flash Drive, looks like(read, not is like, and we don't assume to think it is) plastic, which again isn't entirely encouraging, Steampunk doesn't need to be shiny, I get that, but when people are expected to shell out $1000 for this, I think the least the creator could do was give it a bit of a polish. Because I've seen modifider Nerf Guns that looks like more convincing metal work.

And as for your "There is no such thing as a functioning Steampunk anything really."
My browser is being an uncoopertative slut at the moment, but I remember one such machine which was a steampunk style, steampowered motorcycle.
I'd find it and provide a link, but like I said my browser's being stupid.