On Nazis

effilctar

Jul 24, 2009
I personally believe that Nazis believed that what they did would earn them the title of "hero" or "freedom fighter" in their respective culture, much like a religious extremist may believe when they attempt some manner of suicide mission.

ZeroDotZero

Sep 18, 2009
Yes, Hitler made those moustaches unpopular, but managed to get them into the media.

Aliens vs. Predator water gun mode would be awesome.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
I think anyone who has ever paid attention in history class knows about the Nazi's and their actions it's not old news. Putting them in every WW2 style game does get a little boring after defeating them oh say 10 times. Mix it up a little eh?

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
omg i did not need that very describing part about cooking mama at the end, how shall i sleep tonight.

and as far a nazis go, i think they are pretty annoying enemies, partly because of what you brought up with the lazy story telling, but mostly because the games usually get even lazier further in, the nazis have the best weapons so unless your an idiot who searches for hidden rooms so you can keep the crappy thompson your going to use them, they have awesome uniforms, while the allys all looked boring and bland, the nazis looked so awesome, and they stay in groups, mostly you just get send in there alone in a ugly outfit armed with a crappy weapon.

in most ww2 games i actually wished i was fighting for the nazis, i would have backup, access to all the cool toys and i would look stylish, if you cant keep me cheering for the good guys your doing it wrong.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
This is why no bad guy in a game can possibly be a bad guy.

Either they're not as evil as the Nazis, or they're a clone of the Nazi's.

Star Wars' Storm Troopers themselves were based off of Nazis, [the last sentence of this was incredibly ignorant of me, *snipped]

ZeroDotZero

Sep 18, 2009
SnootyEnglishman said:
I think anyone who has ever paid attention in history class knows about the Nazi's and their actions it's not old news. Putting them in every WW2 style game does get a little boring after defeating them oh say 10 times. Mix it up a little eh?
Time travelling super nazis would be nice for once!

rs2000

Apr 16, 2009
If anyone has ever watched the Mitchell & Webb show then you may find this funny!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsNLbK8_rBY

Apr 28, 2008
If the Australian government and the world didn't have their heads stuck up their asses about censorship we wouldn't have the problem of people crying foul over games showing tits and blood.

When will parents and adults learn that all kids lose innocence when they go to public school.

gavinfoxx

Oct 13, 2009
What about the Nazis that attempted to assassinate Hitler? Many of them that were involved in the attempts perfectly understood the systemic evil that he was institutionalizing in the German government, and, as the war wound down, they even understood that they had to make (even an implausible attempt) in order to try to save the honor of their country in the eyes of history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20_July_plot

BTW, of course I know they were in the minority -- if there had been more of these people, than maybe Hitler wouldn't have survived the attempt!

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Well, to quote Will Smith "I doubt Hitler woke up every morning and said to himself 'I'm going to do something evil'" which means, even if you're doing something most would quantify as evil, if you're doing it, you don't quantify it as evil.

This by no means a justification, obviously, but you could understand why a deluded prick who had been gassed might be just slightly out of whack with reality, not to mention his doctor gave him crystal meth daily.

That probably didn't prove conductive to a stable mind...

CyricZ

Sep 19, 2009
Great. Now I'll never look at Cooking Mama the same way without wondering if she wants to gut me. >_<

Apr 28, 2008
gavinfoxx said:
What about the Nazis that attempted to assassinate Hitler? Many of them that were involved in the attempts perfectly understood the systemic evil that he was institutionalizing in the German government, and, as the war wound down, they even understood that they had to make (even an implausible attempt) in order to try to save the honor of their country in the eyes of history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20_July_plot

BTW, of course I know they were in the minority -- if there had been more of these people, than maybe Hitler wouldn't have survived the attempt!
Also this.

I have read many times when German troops were givin orders to "clense" villages, the captains only took volenteers. Most allowed soldiers to opt out of killing innocents.

JoGribbs

May 3, 2009
Great article as always.

I always thought Nazis were popular baddies since society has kind of unanimously taken the moral high ground against them. Portraying other groups as the cartoony villains could get into some rather murky moral territory which developers (or just writers in general) kind of want to avoid for a mass-market product. Then again, Modern Warfare 2 had us shooting evil Russians, and FarCry 2 had us burning the African militia alive, so it seems the rules are flexible.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Aliens' kisses make my laugh...

And nazis didn't particularly think they were the good guys, more like they hated something different and felt they had the right to do it, based in dissinformation and media propaganda. Or did you think racists in the 60s never noticed that they were living an hyperbole?

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
ZeroDotZero said:
Hey, what about a game where a German soldier who tries to assassinate Hitler at a top-secret research lab gets thrown into an alternate dimension where the Americans are Nazis and the Germans are fighting for the freedom of the world?

crimsonshrouds

Mar 23, 2009
Nazi vampires make for really interesting bad guys see Hellsing.

Otherwise i agree with yahtzee nazis are pretty boring enemies...

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
I can't even PLAY The Saboteur thanks to the bone-headed handling of PC compatibility. The beta patch isn't even working for me, nor is any other fix method.

Although I think maybe the Nazis are featured in game so much as some sort of overly-done 'we must not let history repeat itself here' ploy. Not that it's working all that well, but it's certainly a way to make sure the atrocities the Nazis committed won't be forgotten.

I would say that if I were a COMPLETE pillock, of course.

In actual fact I think it is just lazy writing. It is important to not allow history to be forgotten, but still, they could at least try and use the Nazis less.

Booze Zombie said:
ZeroDotZero said:
Hey, what about a game where a German soldier who tries to assassinate Hitler at a top-secret research lab gets thrown into an alternate dimension where the Americans are Nazis and the Germans are fighting for the freedom of the world?
I believe something similar to this occurs in the Command and Conquer Red Alter series; I think Albert Einstien invents a time machine, goes back and kills hitler so WWII never happens, and instead it causes even more problems.