On Nazis

brother librarian

May 28, 2010
the obvious solution to the problem of having an interesting bad guy, while simultaneosly solving the problem of having a good guy that isnt a prissy annoying idiot, is simply to have the player take the place of the bad guy.

it also explains all the meaningless violence to any npc you come across. especially in sandbox style games. plus being the bad guy is fun.

Frozedon

Jul 16, 2009
Yeah. Even in supernatural games you can stick Nazis in. They were not only and Evil army of Evilness. They were also Evil wielders of scientific Black magic. But, i got to admit that it never gets old of killing a Nazi and cursing them out without feeling any whince of regret. Lol

MaddKossack115

Jul 29, 2013
Overall, I'm going to agree with the general consensus, and state that the problem with "Nazis" in popular media is not being able to tell the difference between actual, genocide-worshipping Nazis (Hitler and his fellow members, the SS, some of the crazier soldiers) and people who didn't know about the genocide part, were too scared to defy the Nazi regime, and/or got screwed over by the Nazis for rubbing them the wrong way (most of the proper generals in the German army got screwed over when Hitler decided he could do a better job leading than them, which only served to unravel Germany even further at the end of WWII).

The only game that I think depicted the attitude of the German forces with some accuracy was the Russian campaign in Call of Duty: World at War - the Germans and Russians were equally brutal during their offensives, as both Hitler and Stalin fed propaganda that the other side was full of inhuman monsters (and on top of that, weren't really much different except for Stalin ultimately being more competent than Hitler), and it actually showed the Germans having human emotions (like fear, trying to surrender, etc.) when hounded by the Soviets in the big "push to Berlin" series of missions. Hell, the final level, where the Red Army storms the Reichstag, is the ONLY Call of Duty level dedicated to fighting the Waffen-SS, who are probably the only military units in Germany that have the excuse of acting like the stereotypical Nazis people associate with WWII Germany as a whole, rather than believe some Germans were forced to fight against their will, or were fighting for the pride of their country more than their Fuhrer's nutty ideas of Social Darwinism.

Also, I think the idea of playing the German group trying to assassinate Hitler (i.e. Operation Valkyrie) would be a perfect video game plot: The first act would be to kill or arrest Hitler and the rest of the Nazi Party (Himmler, Goebbels, Goering, etc.), then the second act is to force the Anglo-American offensive of Western Europe to a treaty, then the final act is to take on the tide of the Soviet Union. It would allow a perspective of how a lot of Germans weren't actually into the whole "Nazi-ism" fad as Hitler and his cronies, and show a morally-gray view of the war from the traditionally heroic Anglo-Americans (the Brits in particular doing a lot to accidentally spark Nazism with ruining WWI Germany's economy) and to splash some reality onto the increasingly romanticized WWII-era Soviet Union (as Stalin was without a doubt the most brutal dictator of the USSR's entire history, and was as morally heinous as Hitler - he's only not as reviled for being more pragmatic, and ultimately more successful)