EA Says Mass Effect 2 Has Sold 2 Million Units

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
EA Says Mass Effect 2 Has Sold 2 Million Units

Electronic Arts is calling Mass Effect 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-2-Xbox-360/dp/B001TORSII/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278968926&sr=1-1] the first blockbuster of 2010, based on its 40 perfect review scores and 2 million units sold.

To say that Mass Effect 2 was a highly anticipated game is an understatement. So far, it has lived up to the hype [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/7075-Review-Mass-Effect-2] and Electronic Arts is cashing on its success by listing everything the game accomplished in its first week of release. Here's the investor bullet points:

2 million units sold
40 perfect scores from gaming publications
Over 30 editor's choice awards
Metacritic score of 96, tied for second highest on the Xbox 360
Cover of 45 magazines worldwide
Top ten trending topic on Twitter on launch day

All this and MSNBC is quoted as saying that, "Mass Effect will go down as one of the most influential video game series of all-time."

That's it, game designers. Hang up your mouse. You will never make a more perfect game than Mass Effect 2.

Source: BioWare [http://investor.ea.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=441450]

Premonition

Jan 25, 2010
I am willing to sell my mother to get a 360 and a copy of this game. Well, not my mother. Maybe some of my organs. Anyone up for a spleen?

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
Yet no DRM was required either for Mass Effect 2. Proof that piracy is not the main problem that developers face, but whether the game they create is actually good.

ribonuge

Dec 7, 2009
The sheer quality of Mass Effect 2 is astounding. Bioware damn well deserve this one.

Namewithheld

Apr 30, 2008
When Martin Sheen is the third best thing in your game, you know your game is good!

1) Plot
2) Gameplay
3) Martin Sheen
4) Everything else.

...cause...Martin Sheen is awesome.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
please dont say this is as good as it gets, I'm beginning to feel like the only human in a world of ants, i really didn't like either of the games, like not at all.

so why am i the only human in a world of ant instead of it being the other way round, well one way to look at it is that i am wrong, and the other is that everyone else is, you damn dirty ants!

Apr 28, 2008
Bioware deserves it.

They did a damn good job with this game.

I haven't beaten it yet, I'm taking my sweet time with it.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Very good game. It has the same metacritic as Uncharted 2. I hope it gets GOTY.

Feb 13, 2008
Greg Tito said:
Sorry, this is actually sad. There should never be a "perfect" game.

40 "Wow, this is damn good" is fine. Can we get back to when reviews weren't all "FAIL/WIN"? Even Yahtzee has a sliding scale of crud.

Cryo84R

Gentleman Bastard.
Jun 27, 2009
Every minute feels like it's worth 60$.
There is way more than one minute in this game.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
Sev said:
I am willing to sell my mother to get a 360 and a copy of this game. Well, not my mother. Maybe some of my organs. Anyone up for a spleen?
this makes me feel bad, i have a 360 elite still in its packaging and all it does is holding up my alarm clock.

but i do have a gaming pc and a ps3 so i had no choice.

also they are quite cheap, like a 140 euro (with the game) if you dont care about online gaming.
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Greg Tito said:
Sorry, this is actually sad. There should never be a "perfect" game.

40 "Wow, this is damn good" is fine. Can we get back to when reviews weren't all "FAIL/WIN"? Even Yahtzee has a sliding scale of crud.
oh brother do i agree, it seems that every AAA title nowadays get at least 4 perfect scores, and 8 that want to give a perfect score but still have some dignity as a reviewer left so they give it 99-95.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
The day 1 DLC serves as it's DRM, and while it is good, it is not perfect. I have been playing it for a few days now and I have had to reload more than a few times because the hitbox geometry surround some objects causes me to become stuck in midair.

awsome117

Jan 27, 2009
Awesome, glad to hear it. Bioware definitely deserves it. That said, I still don't plan on buying this game.

Keivz

Dec 4, 2008
Dommyboy said:
Yet no DRM was required either for Mass Effect 2. Proof that piracy is not the main problem that developers face, but whether the game they create is actually good.
Those aren't the PC numbers, mind; so it's hardly proof of anything. That being said, it's fairly obvious that game quality (and/or hype) trumps piracy when determining game sales.

Jun 6, 2009
Dammit! That should be 2 000 001 copies sold!

My local EB Games didn't get enough copies to fufill all of the reseve orders there.

How does that happen!

*closes ears to make sure he doesn't hear ME2 spoilers*