Steam Hits 25 Million Users

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Steam Hits 25 Million Users

2009 was a good year for Valve's Steam service, as its membership grew to 25 million members.

Valve has seen its digital distribution platform grow at an unprecedented rate in 2009, breaking records for both the total number of active accounts and the number of concurrent users. This past year saw the Steam user base grow to over 25 million active accounts, an increase of 25% over the previous year, with the total concurrent users hitting the 2.5 million mark in December, pushing the average number of monthly player minutes to over 13 billion.

"Steam turned five years old in March 2009," said Gabe Newell, president of Valve. "With the introduction of each new platform feature released over the years - such as the Steam Community, Steam Cloud, and Steamworks - we've seen corresponding growth in account numbers, concurrent player numbers and developer support for the platform. As such, we plan to continue to expand and grow the platform to better serve the developers supporting the open platform and millions of gamers logging in each day."

With Steam handling the PC version of Modern Warfare 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Modern-Warfare-Xbox-360/dp/B00269QLI8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278694263&sr=1-1], it's not much of a surprise that the numbers have grown significantly, and as the service is pretty much synonymous with buying games digitally on the PC, the growth isn't going to stop in 2010.

Source: Steam Blog [http://store.steampowered.com/news/3390/]

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
This makes news? seems pretty useless to me. Good for Steam I guess, I'm not suprised they have that many on board at all.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
And to think, I am just one of those 25 million...
Just one more statistic... oh well.
I wonder how many of those 25 million accounts are just alternative accounts for other people...

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
Greyfox105 said:
I wonder how many of those 25 million accounts are just alternative accounts for other people...
or accounts that were made just to play ONE game that someone bought and were forced to sign up.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Woah, nice.

Now how about you post a news about them charging us 50-60 EUR for most, if not all, modern games? MW2 = 60 EUR. Not a joke.

Nov 7, 2009
Skizle said:
Greyfox105 said:
or accounts that were made just to play ONE game that someone bought and were forced to sign up.
Like me! Because I'm too cheep to pay for the full version of Audiosurf.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
And I was part of the people that joined last year.
Go digital distribution.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Yay! I helped, I helped!

Heh, seriously though, given the shift of PC gaming distribution from hard copies to online distribution, this is hardly surprising. I fully expect at least a five million increase within the next year, possibly more. You heard it here first, people :)

Sep 14, 2009
Greyfox105 said:
this is exactly what i was thinking, i know at least four or five people with a few different accounts on there, and thats me personally, so you multiply that out throughout a bunch of people and im sure there would be tons less, if they made you start paying for steam so each person only had one account, i could see it being 12 million easily

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Hurray for being a user since steam came out.
Shame my 1 gripe with it is stat tracking.
Member since Sept 19, 2003.

AWAR

Nov 15, 2009
Hehe yeah i have 2 accounts ^^
Cant imagine the amount of money Steam paid Activision to be the sole distributor of mw2...

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
Two accounts one since 2003. Though I lost my password but it only had Half-life so no worry.

And another in 2008 go Steam!

Arachon

Jun 23, 2008
UberMore said:
I bet Shamus Young is punching big holes into things because of this Statistic.
I was thinking of him as well... But I still say that his points are valid, more now than ever.