Heavy Rain Film Rights Optioned Years Ago

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Heavy Rain Film Rights Optioned Years Ago

Wouldn't it be great if someone made Heavy Rain [http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Rain-Playstation-3/dp/B002CZ38KA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279054514&sr=1-1] into a movie? Turns out that New Line is way ahead of you.

Heavy Rain takes a lot of its cues from movies, so it's not really a surprise that it's so cinematic in tone and seems such a good fit for the big screen. This fact apparently hasn't escaped the notice of New Line Productions, part of Warner Brothers, who optioned the rights to make a film out of the game.

What's really interesting though is that New Line snapped up the rights in 2006, and renewed them in 2007, meaning that the company held the rights for years before the games release.

While this doesn't necessarily mean that a Heavy Rain movie is in the works - New Line isn't obligated to exercise its option - the game is apparently selling very well and has received almost universally positive reviews from critics, which may up the chances. I'm quite excited to see how this develops, as Heavy Rain could be a really good movie, which would be a nice break from videogame movies that are mediocre at best.

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3178150]

Premonition

Jan 25, 2010
The real question is, will there be a movie tie-in game? As In street fighter the game the movie the game xD

addeB

Oct 2, 2009
hmm could be a good movie, got to keep my eyes open for more info about this.

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
Damn! People are just making video game movies left and right! It looks like Hollywood finally ran out of ideas.

Alphavillain

Jan 19, 2008
"Wouldn't it be great if someone made Heavy Rain into a movie?" No. It would rather defeat the object of making a film-like videogame -or "interactive drama videogame" or whatever they call it- wouldn't it?

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
Why make it into a movie when it basically already is a goddamn movie?.

Sure you dont need to interact with it to such an extent, but i enjoyed the interactivness.

EDIT:CURSED NINJA ABOVE ME; what he says.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Wait, isn't the point of the game the choices you make? And doesn't turning it into an entirely linear film ruin that whole premise?

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
An uninteractive Drama based on an Interactive Drama? Cos that would work.

Calumon: No-one in this game smiles, and why did they have to be naked? *whimpers*

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
New Line has no creativity or what ? copy/pasting good scripts from games doesn't necesarily works in movies... it's a dangerous bet they're making.

Disembodied_Dave

The Could-Have-Been-King
Feb 5, 2009
Making an actual movie would be a bad idea. They would have to condense the story too much and settle on a "canon." I don't like that idea.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
No. NO!!!
What the hell are they doing? Are you so desperate for ideas?
I've heard of a Mass Effect movie, I've heard of a Call Of Duty movie but this is stupider.
Why the fuck would you turn Heavy Rain, an interactive movie, into a linear one. The whole premise is not the story but the fucking choices. You CAN'T make choices in a film.
Aaargh!

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I agree with everyone else who's saying that turning a non-linear, interactive drama game (and it is a game, I don't care what anyone says) into a linear, noninteractive drama movie defeats the whole purpose of Heavy Rain.

Still waiting for GameFly to send me the game......DAMNIT, I hate long waits.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Eruanno said:
Hey, I'd watch this movie.
Yeah - it'd be cheaper than a PS3 and a game, and as I understand it you'd be watching at least half the script anyway XD

spikespiegel

Apr 23, 2008
SUPA FRANKY said:
Damn! People are just making video game movies left and right! It looks like Hollywood finally ran out of ideas.
They have hardly had any original ideas for ages.. (With some diamonds in between ^^)

The_Deleted

Aug 28, 2008
Seems to defeat the whole point of Heavy Rain, doesn't it?
Sure, you could argue that an audience who may otherwise be interested are missing out... but the story is hardly original in movie terms and you can guarantee that two of the characters will be cut.
It's like making a game adaptation of Marley and Me and including two sides of the fucking dogs family.