Heavy Rain Film Rights Optioned Years Ago

Darkwolf9

Aug 19, 2008
SUPA FRANKY said:
Damn! People are just making video game movies left and right! It looks like Hollywood finally ran out of ideas.
I wouldn't say they ran out of ideas. It's more along the lines that they want easy money. When you make a movie based on an existing IP your going to get people who already enjoyed the IP or have at least heard of it to come and see the film. Mix that in with the normal movie goers and you've made some money. Not to mention the amount they save having only to adapt an already existing script and idea. It can be win-win for everyone involved providing the movie is any good. Because not only does the movie make money, the people who made the game will make money off of royalties and the game will probably sale more copies.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Well, I don't need to see this movie since I already know who the killer is.

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
Isn't that convenient. You want to make a movie out of a game that already is a movie for the most part. That'll make for easy scriptwriting. Seeing as, you know, the script is already there...

At least that'll be cheaper than a PS3 and the game itself. You know what, why don't we just skip the making of the whole movie and just put someone playing Heavy Rain on the big screen so that people can watch?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Orcus_35 said:
New Line has no creativity or what ? copy/pasting good scripts from games doesn't necesarily works in movies... it's a dangerous bet they're making.
It's safer than most though. I mean, when they make movies of games with NO scripts to speak of (ie. Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter...), then look what happens.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Uhm, remove the image of the buttons you're supposed to press and there you got the movie 90% done.

HolidayBrick

Nov 18, 2009
Pandalisk said:
Why make it into a movie when it basically already is a goddamn movie?
My thoughts exactly. From what I've played of it at a friend's, it never needed to be a game. I would've much preferred it as a fully CG movie.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
This may be slightly off-topic, but how do you actually play Heavy Rain? I've heard loads of people say that it's like a film, but not one has mentioned the gameplay except to say that it is like an interactive film.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Khitten said:
Soo, just remove the fucking annoying QTEs and put the game out as usual then?
I honestly would love to see Heavy Rain reviewed as a movie just like the director wants. Just so it can get absolutely slaughtered.
*glee*
I am completely with this viewpoint. Take the QTEs out and Heavy Rain basically becomes Final Fantasy The Spirits Within, full of uncanny valley issues and terrible voice acting.

If Heavy Rain were held up to contemporary film standards, it'd get murdered. David Cage needs his pretentious ass deflated, so I'm all for this.

zamble

We are GOLDEN!
Sep 28, 2009
That's strange, holding those rights for so long. I wonder if companies just don't do that all the time, buying cheap copyright from games that COULD BE major hits way before they're lauched, you know, "just in case..."

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
addeB said:
hmm could be a good movie, got to keep my eyes open for more info about this.
Aye. Ill reserve jusgement till I hear more...

The_Deleted

Aug 28, 2008
zamble said:
That's strange, holding those rights for so long. I wonder if companies just don't do that all the time, buying cheap copyright from games that COULD BE major hits way before they're lauched, you know, "just in case..."
That's pretty much the jist of it. Any kind of IP can be optioned by a movie studio for use further down the line if the IP proves itself to be a success and the studio feel confident about it. A studio will generally only have the option for a set time before it can be put forward again for other studios to bid on. That's why some films can get rushed out so the studio doesn't lose the rights to an IP. There was a very poor Fantastic Four film made in the 80's because of this rule.
And, a few years back, there was talk of adapting Avril Lavines Skater Boi song into a movie. Given the current shite they knock out for the female tweenie market, I'm surprised this one didn't happen.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
This is a movie that could definitely be great and New Line has a reputation of making great films but I'm hesitant to say I want to see a Heavy Rain movie nonetheless. But I too am surprised to hear that NL had these rights back in aught six. 4 years? What the hell took the game so long to make?

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Orcus_35 said:
New Line has no creativity or what ? copy/pasting good scripts from games doesn't necesarily works in movies... it's a dangerous bet they're making.
It's safer than most though. I mean, when they make movies of games with NO scripts to speak of (ie. Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter...), then look what happens.
yeah, funny sha¡t it is ! XD

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Khitten said:
Soo, just remove the fucking annoying QTEs and put the game out as usual then?
I honestly would love to see Heavy Rain reviewed as a movie just like the director wants. Just so it can get absolutely slaughtered.
*glee*
SimuLord said:
I am completely with this viewpoint. Take the QTEs out and Heavy Rain basically becomes Final Fantasy The Spirits Within, full of uncanny valley issues and terrible voice acting.
And yet I'm sure neither of you have even touched the game with your pinky, and yet you put it down regardless because you completely disagree with the idea.

Just because you may dislike the game does not mean you should wish failure on someone just because of that. You may think Cage is a pretentious douchebag, but that kind of goes hand-in-hand with a developer/director of a game that's doing something different from the norm.

I may think you're being an enormous dick right now, but damnit if I won't defend your right to say it.

If Heavy Rain were held up to contemporary film standards, it'd get murdered. David Cage needs his pretentious ass deflated, so I'm all for this.
You know what? That's exactly why it works as a game.

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
have audience press a button avery so foten, and its just like the gaem