Ohgren Available In Dragon Age: Awakening

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Ohgren Available In Dragon Age: Awakening

For the Origins [http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Age-Origins-Awakening-Pc/dp/B003336KG4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279055198&sr=1-1] and that character is ... Ohgren.

Hey, I like drunken dwarf berserkers as much as the next guy, but, really, BioWare? That's who you're bringing back? Sure, there were a few extra laughs when you played Dragon Age using Ohgren, and his mandatory quest line through the Deep Roads was entertaining at least. But I don't think anyone would call the tough little guy a "player favorite." If you were paying attention to the video introducing the character Sigrun, you could see Ohgren's burly body kicking Darkspawn ass but I don't think anyone anticipated that he'd be returning as a party member. Does that mean we won't see a return of Morrigan or Alistair to the party? We're stuck with a dwarf who hates the outside and is drunk more often than not?

It appears that Ohgren has gotten his act together a little bit for Awakening, due out on March 16th. This is pulled from the BioWare website:

Oghren of Orzammar is known throughout Ferelden for fighting alongside the Grey Warden who halted the fifth Blight. Some say Oghren was the hero's constant companion; others suggest he merely rode on the Warden's coattails. But the stories all agree on two important points: that Oghren is a beast on the battlefield, and that he can easily imbibe liquids that would fell lesser men. After the archdemon was defeated, Oghren settled down with his old flame Felsi and had a child. Those who know him say that he was truly happy, at least for a time. But Oghren is a warrior born and bred, and, as he is fond of saying, you can take a warrior out of the fight, but you can never take the fight out of the warrior.

Am I the only one who doesn't like this move? Do you know anyone who used Ohgren through to the end of the game? There were just so many better options out there like Sten or Shale. Perhaps that's why BioWare chose him, now that I think about it. An interesting character that was underused in the first game. Ok, if that's why, then maybe I'm on board.

But I don't have to use him.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
man, I hated Alistar and Oghren was defiantly one of my favs, so I'm glad he's back but why wont they all return?

AboveUp

May 21, 2008

Oghren?

You know, if I wouldn't read the news on here I would've ended up playing the game going "Wait, who is this dwarf? Am I supposed to know him?"

Compared to Oghren, Sten radiated personality.

Lucifron

Dec 21, 2009
Oghren was a horribly boring character whose only upside was his personal quest. Lucky I didn't have to speak to him again after that...

Rathy

Aug 21, 2008
This intrigues me a bit. I never used Oghren, but I feel has a bit of potential. Origins just didn't seem to have a great place for him as I see it.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
I found him pretty useless. Alistair made a better tank.

And drunken dwarfs aren't as funny if you have them with you all the time.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
AboveUp said:

Oghren?

You know, if I wouldn't read the news on here I would've ended up playing the game going "Wait, who is this dwarf? Am I supposed to know him?"

Compared to Oghren, Sten radiated personality.
Oh No, give Ohgren some credit Sten is FAR worse than anything in that game...

Although saying that as soon as I got Ohgren I never once used him...

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Mortagog said:
Oghren was a horribly boring character whose only upside was his personal quest. Lucky I didn't have to speak to him again after that...
Same...

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
Ugh... I hope they bring back Morrigan someday... I think she's one of the best characters in a game anyways.

Galad

Nov 4, 2009
Well, they have to keep Morrigan and Alistair for Dragon Age 2 after all..

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
Archemetis said:
Oh No, give Ohgren some credit Sten is FAR worse than anything in that game...

Although saying that as soon as I got Ohgren I never once used him...
Sten wasn't so bad after he opens up to you. Plus his sword searching quest wasn't too bad.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Alistair could be dead by the end of DAO. It would be hard to write a story involving him that didn't use ME2 shortcuts (and they would be shortcuts)

Morrigan is clearly more of a villain type by the end of DAO. Either she's run off because you refused her Dark Rite, or she's run off to have a Demon Baby. Either way, she's more of a villain then a character you could bring back as a player character.

But yeah, Oghren? *sigh* I preferred Zevhran's humor

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Well, I found him okay. especially when he's having a go at his dog for stealing his pants (trousers, goddamit! You're a dwarf!) even when you didn't have the dog in your party.

Altorin said:
Alistair could be dead by the end of DAO. It would be hard to write a story involving him that didn't use ME2 shortcuts (and they would be shortcuts)

Morrigan is clearly more of a villain type by the end of DAO. Either she's run off because you refused her Dark Rite, or she's run off to have a Demon Baby. Either way, she's more of a villain then a character you could bring back as a player character.

Well, Zevran can also be dead, so I don't really think they'd give him a major role.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
I just loath dwarves. they are so boring... and short... and beardy.

I won't play a dwarf and I won't have a dwarf on my party out of principle.

Does that make me racist?

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
hazabaza1 said:
Well, I found him okay. especially when he's having a go at his dog for stealing his pants (trousers, goddamit! You're a dwarf!) even when you didn't have the dog in your party.

Altorin said:

Well, Zevran can also be dead, so I don't really think they'd give him a major role.
fair enough :p

Hey, who CAN'T you kill in DAO? I know you can kill Wynne and Leliana... can you kill Oghren? Is that why he was picked? Because even if you side with the golems, he doesn't attack you, he just laments his wife's choices that led to her death

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
Ill miss Leiliana... she made me happy.

As a side note, Zevran ended up turning on me later on in the story. Is this a random type thing or was it because I never really used him and built his approval up? Just curious.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
bjj hero said:

Yes. You're a terrible person.

On topic, Oghren wasn't the greatest character, but he was better then some.
I liked him better then Sten, over all. And he was way better then Wynn. Sorry to the Wynn fans, but I don't want a Grandmother when I play my games. Morrigan was useful in combat, but dang she was annoying. Everything I did made her mad, unless it was completely irrational. And since I didn't play a raving lunatic, she was pretty much pissed at me all the time (Until I started giving her shiny things).

Oh well! I'll take him over Sten or Wynn.

TheAmazingTGIF

Friday Only Superhero
Aug 5, 2009
I feel like he was certainly the weakest of the characters. Hell, Rabbit had more personality.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Baby Tea said:
bjj hero said:

Yes. You're a terrible person.

On topic, Oghren wasn't the greatest character, but he was better then some.
I liked him better then Sten, over all. And he was way better then Wynn. Sorry to the Wynn fans, but I don't want a Grandmother when I play my games. Morrigan was useful in combat, but dang she was annoying. Everything I did made her mad, unless it was completely irrational. And since I didn't play a raving lunatic, she was pretty much pissed at me all the time (Until I started giving her shiny things).

Oh well! I'll take him over Sten or Wynn.
Wynne was great for the interplay she had with the other characters

like how Shale would always call her Elder mage which she hated, and Alistair would ask her to sew up the holes in his clothes. It was great.

ravensshade

resident shadow
Mar 18, 2009
TheAmazingTGIF said:
I feel like he was certainly the weakest of the characters. Hell, Rabbit had more personality.
your dog right?
i would've thought shale or one of the others to be picked but.. ohgren? bleh... oh well...