U.S. Army Tests Flying Sniper Rifle

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
U.S. Army Tests Flying Sniper Rifle

What do you get when you combine a helicopter and a sniper rifle? The U.S. Army's latest killer robot, and a terrible way to start this news post.

The weapons platform, dubbed Autonomous Rotorcraft Sniper System, combines an unmanned Vigilante helicopter with a self-stabilizing, rapid-fire, .338 caliber sniper rifle.

But what do you do with a flying death machine? Wired explains [http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2009/04/army-tests-new]:

The system is intended for the urban battlefield - an eye in the sky that can stare down concrete canyons, and blink out targets with extreme precision. Attempting to return fire against the ARSS is liable to be a near-suicidal act: ARSS is described as being able to fire seven to 10 aimed shots per minute, and it's unlikely to miss.

Though the Army isn't quite ready to delegate command entirely to Skynet, the ARSS system does much of the work for its pilot. Though the human operator does control the vehicle and target selection using a "videogame-like controller," the ARSS' onboard computer adjusts for range, weather conditions and the parabolic flight of its ordinance, offering a killing platform that "should ensure first-round kills at several hundred yards."

Additionally, the military is touting the benefits the system will have for civilians in battlefield areas. Where dropping bombs tends to destroy people's homes, if not kill them outright, the ARSS is able to simply maneuver through a complex urban jungle, locate a target and make a single kill without collateral damage.

At least until its processor logically realizes humanity is the cause of all war, and swarms of these things start hunting us down like cattle.

When that day comes, just remember: If we hadn't wiped out the transgenic supersoldiers [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91273-Scientists-Breed-Glowing-Puppies], they just might have been able to protect us against this new threat.

Science: Killing us all since 2072.

CRAVE CASE 55

Jan 2, 2009
Wow this looks amazing can you imagine the killing power if this had a .50 Cal on it. and not to mention how many snipers this might save.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Well, the only thing that strikes me here is the feeling that this might not be a good idea. Then again, there are various advantages to removing problems without sending in real people...

I'm just not sure about it either way.

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
Whats not to love about a machine that could kill you before you see it?

Also, its controlled like a game, Im thinking the whole of the escapist could find themselves jobs in the armed forces and just fly these sniperbots around all day.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
That's incredibly awesome, though depending on the range, it seems easy enough to take down with an RPG.

Still though, imagine the psychological effect those things would have on the enemy.

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
The best part is, after watching all the Terminator movies for the first time this weekend, I actually got that Skynet reference.

Hooray for me!

As for this, I can't imagine how stealthy this thing could possibly be.

Spacelord

May 7, 2008
galletea said:
Well, the only thing that strikes me here is the feeling that this might not be a good idea. Then again, there are various advantages to removing problems without sending in real people...

I'm just not sure about it either way.
I've had the same sentiment the first time I saw an autonomous robot with a weapon on Discovery Channel. Back then it was a self-guiding buggy with some sort of copper plate on top which it could shoot at enemy (?) tanks without any human intervention. Which is, of course, rather creepy - at least when you've seen the Terminator and Matrix movies.

I'm kind of torn between how awesome it is to have an autonomous killing machine (back when I was young, they said bipedal locomotion for robots was nigh impossible... and how old do I feel now? ugh) and how scary it is (since, yes, I've seen both the Terminator and the Matrix movies). Though the prevailing sentiment is: THIS IS SOOOO COOL! I'M LIVING IN THE FUTURE!

After all: What could possibly go wrong? ;)

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
The Combine is here ;-) War is bad m'kay, manned or unmanned.

Has no-one else noticed the thing is called "arse"?

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
RebelRising said:
As for this, I can't imagine how stealthy this thing could possibly be.
I don't think stealth is much of an issue. I will be hundreds of meters away and anyone who does hear it is likely to be dead before they can do anything about it. I think this is a good way to save civilian lives, but I fear what it could mean if one of the various terrorist organizations get a hold of one.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
Do want.

Or atleast, I could join the Army and pilot the damn thing. I'm sure my years of intense video game playing will apply perfectly to this thing.

I don't see the thing being very durable though. Sure it may shoot fast, but in a crowded city with potentially dozens-hundreds of insurgents shooting at you, you're fooling yourself if you think the pilot can kill them off fast enough. That thing doesn't look like it can take too many 7.62 rounds, and if someone hits it with an RPG...

Moloch-De

Apr 10, 2008
It might not be very stealthy or durable but i bet it can compensate this with manuverabilety.
With "seven to 10 aimed shots per minute" this chopper could
1. "dodge" behind a building
2. rise
3. kill for a few shots
4. dive into savety
5. pop up somewhere else

It is a chopper with a sniper rifle, why not aply sniper tactics?

And if there are to many insurgents for one to kill, send a dozen choppers, that makes 84-120 kills per minute. I wonder who would dare to make a stand.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
Moloch-De said:
It might not be very stealthy or durable but i bet it can compensate this with manuverabilety.
With "seven to 10 aimed shots per minute" this chopper could
1. "dodge" behind a building
2. rise
3. kill for a few shots
4. dive into savety
5. pop up somewhere else

It is a chopper with a sniper rifle, why not aply sniper tactics?

And if there are to many insurgents for one to kill, send a dozen choppers, that makes 84-120 kills per minute. I wonder who would dare to make a stand.
Those are Apache Gunship tactics. This is basically a remote-control sniper that behaves like an Apache...