Canceled Halo MMOG "Was Going to Compete Against WoW"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Canceled Halo MMOG "Was Going to Compete Against WoW"

Former Ensemble Studios programmer and unrepentant optimist Dusty Monk says the Halo MMOG it was developing "was absolutely going to compete against WoW," if only it hadn't been canceled.

Monk joined revealed [http://www.ensemblestudios.com/] to be the Halo-based MMOG that was canceled in mid-2007, before its existence became public knowledge.

And, he said, it was going to be big. "It was going to be the Halo MMO, and it was absolutely going to compete against WoW [World of Warcraft] [http://www.worldofwarcraft.com]," he claimed in a recent interview.

"You have to remember that Ensemble came from a standpoint of being really good at competing against Warcraft [http://www.blizzard.com] and Age of Empires RTS franchises had met with considerable success. "We had a pretty good history of knowing the types of stuff that Blizzard put into their games to make them really successful, and the kinds of things we'd need to put into an MMO to compete against Blizzard."

Some of the ideas Ensemble was working on for the Halo MMOG are turning up now in Warhammer Online [http://www.swtor.com/]. Unfortunately, despite being ahead of the curve, Monk said Ensemble and the game were caught in a "changing of the guard" at Microsoft. "They were looking really hard at the Nintendo Wii and they were really excited by the numbers that the Wii was turning," he explained. "This was about the time that Microsoft decided that its Xbox platform and XBLA really needed to go more in the direction of appealing to a more casual, broader audience."

But if not for that fateful intervention, Monk is certain that today's MMOG landscape would look a lot different than it does. "Even though a lot of people talk about how you just can't build a WoW killer, I absolutely believe that we could have built an MMO, if Microsoft had maintained their commitment, that if it hadn't been a WoW killer, it certainly would've competed," he said. Too bad we'll never know.

Source: IncGamers [http://www.incgamers.com/News/21928/cancelled-halo-mmo-details]

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
okay, I'm just gonna put it out there
I love Halo

but this...no no no thank goodness it's a no

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
Alright, i'll be honest:

I'm a big Halo fanboy, but i know bullshit when i hear it, and i'm pretty doubtful THIS would have been a WoW killer.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
While Yes people play Halo for the online, I don't think the intelligent PC gamers would have liked it... you know, because it's console frat boys who mainly play Halo online (Bewilderingly).

Calumon: I can't play with bad guns... I shouldn't play with this

Baron Khaine

Jun 24, 2009
*rolls eyes*

Its easy to say it would have beat WoW it when it never came out. Every MMO has been called a WoW Killer recently, and they all failed. This one would have been no different.

Angry Caterpillar

Feb 26, 2010
I love Halo. As such, if this actually came out, I would RAAAAAAAEEEEEEEEGGGGGG like nothing you've ever seen before.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Halo's not the sort of thing you can make an MMO from...the universe doesn't have nearly enough variety. I mean, you can include some new aliens, I guess, but if you go too far and start making up monsters and things, it's just going to be a science-fantasy MMO with 'Halo' on the front cover.

Cmwissy

Aug 26, 2009
Baron Khaine said:
*rolls eyes*

Its easy to say it would have beat WoW it when it never came out. Every MMO has been called a WoW Killer recently, and they all failed. This one would have been no different.
I'm actually quite happy that Blaine Christine (Producer at Bioware Austin) said in an interview that he 'Doesn't want TOR to be called a WoW-Killer, that he enjoys warcraft and wouldn't want something that he created to be labeled as such'

axle 19

Bearer of the Necronomicon
Aug 2, 2008
The idea of a WoW killer is laughable at best. It is too firmly entrenched with its gaming community to be toppled at this point. Besides that, I can't see Halo working as an MMO, it just lacks the character and world in which it would work.

Baron Khaine

Jun 24, 2009
Cmwissy said:
Baron Khaine said:
*rolls eyes*

I'm actually quite happy that Blaine Christine (Producer at Bioware Austin) said in an interview that he 'Doesn't want TOR to be called a WoW-Killer, that he enjoys warcraft and wouldn't want something that he created to be labeled as such'
Yep, I remember reading that. But it's still being labelled as one as far as I can tell, which doesn't help on the hype-o-meter. The problem with most recent MMO's is that there hyped all to hell then disappoint and everyone quits through disappointment before they hit end game. I really hope this doesn't happen with TOR.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Oh yeah, he doesn't sound spiteful at all. He makes it sound like the company had been specifically competing with Blizzard from the very beginning. And then he blames the Wii for whatever reason.

Baron Khaine

Jun 24, 2009
axle 19 said:
The idea of a WoW killer is laughable at best. It is too firmly entrenched with its gaming community to be toppled at this point. Besides that, I can't see Halo working as an MMO, it just lacks the character and world in which it would work.
Well, an MMOFPS with the USMC (no spartans), versus the Covenant, could have worked, provided that you could have played both. Perhaps throw in the Flood as a 3rd faction if they could get it to work. But as an MMORPG, it could never have worked.

Go out bring me 10 Grunt Heads? That'd get a tad boring me think's.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Thyunda said:
Halo's not the sort of thing you can make an MMO from...the universe doesn't have nearly enough variety. I mean, you can include some new aliens, I guess, but if you go too far and start making up monsters and things, it's just going to be a science-fantasy MMO with 'Halo' on the front cover.
Have you read the books? Seen the documentaries of the Halo beta?Now I'm not trying to say here, "If you knew everything about the Halo universe, you'd know this was obvious!!1!," but I admit that I have, and I think if handled carefully, it could have been possible.
Looking at that screenshot of generic marine, though, I somehow doubt it.

Still, I kinda wish it had existed for the sole purpose of seeing the environments; I really love the visual style of the Halo series.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Erana said:
Thyunda said:
Have you read the books? Seen the documentaries of the Halo beta?Now I'm not trying to say here, "If you knew everything about the Halo universe, you'd know this was obvious!!1!," but I admit that I have, and I think if handled carefully, it could have been possible.

Still, I kinda wish it had existed for the sole purpose of seeing the environments; I really love the visual style of the Halo series.
Did they have roaming heroes going on great adventures into completely random caves on completely random planets for glory or anything like that? I mean, that's the whole premise for an MMO, and the Halo universe really isn't something you can do that in...books or not.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Erana said:
Thyunda said:

I was about to say that. darn you ninja!

Nagisa Sun

Apr 1, 2010
Wow has about 70% of the MMO marketplace right now, and I only suspect that's going to grow when Cataclysm comes out. Halo is popular in a lot of formats, but I doubt they would have been able to jump into the MMO scene with WoW having such a huge head start and hardcore player base already.

sylekage

Dec 24, 2008
Huge Halo fan, but the chances of that competing with WoW? I don't think it would have been able to. I would have tried it anyway.