Preorder StarCraft II, Get Beta Access

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Preorder StarCraft II, Get Beta Access

Do you want beta access to one of the most highly-anticipated games of the year? Preorder StarCraft II from Gamestop, and get a beta key for Blizzard's upcoming RTS.

It's no secret that the prevailing opinion here at Escapist HQ is that StarCraft II, even in its beta form, is completely freakin' awesome [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/tag/sc2+beta]. It's also one of the most eagerly-awaited games of all time, what with being a sequel to the legendary 1998 RTS that put Blizzard on the map.

If you want access to the beta test like us cool people, then you have a few options: Find a fansite giving out codes, cross your fingers for Blizzard to pick you as part of the beta opt-in, or ... preorder the game from Gamestop [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?Product_ID=65548].

Yes, that's right: If you're looking forward to SC2 enough to put money down on it ahead of time, you get to start playing the game months before it's even out. If you want a beta key, you have three options: Preorder the game online and get the code mailed to you, Preorder for in-store delivery, wait 24 hours and then go pick up the code at the physical store, or preorder in the store itself and have your code printed out on your receipt.

There are two catches, though: The beta keys are only available "while supplies last," and considering the game's popularity, supplies likely won't last very long - and once you've preordered the game for your beta key, your preorder can't be canceled.

But even if you can't cancel it, you're only out $5 if you just don't pick the game up when it comes out. But that would be silly, because StarCraft II is great.

If you do get a key, feel free to friend add CFTFunk.jaynez - I need more fresh meat to stomp!

(Thanks, Alai!)

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Well, I definitely planned on preordering, but I don't need another beta-key. Looks like I'll be giving one away.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
Is these keys really that hard to get ? I opted in late in the game and in less than a week got a key... was under the impression it was more like a open beta.

Got to admit the game in this stage is very well polished already, and any SC 1 fan would be mad to not like it... though it wouldnt appeal to none SC 1 fans as its basically the same, meant in a good way.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
I am totally going back to get my code for my friend, ryuke you should do the same.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
and if u get one and sell it on eBay for more than $5 you'll recoup your money XD

This just seems like a way to get your friends a key cause everyone who pre-orders this would at this point have a beta-key, as i just got mine a week ago \o/ from a stranger on IRC no less!

Bless the world for still having caring strangers \o/

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
What if you already have a preorder? (I've had mine for over 2 years) can you just go in and ask for a beta key?

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Skizle said:
What if you already have a preorder? (I've had mine for over 2 years) can you just go in and ask for a beta key?
Im pretty sure u can buddy. But u best hurry! ^-^

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
John Funk said:
The beta keys are only available "while supplies last,"
I read this as "we hoarded some keys when they were being handed out everywhere and we don't have a promotional deal with blizzard at all.".

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
There goes the neighborhood.

:p

I might as well ask something constructive then:

With a lot of members of The Escapist snagging these keys, does anyone want to set up either a practice league or Escapist SC2 beta tourney? I know there are at least 6 people here in the beta and hopefully these keys will make a lot more.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
apparently the CE has been sold out in future-shop and best buy in Ontario for about 4 months... even before they announced it O_O

EDIT: This is apparently only their online stock.

Please note that The Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty Collector's Edition is in limited supply and that pre-order is not guaranteed.

damnit.

Eudaemonian

Executor
Jan 22, 2008
How obnoxious. I pre-ordered the CE from Best Buy already. Then again, I think I actually have five bucks sitting on something I never got at the accursed GameStop near me... maybe I'll go transfer that over to Starcraft this evening and get in on this.

jerrrry

I Miss Doraleous.
Oct 26, 2009
I may have just gone and immediately pre-ordered a copy form gamestop online when I saw this story pop up...I thought about actually leaving work to go to the nearest gamestop and do it in person, but that seemed unnecessary as I couldn't use the key in-hand yet.

geddydisciple

Cerebrate
Aug 25, 2008
jerrrry said:
I may have just gone and immediately pre-ordered a copy form gamestop online when I saw this story pop up...I thought about actually leaving work to go to the nearest gamestop and do it in person, but that seemed unnecessary as I couldn't use the key in-hand yet.
I'm a little ashamed of this but i saw this story pop up on the escapist and immediatly left work to go grab one. Don't know how i'm gonna make it through the rest of the work day though. :(

(slams head on desk)