US Calls Out Piracy-Enabling Countries

Austin MacKenzie

Jan 26, 2010
US Calls Out Piracy-Enabling Countries

Canada and China have made it on the United States Trade Representative's blacklist for their lack of protective measures against piracy.

According to the <a href=http://www.ustr.gov/webfm_send/1906>"Special 301" report, Canada and China are among 11 countries on the Trade Representative's priority watch list for either failing to properly protect American IPs or actively block companies that employ copyright protection means. The other priority watch targets are Russia, Algeria, Argentina, Chile, India, Indonesia, Pakistan, Thailand, and Venezuela, and the report says the government will be pursuing "particularly intense engagement through bilateral discussion during the coming year" in order to combat the problem.

The Trade Representative estimates 18 million American workers are affected by the piracy issues, and the stated purpose of the report is to "call out" other countries and apply pressure on them to have them enact anti-piracy legislation. China received a special note for not only failing to prevent piracy, but placing market barriers on non-Chinese products that encourage piracy and black market sales.

Canada, which was added to the list in 2009 despite <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/84461-New-Canadian-Anti-Piracy-Bill-Stirs-Controversy>measures in 2008 to curtail piracy, has remained on the list due to lacking key reforms to really crack down on piracy. While the report noted Canada has been receptive to working with the US, it notes the necessary legislation has not yet been enacted, indicating that Canada could potentially end its placement on the list by pushing key legislation through.

Will this report cause change? At this point, it's hard to say. A number of countries have complied with the US's requests for greater protection over the years, but for piracy giants like China, the measures may prove less than effective.

Source: <a via <a href=http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/28349/US_Trade_Rep_Creates_Piracy_Watch_List.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GamasutraNews+%28Gamasutra+News%2929>Gamasutra

Apr 28, 2008
Well perhaps if the companies didn't charge insane prices in places like those where money is actually hard to come by, then maybe people would buy the stuff some more.

Not every illegal download translates into a lost sale. People really need to start realizing this.

And isn't Canada one of the better countries in the world in terms of piracy prevention? I've heard that many times, but not sure if its true...

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
Lol for a second i thought this was talking about actual pirates and saw India and was like WTF? Don't they have like half their navy hunting pirates? Then I realized I am an idiot.

Doc Cannon

I hate custom titles.
Feb 3, 2010
Screw it. They have absolutely no right to mess with the way other countries run things.

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
and that is why Canada is better than the US

also we don't get up in people's face on how to run a country

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
Doc Cannon said:
Screw it. They have absolutely no right to mess with the way other countries run things.
because you know how well thy have been running theirs BAZING!!

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Irridium said:
And isn't Canada one of the better countries in the world in terms of piracy prevention? I've heard that many times, but not sure if its true...
Oh we are.
I mean, we're way too polite for piracy.
In fact: We're SO polite, that even though our dollar is worth pretty much the same as a US dollar, we allow ourselves to pay up to 50% more on some goods, even if they are made in our own country, just because we can.

What's that? Pay $10,000 more for a car that was made two hours away in a Canadian factory? Why sure! I'd love to!

How about the US fix that piracy first, and then we can talk about push through some piracy legislation.

Byers

Nov 21, 2008
Well.
The US is already on most other countries' watch list for unlawful behavior in general.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
And I call out the USA,Britain and Australia to be fascist states trying to steal the rights and freedoms of the worlds populaces by ensuring no one questions the absolute rights of copyright owners......

Wrds

Dyslexic Wonder
Sep 4, 2008
Once again the U.S. proves to be a bully.

I laughed pretty hard at this. Like anything will ever stop piracy.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Austin MacKenzie said:
The Trade Representative estimates 18 million American workers are affected by the piracy issues
I call immediate bullcrap.

They have no way of proving that. As so many people before me have stated, one pirated game does not equal a lost sale, and so they can't have created a statistic for how many workers are affected.

VirusHunter

Nov 19, 2009
Okay, an estimate 18 million americans are being affected by piracy. What I would like to know is HOW they are being affected!

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
Well, I know look higher on Canada, China, Russia, Algeria, Argentina, Chile, India, Indonesia, Pakistan, Thailand, and Venezuela.

Piracy isn't great, but the United States' zeal for corporate protectionism and a complete disregard for consumers is angering.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Eukaryote said:
Oh yeah? Well piracy-enabling countries call out the US for enabling totalitarian anti-piracy measures.
Damn you, I was going to post that, now all I can post is a "I was gonna post that" post.

Wait a second...