US Calls Out Piracy-Enabling Countries

Ciler

Nov 16, 2009
From Michael Geist's blog: http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/4997/125/

* According to the software industry's own piracy numbers, Canada rate is declining and is dramatically lower than any other country on the priority watch list. Moreover, even the Business Software Alliance has characterized Canada as a "low piracy country."

* According the recording industry's own numbers, the Canadian recording industry did not decline last year as badly as the U.S. or Japan and it ranked well ahead of the global average for digital music sales growth.

* According to the motion picture industry, illegal camcording has declined rapidly in Canada in recent years. Canada is one of the only countries in the world with criminal convictions for such activities.

* Last year Canada amended its Proceeds of Crime regulations by removing the Copyright Act from the list. The change had been requested by copyright lobby groups.

* Canada is often characterized as a prominent home for BitTorrent sites, yet there are more sites hosted in European countries such as the Netherlands but it is not included on the list.

* Canada is the only participant in the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement to be named to the Priority Watch List. Apparently, our involvement in those talks counts for little.

* Comparative analysis of U.S. and Canadian copyright law identifies numerous areas where Canada's copyright laws are stronger than those found in the U.S.

* The RCMP has prioritized intellectual property enforcement and conducted thousands of investigations in recent years.

* Canadian enforcement measures include a host of other provisions that are not found in many countries that do not make the USTR list, such as statutory damages and anti-camcording rules.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
Fuck the US and the rich people that run that country.

Seriously, who the fuck are they to tell Canada what to do. We all know Canada is sooo much better run than the US.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Bretty said:

Seriously, who the fuck are they to tell Canada what to do. We all know Canada is sooo much better run than the US.
Yes because Canada's government didn't shut itself down or anything recently because nobody could agree on anything. Wait.

Seriously even though I'm American I think this is a bullshit list for us to have.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
This is just another step in Americas plan to unite Alaska with the other 48 states by slowly taking over Canada *dons tinfoil hat*

Kanima423

Feb 3, 2010
Wow ... *sighs* Lots of horrid things going on in the US right now but we are more worried about piracy ...

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
AceDiamond said:
Bretty said:

Yes because Canada's government didn't shut itself down or anything recently because nobody could agree on anything. Wait.

Seriously even though I'm American I think this is a bullshit list for us to have.
At least my country doesn't ignore half of itself... by which I mean the south. How is New Orleans? Last time I checked your Gov't spent more money in Haiti than Louisiana. SO yeah your serve.

Steelfists

Aug 6, 2008
Hopeless Bastard said:
I love it. The US government as a mouthpiece for corpulent corporations built around obsolete business models.
If they are obsolete how can they still function?

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
I'm almost proud of being a canadian. (Not that Canada is a bad place, I'd take it over just about any country given the situation. But being proud of living in a country is just pathetic, land is land every where.)

McShizzle

Jun 18, 2008
To the writers of "Report 301", you can go to hell. Canada's laws are written in Ottawa not in Washington D.C. go bother someone else or better yet have a look in the mirror. I will take the piracy prevention measures of this country over that of the pack of corporate shills that run the U.S.A. (mind you, our Republican party isn't a whole lot better. Give me back the old Tories).

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I'm confused maybe half the people posting are just reading "US TELLING CANADA AND CHINA TO DO STUFF" but did you maybe miss the part where the US is trying to stop piracy in other countries because it's hurting sales there?

Don't tell me that "It's rich people" or whatever, my mom when her business was running strong (she's retired due to a problem) her product was copied by china and we found it being sold IN THE U.S. How do we know? We bought one because we were thinking about suing them/we were shocked that there was a pirate of it.

Yeah the US has retarded leaders who like wars but I'm actually in agreement this time because I don't like when artist lose out on what they earned. Being that my mom made hand made products for a long time for a living, it's kind of fucked up to see it being mass produced in china and sold to who knows how many.

aegios187

Jun 17, 2007
Asehujiko said:
Dear americans: Different places, different laws. Get the fuck over it.
You assume our government represents the will of the people.

Here's a hint

In most things like this, it doesn't.

I don't see anyone, outside corporations and their pocket politicians, stomping around bitching that Canada enables piracy because dollars are being lost by said company therefore said politician's campaign chest comes up light.

I am sure there's ancedotal evidence that small business's are getting screwed, but we know that political traction typically occurs when the bigger wheels start squeaking for oil.

KwaggaDan

Feb 13, 2010
The US should really call out piracy enabling companies. I know it sounds lame, but things like DRM are driving consumers to piracy.

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
Go Canada et. al., countries can do what they want, the USA needs to be put back in its place.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I can see it working with some countries, but, with China. I hardly think they care at the moment when it comes to piracy...and, to be honest. The US cant really, practically force them to takre action either

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Hubilub said:
Austin MacKenzie said:
The Trade Representative estimates 18 million American workers are affected by the piracy issues
I call immediate bullcrap.

They have no way of proving that. As so many people before me have stated, one pirated game does not equal a lost sale, and so they can't have created a statistic for how many workers are affected.
I don't think that number represents just games. Everything is pirated now days. Music, movies, games, books. Considering the amount of people that work on these things, from the person pointing the camera at the movie stars, to the person cleaning off the microphone after some rock star spits on it during a recording session, there are millions of people affected.

They're probably not as badly hurt as the companies would like us to think, though.

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
Eukaryote said:
2012 Wont Happen said:
Well, I know look higher on Canada, China, Russia, Algeria, Argentina, Chile, India, Indonesia, Pakistan, Thailand, and Venezuela.

Piracy isn't great, but the United States' zeal for corporate protectionism and a complete disregard for consumers is angering.
Don't forget they are damaging their reputation and standing in the minds of non-USA citizens. If the USA is not more careful with its foreign policy it is going to end up with not a friend in the world.
And ignorant Americans like my roommate will still argue that "The world needs America more than America needs the world." To that i say, its a global economy dipshit, even if one country with moderate economic purchasing power falls, the rest of the world will feel it. America isn't all mighty like it used to be right after WWII. It needs all the friends it can get, which isn't alot. Its like the bully that no one wants to play with so he rages even more.