Adobe's Argument With Apple Escalates

Austin MacKenzie

Jan 26, 2010
Adobe's Argument With Apple Escalates

The confrontation between Apple and Adobe is heating up with the release of a new advertisement blitz decrying Apple's decision to cut Adobe Flash support from its mobile line.

Adobe's attack on Apple's internet policies comes as the most recent maneuver in an escalating battle between the two companies. Initially sparked by Apple's refusal to include Flash support in its products, the companies have been continuously coming to blows ever since. Apple maintains Adobe's Flash program is shoddily constructed and causes Apple products to crash, while Adobe has accused Apple of being extremely restrictive in its policies on content, an accusation they have reiterated with their new ad campaign.

In an <a href=http://www.adobe.com/choice/openmarkets.html>open letter, Adobe founders John Warnock and Chuck Geschke proclaimed their dedication to open systems, accusing Apple of instead favoring the closed system approach, controlling the content its consumers could access.

The growing spat between the companies has proved divisive within the industry, while some are lauding Adobe for taking Apple to task for its policies, others see this as a desperate, passive-aggressive attempt to turn the public opinion against Apple.

Source: Digital Trends

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
Why would apple screw the people that helped bring them success. If it were not for photo shop (and people's false assumptions about it's performance on windows) as well as other adobe products like illustrator and premier elements, apple would never have got a place in industry, and the public markets. Apple is essentially ****ing over their best friends.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Neither side wants to give out and this is all going to end badly for the consumer...

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Hashime said:
Why would apple screw the people that helped bring them success. If it were not for photo shop (and people's false assumptions about it's performance on windows) as well as other adobe products like illustrator and premier elements, apple would never have got a place in industry, and the public markets. Apple is essentially ****ing over their best friends.
Because Apple wants to control what goes onto the ipod, and they want to make money off it. If flash goes onto the ipod then people can make flash games FREE. So who's going to pay 2 dollars for a game when there's a flash version that's just as good or better. Fewer video sales because people just watch flash videos instead.

They're controlling psychopaths and always have been.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Apple is in the wrong here, just IMHO...
Not that Flash is perfect, but 98% of people browsing the web DO have it installed!

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Kenjitsuka said:
Not that Flash is perfect, but 98% of people browsing the web DO have it installed!
You mean people have a choice on whether or not to install Flash on their browsers? I thought most browsers came with Flash support already built in.

OT: I side with Adobe on this one, especially considering Apple is trying to push for HTML5 support (I think). I have no idea what HTML5 is supposed to do, though, other than be the PS3 of the Internet.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Why doesn't Apple want Flash? Most people use flash so why exclude it? It seems like they just don't want people having too much of a good time on the iPhone.

Calumon: It's like not having chocolate in a cup cake. You can sure manage without it, but it's much better with it most of the time.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Heart of Darkness said:
Kenjitsuka said:
You mean people have a choice on whether or not to install Flash on their browsers? I thought most browsers came with Flash support already built in.

OT: I side with Adobe on this one, especially considering Apple is trying to push for HTML5 support (I think). I have no idea what HTML5 is supposed to do, though, other than be the PS3 of the Internet.
Flash is not included in Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari etc. etc. You always have to download it from Adobe's website. Chrome actually includes it as the only one, and that was in the last release.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
I Like it, It is sort of a kiss and a slap. Also, I enjoy Adobe's slightly subtle nuance as to linking its name to freedom of choice. Whoever came up with this deserves a bonus.

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
Snotnarok said:
Hashime said:
Because Apple wants to control what goes onto the ipod, and they want to make money off it. If flash goes onto the ipod then people can make flash games FREE. So who's going to pay 2 dollars for a game when there's a flash version that's just as good or better. Fewer video sales because people just watch flash videos instead.

They're controlling psychopaths and always have been.
Agreed, Adobe should release the next photo-shop with a feature or two missing from the mac version to encourage windows use! Or even better release it on Linux!

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Kenjitsuka said:
Heart of Darkness said:
Kenjitsuka said:

Flash is not included in Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari etc. etc. You always have to download it from Adobe's website. Chrome actually includes it as the only one, and that was in the last release.
Are you sure about that? I don't remember needing to download Flash when I got my laptop. Then again, that was almost a year ago, and I don't always trust my memory with small, unimportant things.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
I think Apples grudge against flash is because:

a)The proposed iPhone/Pod/Pad version of flash was horribly inefficient,and Apple tends to favor efficiency over raw power.

b)Any iPhone/Pod/Pad version of flash would probably be based on the computer version.One hacked version of flash and goodbye iP/P/P

of course I'm probably going to get called a "Apple Zealot" for pointing this out...

Flamingpenguin

Nov 10, 2009
Ugh... Great. I love Adobe [Pretty good with Flash] and I like my mac. I just want them to work together. Apple needs to chill the fuck out. And I thought things were getting better, too. Just got steam and I'm downloading Portal now...

But I stand with Adobe in the end. They are my bestest, geekiest buddies.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
This is interesting.

On the one hand, Apple no that with Flash and Adobe products you are basically out of control. Anyone with semi decent skills can make content and as a hardware manufacturer there is nothing you can do about it. Apple won't like that, it's a fair enough stance to take and it means you the manufacturer get the msot direct return on your investment.

On the other hand, Adobe products are pretty much standard equipment across creative industry. If they aren't going to allow it it's quite easy to see this as a cynical ploy to more tightly control devkits and licensing money, whether that's fair or not. The efficiency argument doesn't really wash, Adobe are pretty good about supporting their software.