Game Industry Facing a "Collision" With Aging Gamers

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Game Industry Facing a "Collision" With Aging Gamers

A new report suggests the videogame industry is at risk of losing $3 billion in potential revenue if it fails to accommodate the infirmities and decrepitude of an increasingly-aging American gamer demographic.

A new paper called "Gaming on a Collision Course: Averting significant revenue loss by making games accessible to older Americans" speculates that as the average age of videogamers continues to advance, the industry faces a "significant loss of both sales and customers" unless it takes steps to ensure that games remain accessible to everyone.

"Many gamers started playing Atari in the '70s and '80s and are now 50 years and older. They may still want to be gamers, but, as they age, they may not be able to because of disability or health conditions. They're essentially being shut out," said AbleGamers Foundation [http://www.ablegamers.org/] co-founder Stephanie Walker. "The time for making games accessible is now."

Currently, almost 50 million Americans suffer from some sort of disability and with videogame systems in 65 percent of U.S. households, that translates into as many as 32.5 million potential customers lost because of a lack of accessibility options in most mainstream games. As the likelihood of disability increases dramatically with age, the report claims that a "collision" between gaming and accessibility is coming within the next five years and that the displacement of aging gamers could cost the industry as much as $3 billion.

"This paper clearly demonstrates that the face of the typical gamer is changing and game manufacturers need to adapt or risk alienating what is eventually going to become a significant customer base," said Game Accessibility Day [http://www.7128.com/], which is being hosted by the AbleGamers Foundation on May 25 in Boston.

A rumor that Activision CEO Bobby Kotick has responded to the growing demand for age-related accessibility in videogames by initiating work on a new multi-colored game controller that turns black on a gamer's 21st birthday remained unconfirmed as of press time.

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
Huh...and here I thought that all this motion control malarkey was aimed at older gamers...must tell my mam she is too decrepit at 52 to play the Wii and she has to wait until something new comes out to bridge the gap...

Also...easy mode anyone?

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
If I read this right, they want game "manufacturers" to roll back all techonological advances on control schemes to where we were in 1975 and are claiming that the industry is "loosing" 3 billions because they haven't already? And also it's specifically about US inhabitants and specifically NOT about the other 5,800,000,000 people on this planet?

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
How would a game for people with a hysical disability work, they would have no way to interact with the gme.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
50 is not decrepit, hell people are expected to work until 65, and what could possibly be easier than keeping your arms still and pressing buttons?

I don't have any idea what this is saying, are they saying there needs to be more games that depend on big motion tracking gestures with little dependence on buttons to counteract age related arthritis? Or are they saying saying there should be games that are less active to play for people with are related osteoporosis and just have simple interfaces that require the minimum movement?

This report is pretty bloody vague.

And other media didn't ever have to adapt for "ageing audience", Movies didn't suddenly have to be at a larger volume and with larger subtitle sizes and important details to counteract vision/hearing degradation.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
What?

Unless you get arthritis in your hands (bummer) then there's not much that's going to stop you from pushing buttons on a controller/keyboard and mouse.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
I hope the industry takes this seriously. Last night I was playing Sonic 2 and it hit me - most HD games I need to wear my glasses to play competitively (or at least cofortably). Sonic 2 however, with its pixelated and CRT-tuned graphics, I could play just fine with no glasses. It's been a problem for ages that some people can't read the text in HD games on regular definition screens (Dead Rising and Mass Effect I'm looking squarely at you two!), I think the option to enable text featuring larger fonts and shorter paragraphs (in order to fit it all on screen) is something game designers should seriously consider for the sake of older gamers and vision handicapped players - of which I am sure tons, I can't be the only person who developed crippling astigmatism using their PC.

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
Treblaine said:
And other media didn't ever have to adapt for "ageing audience", Movies didn't suddenly have to be at a larger volume and with larger subtitle sizes and important details to counteract vision/hearing degradation.
You don't have to jump up and down for an hour to keep the movie playing.

That was a stellar failure of an example. They didn't have to change because they are not interactive media, all you do is sit and listen or sit and watch. Even there, there was change to accommodate disability: Closed captioning system ring a bell?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, it was domethong they would need to addtress eventually. However I don't think they are going to lose revenue as there are new gamers everyday taking place of older ones.

Really if anything it offers a new Market!

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
What disabilties (beyond ones that would make ANY game unplayable no matter how "accesible" to old people) would stop someone playing games?

Zerbye

Aug 1, 2008
Yeah, arthritis is going to be a big problem. I'm in my mid-thirties, and already I can feel that starting to cramp my gaming.

Woodsey said:
What?

Unless you get arthritis in your hands (bummer) then there's not much that's going to stop you from pushing buttons on a controller/keyboard and mouse.

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
I can understand what this report is saying. I mean if you look at movies, books, sculptures, comics, TV, etc, you can be 70+ years old with back problems and still enjoy these activities. But you can't do that right now with the way games are going. You got over complicated controls (FPS, Sport games) or over complicated menus (RPG's).

Maybe an easy fix is to have a simple control of 4 usable buttons but new actions can be assigned to the other unused buttons.

SachielOne

Former Escapecraft Op
Aug 10, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
A rumor that Activision CEO Bobby Kotick has responded to the growing demand for age-related accessibility in videogames by initiating work on a new multi-colored game controller that turns black on a gamer's 21st birthday remained unconfirmed as of press time.
If I hear any references to a carousel or renewal, I'm running for it.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
Here i thought people in their 50's are still fairly healthy, at least healthy enough to be able to work, let alone able to handle a controller or a mouse. I thought this was going to be about taste, that older people would not like games made for teens and young adults and would want something with more depth.

tcurt

Jan 28, 2010
I found myself just wanting to know what games Eleanor the 70 year old gamer plays.

But I think folks thinking about this have a point. While I can't help but be aware this is probably marketing goobly-gook also, age-related trouble with games are going to face a market that wants to keep expanding beyond healthy young people. Vision and hearing troubles are probably on the forefront. Like this above comment about fonts and HDTV, hearing issues need to be considered too. And before you say "just turn up," remember that it's not just loudness. As folks get older being about to distinguish sounds from the background noise can become very difficult. Seperate audio settings for soundtrack, sound effects, voices and more would all be appreciated. Heck, I'd like that, and I'm only in my 40's. (Too much car stereo in my youth.) I think this will become really relevent once this current generation of ear-buds-are-way-too-loud get old like me.

I don't even want to go into how lame I felt when I got too serious trying to win against the kids on Wii Sports and woke up the next day with a shoulder too stiff to move. Jeez. You whipper-snappers have no idea the joys that await you.