Peter Jackson Might Direct The Hobbit After All

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Peter Jackson Might Direct The Hobbit After All

With Guillermo Del Toro out of the picture, Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson says it's possible that he might end up at the helm of The Hobbit after all.

Del Toro announced over the weekend that he was stepping back from hanging up a new James Bond movie [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0903624/] - nothing can actually move forward.

"Guillermo is co-writing The Hobbit screenplays with Philippa Boyens, Fran Walsh and myself, and happily our writing partnership will continue for several more months, until the scripts are fine tuned and polished," Jackson told Kane & Lynch [http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2010/05/30/36920-guillermo-del-toro-departs-the-hobbit/], The Hobbit isn't the sort of project you can just toss to the first person that walks by.

The obvious choice to replace Del Toro is Jackson himself, the award-winning director of the CNN [http://www.lordoftherings.net/]. "But make no mistake, Peter and Fran's commitment to the franchise is total and will do everything necessary to protect the films and the investment made by New Line, Warner Bros. and MGM."

Jackson himself had somewhat different thoughts on the matter, however. Speaking to The Dominion Post [http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/national/3760135/Sir-Peter-Jackson-says-he-may-step-in/], he said, "If that's what I have to do to protect Warner Bros' investment, then obviously that's one angle which I'll explore." But he added that it would be "difficult," because he does have contracts for two other films, including one expected to begin next year. "The other studios may not let me out of the contracts," he said.

Other commitments notwithstanding, Jackson is probably the front-runner for the job in the hearts and minds of fans. But if he can't, who should?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I don't have problem with that at all; to be honest I was disappointed he wasn't directing to begin with.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
It's quite sad that Del Toro isn't directing any more, he's awesome. he made the best Blade film, Hellboy and Pan's Labyrinth; I'd love to have seen what he'd make of The Hobbit.

Icecoldcynic

Oct 5, 2009
I don't really care who directs it so long as it's an entertaining film. That said, I'm sure Jackson will do a fine job, a great job in fact.

gilthanan

May 25, 2008
I'm happy Del Toro is out, I was seriously concerned he'd attempt to place his Picasso style visuals into a place where they didn't belong. Not to mention Hellboy 2 was disappointing. I'm surprised Jackson wasn't picked first to begin with, I really hope he takes it, because the Lord of the Rings are some of the best movies ever made.

Anticitizen_Two

Jan 18, 2010
Jackson already sodomized the Lord of the Rings. We should protect the Hobbit from him, if nothing else.

necromanzer52

Mar 19, 2009
Anticitizen_Two said:
Jackson already sodomized the Lord of the Rings. We should protect the Hobbit from him, if nothing else.
Agreed.

I was really looking forward to del toro directing this.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Having enjoyed the LotR movies far more than I ever enjoyed the books, I'm looking forward to this.

Chase Yojimbo

The Samurai Sage
Sep 1, 2009
I was waiting on news of 'The Hobbit' to be remade, damn i hope its a good job like the Ring Trilogy.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Now I am even more exited!

The man only made one of the best trilogies ever, I'm sure he can make something decent out of this.

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
I'm torn about this news - Del Toro's visuals are amazing, but he seems to have trouble connecting those visuals to a cohesive narrative (Hellboy 2 is the prime example of this; Pan's Labyrinth had the same problem but it's obscured by that flick's surrealist/magic realist atmosphere). He would have had the benefit of Tolkien's narrative and Jackson et. al.'s input, but I was really afraid that spectacle would trump story. Jackson himself seemed better able to balance those forces in his work on LoTR - although more so in FOTR than TTT or ROTK.

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
gilthanan said:
I'm happy Del Toro is out, I was seriously concerned he'd attempt to place his Picasso style visuals into a place where they didn't belong. Not to mention Hellboy 2 was disappointing. I'm surprised Jackson wasn't picked first to begin with, I really hope he takes it, because the Lord of the Rings are some of the best movies ever made.
WROOOONGGGGG
Del Toro was the only reason I was even a little interested in this. Have you read The Hobbit lately? It does not hold up.
And I'm pretty sure PJ said he'd only direct this if nobody else was interested and he had to do it to save the movie. I'd say there's little to no chance that he ends up directing this.

And what Del Toro did in HB2, considering the original material, was more impressive than turning water into wine.

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
Woop! That's good news, he's already made an awesome trilogy out of LoTR, lets just hope he can perform the same magic on The Hobbit.

Bailos

The Apostate
Sep 26, 2009
Michael Bay or Quentin Tarentino. If Jackson can't do it and make it great, you might as well make it ridiculous and over the top in some way.

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
Oh and by the way, the story should mention why Del Toro quit.
They're running out of money. Adding Peter Jackson to a movie that's running out of money doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
Since the LotR trilogy are three of my favorite movies, I really hope that Jackson, or whoever ends up doing it, does a good job on The Hobbit.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Well this sucks. Guillermo Del Toro is one of the few directors who still use practical effects, instead of CGI-ing everything. I want puppets, darn it :(

As for who should direct it, what about whoever it was that did the H2G2 movie? Whoever it is, he/she recognizes that puppets and actual sets look better in many situations than CG ever can. The universe in it was so alive that the director basically out Star Wars'd George Lucas.

LunarTick

Mar 1, 2010
Well, this is kinda sad. But if Jackson is going to do it, I will have faith in it.

But what interests me more is: does this mean Del Toro will get to do 'At the mountains of madness' sooner?