Edge Games Sues EA Over Mirror's Edge

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Edge Games Sues EA Over Mirror's Edge

Tim Langdell's Edge Games is at it again with a new lawsuit against Electronic Arts, claiming that EA has "willfully infringed" on its trademarks with the Mirror's Edge [http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dvideogames&field-keywords=%22mirror%27s+edge%22&x=7&y=21] game franchise.

After a brief period of quiet, EA [http://www.edgegames.com] through the 2008 videogame Mirror's Edge. The lawsuit claims that Edge Games sent a cease and desist letter to EA prior to the launch of the game but instead of responding, EA attempted to register the Mirror's Edge name with the USPTO, an application that was denied in 2008 because of the potential confusion with trademarks held by Edge Games.

"Despite Edge Games' repeated efforts to contact representatives from EA, the lawsuit says EA did not respond until October 2008," according to a press release from the Lanier Law Firm, which is representing Edge Games in the matter. "Less than a month into negotiations, EA launched the Mirror's Edge line without Edge Games' approval." Edge Games is seeking an injunction against EA as well as "treble damages, which could triple any verdict if jurors find that EA willfully infringed Edge Games' trademark."

In September 2009, EA responded to ongoing threats of legal action against the game by filing a petition with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to pending [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95108-EA-Gets-Tough-With-Edge-Games].

Despite less-than-stellar sales, EA said last year that work on a Mirror's Edge sequel had begun [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92366-Mirrors-Edge-2-in-the-Works], but no release target has been set.

Source: Digital Journal [http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/56553]

jelock

Nov 29, 2009
Evil the White said:
*Facepalm*

Seriously, when is he going to learn that a word like 'edge' is not copyrightable.

OH SHI-
Uh oh, you just said the E word. You're probably next.

But seriosuly these trademarks should be revoked or the terms of it to be made more specific.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
Can I ask what the hell Edge Games have actually made? Ever? All I've heard from them is repeated lawsuits over common nouns?

JaymesFogarty

Aug 19, 2009
Damn. The next one will have to be called, "Mirror's Shard." Actually, come to think of it, that doesn't sound too bad!
Seriously though, edge is a ridiculous word to patent. No way one company can exclusively own it.

cabalistics

May 4, 2009
When the hell is there going to be news about Mirrors Edge 2 also the words in the article aren't showing up unless you highlight them did someone forget that black words don't show up on a black background

Mar 18, 2010
Wow, EDGE Games are really on EDGE, their lawsuits being quite "EDGY" in their definition of the law. EDGY in the stupid sense. I wonder what lEDGE this guy's parents threw him off of head first.

Uh... EDGE. *Skitters off*

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
For goodness sake, could someone in the judicial system allow me entry to this adjudicator process?, so I can infect these people with my feelings, hopefully then there would be a horrible outbreak of common sense in these copyright laws.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Can I copyright the word "lawsuit" and sue Edge every time they come out with one of these? Because I want in on that cash.

They must have a bit to keep coming out with these.

cabalistics said:
When the hell is there going to be news about Mirrors Edge 2 also the words in the article aren't showing up unless you highlight them did someone forget that black words don't show up on a black background
Disable adblocker. For some reason it thinks the background is an advert.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Come on now people, we all knew this was coming.

[sub]Also we should totally change the name of the site to The Edgescapist for a day.[/sub]

Furburt said:
Tim Langdell cannot get an erection unless he sues someone.
Perhaps he thinks it gives him an edge in the industry.

Evil the White

Apr 16, 2009
cabalistics said:
Black background? You need to check your computer mate.

Sebenko said:
Can I copyright the word "lawsuit" and sue Edge every time they come out with one of these? Because I want in on that cash.

I'm personally going for the letter 'E'. The most used Western character.

Tzekelkan

Dec 27, 2009
Sebenko said:

That's brilliant! Quick, copyright "Lawsuit & Synonyms Inc." and watch Tim Langdell's brain explode.

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
Wow...he finally tried for the big one. Let's see how well this goes for Ol' Langie...(my money's on very, very, poorly)

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Honestly, the patent/trademark system needs to get its shit in line. You should not be allowed to trademark entire words, unless you've made them yourself (Microsoft, Sony, etc.)

Mirror's Edge, Edgy, and whatever other games Tim has invoked in his lawsuits only remind people of his studio when the news comes out that he is suing the makers of said games. This should set off some warning bells.

You should also not be allowed to patent genes, something which is fundamentally a load of crap (did you know that a company that put a patent on a certain gene sequence linked to breast cancer is the only one allowed to test for/experiment with that sequence? Madness I tell you.)

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
SnowDensOfYesteryear said:
Wow, EDGE Games are really on EDGE, their lawsuits being quite "EDGY" in their definition of the law. EDGY in the stupid sense. I wonder what lEDGE this guy's parents threw him off of head first.

Uh... EDGE. *Skitters off*
Congratulations on your edgy edgy-ness, good sir. Truly, you must enjoy living on the edge, constantly living in fear of the sharp edge of the sword of Damocles hanging over your head (in the form of a lawsuit), and you hope you will never lose your edge when it comes to witty satire.
Have a cookie of edge...I mean win. Edgy win though...

Ok, I propose we make our own game: The Edge - The Edgy Game. Ideas (and programming skills) are welcome