Happy Tenth Birthday, Diablo II!

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Happy Tenth Birthday, Diablo II!

Ten years ago, Blizzard released its legendary Diablo II [http://www.amazon.com/Diablo-2-mac-PC/dp/B00002CF9M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278434263&sr=1-1]. Can we please have the sequel already?

On June 29th, 2000, a long-awaited sequel to a popular Blizzard PC game hit store shelves after several delays. While (other than the date) that description could apply to pretty much every single game the developer has released since StarCraft, in this case it was Diablo II.

Picking up shortly after the events of the first Diablo, the sequel expanded on the original in pretty much every way. With its randomized dungeons and loot, and intuitive, click-happy gameplay, Diablo II quickly became (and still remains) one of the most addictive games of all time. We here at Chez Escape know its power only too well [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-escapist-presents/628-Escapist-On-Gaming-Addiction].

Its graphics haven't aged quite so well, but it still remains a sterling example of awesome game design - and don't try to tell me that the cinematics don't still look good, because that is a blatant lie.

Ten years later, we're still waiting for our sequel, the hotly-anticipated Diablo III [http://www.amazon.com/Diablo-III-Pc/dp/B00178630A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1277844951&sr=8-1]. Judging by the twelve years between StarCraft and next month's StarCraft II, we should probably plan on seeing D3 sometime in 2012, thereby delaying the apocalypse as Satan himself gets caught up farming for unique items.

What are your favorite Diablo II memories? Your favorite class? I always tended towards the Barbarian and Paladin myself.

Oh, as an aside - between this and Deus Ex [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101587-Deux-Ex-Turns-10-Goes-For-2-50], June 2000 was one hell of a great month for PC gaming.

Check out more at the Diablo II anniversary site [http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/events/d2anniversary.xml?rhtml=y]!

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
10 years and I still have yet to get past Act 3...

Damn myself and decisive laziness, thinking an Auradin would do all the dirty work for me...

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I pretty much agree with the "ugh, no Diablo 3 yet?" response. :p

Ah well, I suppose it's understandable given how busy they are with "Cataclysm" and "Starcraft 2", but still I was always more of a Diablo fan than a Starcraft one.

Arcticflame

Nov 7, 2006
Aaaah Diablo 2, so many wasted hours.

I was first a barbarian dual wielding grandfather swords. Then I moved onto a tank druid once the x-pac came out.

I had to play on a non-battle net server, because the pings are so bad in australia, it's unplayable on battle net, basically meant my characters are worthless, due to all the hacked items I picked up without realising they were hacked.

My favourite diablo II memory was beating a hacker when I didn't have any hacked items. My druid was ridiculous in terms of having oak sage + bear form + ridiculous amounts of health/damage. So I actually got a few lucky hits and dropped the hacker when I had no right to win.

Diablo 3 is one of my most anticipated games, that said I don't want them to rush it out, so I'll gladly wait another 10 if it means when it comes out, it'll be fantastic.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
My favourite Diablo moments? Playing Necromancer and getting mys ass kicked so hard that I had to run away from DIablo while crying like a girl. Another one was finally after 9 years of playing the game beating it on Hell difficulty with a buddy and laughing my ass off at the shitty ending screen.

Really the only thing that gives away the game's age is the shitty ending screen...it looks so horrible. Hahaha.

Then came Lord of Destruction, one of the greatest expansions ever along with my favourite class, The Druid.

LeeHarveyO

Jan 13, 2009
Ahh Diablo 2..... good times, and my favorite moment would probably be in the mod Blazing Fire. My friend and I were going through Act 5 when we got a message on screen that said "Diablo now roams free." We freaked out and went to check on it. So in Act 4 there was a hell Diablo, and we were only on nightmare at the time. So we threw ourselves at him for about 40min till my friend dcided to go open the seals to let out the regular diablo. I thought it would be bad cause then there would be TWO FREAKING DIABLOS. But fortunately it made the hard one dissapear and we quickly owned the weaker one.

Also I liked to play as either a zon or necro.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I wonder if I'll ever see the cow level...

My favorite part? I can't decide...

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
This does seem to be the year of the late-90s return (2000 was pretty much the last year of that cultural decade).

Starcraft II
Diablo III
Toy Story 3

Now, where's that sequel when you need it?

spike0918

Apr 16, 2009
Well, considering I was 6 when Diablo 2 came out I never really played it. But I have watched a friend playing it and started playing some more recent loot drop games like Fate, Borderlands and Torchlight.

I also played a loot game on the PS2 called Champions: Return to Arms with a friend. It was hilarious since about 5 hours in a boss dropped a Flaming Buster Sword with crazy stats, and my poor friend went into blunt weapons. And then the power went out and we lost 2 hours of progress, I kept my Buster Sword though.

Most definitely hoping to have a good gaming computer for when Blizzard drops this game in 2013 XD.

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
Happy birthday Diablo 2. I sincerely hope your successor is as good, if not better than you are.

People may not like Blizzard, but when their games are still actively played 10 years after they came out, well, the vast majority must think they're good.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
SteelStallion said:
I'm going to throw this out there;

Diablo II > Deus Ex

Come and get me, boys.
For what? You're absolutely right :p

Nobody's saying Deus Ex wasn't good, but Diablo II, man.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
Necromancer ftw!!

I used to love my ungodly melee-necro with all the minions behind me

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
That old? wow...I didnt even realise! Well, thats one more year in the basket! Good work Diablo!

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
In all honesty, Blizzard sure takes it's time to create some games but don't tell me it isn't utilized properly? Look at Starcraft, look at Warcraft 3. All instant-hit classics and are still being played.

In all honesty, take your time but don't make us wait decades!
The same could be said about Valve, but I give Blizzard way more credit for not buying out the rights of mods to make a quick buck. Also Wheres Starcraft Ghost? I still have my preorder dammit!

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
SteelStallion said:

Diablo II > Deus Ex

Come and get me, boys.
Diablo 2 sits atop my top ten list so you'll get no complaints from me

It's the only game i've never stopped playing

Best music in the game

Barbarian and Sorcerous were my favourites

Not made for Diablo 2 originally but one of the best pieces of videogame music ever

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
John Funk said:
SteelStallion said:

Diablo II > Deus Ex

Come and get me, boys.
For what? You're absolutely right :p

Nobody's saying Deus Ex wasn't good, but Diablo II, man.
Oh. Yeaah. I mean, come on. Diablo II.
[HEADING=1] Diablo. II.[/HEADING]

It's like THE game. Heck, I played it yesterday on the B.Net and I still like it a lot.

Oh. Favorite character? I like them all except for Druid. I enjoy playing Assassins, especially Trapsins, Fireball or Lightning Sorc and auradins or zealots. In classic, I loved WW Barbs and zealots were even better.