Happy Tenth Birthday, Diablo II!

DragonChi

Nov 1, 2008
I don't even know what to say, Diablo 2 is like..a god among games. I lived to play it,and I've never stopped. There is no other game I am more passionate for. It is Blizzard's Crowned jewel..or should I say Soulstone. Can't wait for D3, I'm sure it will be wild ride at the very least and will last just as long if not more through the ages as D2 has. Grats on Blizzard for this game/franchise, may it live forever.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Oh, so much time spent not doing work and playing multiplayer with the guys across the hall, yelling back and forth, "Keep them frozen! I need health! Rare items! Blaaargh!"

Though everything was better, I think the multiplayer was so far superior to diablo 1 that I would eschew all other games for that. And for the record, I would be pretty much anything but the barbarian. Dunno why, but I hated melee classes.

PPB

May 25, 2009
Racthoh said:
I don't know how many times I would start up and stop playing Diablo II over time. I loved playing a summon necromancer, but that only really became fun if you had an Enigma for teleporting (stupid skeletons getting stuck).

PPB said:
I tried playing it again last autumn, but couldn't get into it. I think it's the kind of game that simply didn't age very well. I'm not talking about the visuals (I still think they're really fine, except perhaps for the character sprites), but about the gameplay itself. It just seemed too simplistic by today's standards, especially when your target build lifts off.
Which difficulty setting did you get to? Things can get pretty intense on Hell at first.
When I last played it I only got up to nightmare act 2. But when I was playing it a lot, I obviously played through hell with multiple characters. I know it can get pretty hectic, with the flat 50% physical damage resistance and multiple immunities, but that doesn't change the fact that most classes end up being a 2 buttons spam with periodic potion drinking. You're doing this in environments that constantly repeat themselves with the same kind of monsters over and over again.

I guess I shouldn't complain because I did end up playing this game a lot. But I think past a certain point it just stops being entertaining. The same can be said about most games, but I can generally go back to old games after a few years and still enjoy them. It wasn't the case with Diablo 2 for some reason. In any event, I have many fond memories from it.

CitySquirrel

Jun 1, 2010
Favorite memory: on the phone with my friend while we were both playing, him screaming "naked kill! naked kill!" That game was the best part about being 15.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
John Funk said:
What are your favorite Diablo II memories? Your favorite class?
Favorite class is Barbarian.I once had the entire Immortal's King set on a Barbarian.Which is the best Barbarian set in the game.

Best memory would be that time I boosted someone from A1 to A5 by using only Whirlwind.That was one hell of an hour.

daemon37

Oct 14, 2009
I still play Diablo II often. I have beaten the game on Normal with all characters (including the expansion pack chars) and I have beaten it on Nightmare with a few. I am about to beat the game on Hell difficulty (for the first time ever for me!) with my Necromancer. My Necro is level 79, and he is my favorite class.

I find Diablo II to be a great game for noobs and hardcore alike, which is probably part of why this game was so popular in the first place. As a result, I sometimes play this game with my wife. My favorite memory is playing through the game with her multiple times.

Carboncrown

Oct 17, 2009
Yeah, D2 has always been the game for me.
Played since I can remember using a PC. And I was always one of the few Druid people. Or a throwing barbarian, 'twas fun.

D3 better come out on a holiday 'cos otherwise my schoolwork is going to suffer. Horribly.
Tiamat666 said:
I always played the Necromancer, which is probably one of the hardest classes to play.
corpse-mother-fucking-explosion

and iron maiden

and bone prison

Just sayin'

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
The Gentleman said:
This does seem to be the year of the late-90s return (2000 was pretty much the last year of that cultural decade).

Starcraft II
Diablo III
Toy Story 3

Now, where's that sequel when you need it?
80's nostalgia is just about to dry up (when they only can dig up the Smurfs, they have hit the button of the barrel and have started to dig(, and by the laws of culture, we are about to get nostalgic about the 90s.

You forgot about a new golden eye, a new every Nintendo game every made ever... the list goes on.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
I'm still playing this one, when my office comp is busy and I can't fire up the PS3 because the TV is already claimed. And I played the barbarian the most, and then the druid with Lord Of Destruction.

Happy Birthday, Diablo II !

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Therumancer said:
I pretty much agree with the "ugh, no Diablo 3 yet?" response. :p

Ah well, I suppose it's understandable given how busy they are with "Cataclysm" and "Starcraft 2", but still I was always more of a Diablo fan than a Starcraft one.
Damn straight they're busy with Starcraft 2! I always hear Diablo fans whining about how it's been "sooooooooo long" since they got a sequel (in fact there's probably dozens of other people I could have quoted instead from this very topic). Yeah... it's been longer for us Starcraft fans, you guys can wait your turn. =P

Anyway... I had good times with Diablo too (ba-dum-tss). I loved playing around with my Fire-based Druid, though it sucked in the later stages of the game when I had to piggy-back with one of the OP builds because EVERYTHING was Fire Resistant in the last two chapters of the game. I really hope things like that aren't an on-going issue with D3. Mind that I'm okay with that concept in general, after-all having resistances encourages team-play with someone who can cover the enemies you can't kill, but it was a shame how D2 kinda forced some builds to be weak by over-stacking the one resistance, especially at the late game (I mean, yeah I get that one of the two chapters you were in hell, basically, but still).

oppp7 said:
I wonder if I'll ever see the cow level...

My favorite part? I can't decide...
Oh holy Jesus... I remember playing that game in your avatar at my cousin's house WAAAAAAY back in the day. I don't even remember much about it except that you had to find a puppy for some parade that was coming-up. About as deep of a story as you can expect from a kid's game. xP

[.redacted]

Jan 24, 2010
Ah!

I have so much to say that I'll just list my old fav chars:

Blizz sorc/orb sorc/fireball + meteor sorc
FotH pala/smitedin/hammerdin
Tele + WW barb
Harmony altwep bowazon/javazon
Kickssin/half did a trapsin, but never finished her item build
Hurricane druid/ a really bad rabies druid
Bone spear + spirit Necro

Tell you what though, I wanted to try out the result of speccing into enchant weapon (the fire sorc skill) and then Beast runeword.

Hey, call me crazy but I think it'd have worked, especially if you got yourself an Infinity merc (those were really handy for the other sorcs, too)...

Ah, the good 'ol days. Now I just watch anime.

I thought it was supposed to work the other way around... Oh well.