Review: Risk: Factions

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Review: Risk: Factions

It?s just like Risk, except with Generalissimo Meow and a whole bunch of fun new rules.

Read Full Article

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
I totally bought this right away!
I have the most recent edition of the board game, but not everyone wants to play. But now I can play all I want! Totally faithful to the board game. But I actually only play using the real-world map, since it helps me practice for when I play the board game with people.

Still: Great buy.

Nickisimo

Apr 14, 2009
It's not a bad pick up, but it could have been a little more fleshed out. A lot of times the Factions games don't make much strategic sense...and then there's the dice. What would Risk games be without those frustrating dice?

It makes me want an Axis & Allies re-make on Steam or XBL so, so badly. That game can be plagued by the randomness of dice too but there's SO much more strategy to it.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
You know what? I've never even played a game of Risk before
NO DON'T HURT ME!
I've never really had the opportunity to play it, and I've never felt any particular urge to rush out and buy it to find out what I'm missing out on.
That said, this looks like it might be perfect for my first encounter with the phenomenon that is Risk. Also, I love me some turn-based strategy. I'll definitely check this one out.

GameGoddess101

Jun 11, 2009
This looks awesome... I do have a problem with it though...

How am I supposed to decide between an army of Cats or an army of Zombies!?!?! Oh game industry, you've done it again!!

Liberaliter

Sep 17, 2008
I got this straight after playing the trial, it's really addictive - I've played for ten hours already.

I did have a problem with freezing on startup, but this was easily remedied by signing out before I launched the game, then signing in when it gave me the option.

Online play is fun as well, even if you don't like the new features it also has a classic mode.

Optimus Hagrid

Feb 14, 2009
Is it possible to play on the traditional world map? Not too bothered (as the game looks awesome), but I'm still curious to know.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Optimus Hagrid said:
Is it possible to play on the traditional world map? Not too bothered (as the game looks awesome), but I'm still curious to know.
Yes, if you watch the video supplement you can see it in a few shots.

Optimus Hagrid

Feb 14, 2009
Slycne said:
Optimus Hagrid said:
Yes, if you watch the video supplement you can see it in a few shots.
Ah, I didn't notice. I'm sure my friend will look forward to stockpiling his troops on Japan again. [sub]The wanker.[/sub]

laryri

May 19, 2008
It looks like they preemptively approved your review by putting 4 stars in the logo.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Not G. Ivingname said:
Greg Tito said:
The only thing you had to complain about was the lack of story ending, why did you give it only 4 stars?
Good question. We were actually just talking about this in the office. As a game, it does everything right. The campaign is funny and creative, the gameplay is interesting and the presentation is all solid. I gave it four stars because it is an above average game that I would recommend to most gamers. Our criteria for a 5-star game is that they are games that you should definitely own if you own the platform on which it appears. The kind of game that you are just dumb if you don't own or at least consider picking up: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/7149-What-Our-Review-Scores-Mean

Risk: Factions is a small game that you can finish in an hour or two. There is replayability in the multiplayer and custom games against the AI, but I couldn't justify giving it 5 stars for that reason alone. It's cute, it's fun, but players will likely tire of it after a few hours. I could see playing a few matches a week, but much more than that will leave most players bored, unless they are huge strategy fans.

It's totally worth 10 bucks, but I don't think it's worth 5 stars.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
That story part of it looks very fun to watch. Not sure about the gameplay. Never played risk before but I heard the game has a real dependance on the dice to the point to where it kinda breaks strategy.