Review: Risk: Factions

Dragon_of_red

Dec 30, 2008
Wow, last time I heard of Risk was when my brother told me about the new version. Apparently, it was future risk, with water bases and moon bases too. Apparently it was such a large game, it needed to take up an entire billiard ball table!

As for the review, it was good. But is there sometihng wrong with my speakers? Or were you going for some sort of a war timey sort of deal?

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Chunko said:
Jaredin said:
What a way to make risk fun again! =D
When did it ever stop being fun?
For me, the second I discovered all the other board games - I realized how much less interesting Risk was compared to these others. And to go with that,
dragon_of_red said:
Wow, last time I heard of Risk was when my brother told me about the new version. Apparently, it was future risk, with water bases and moon bases too. Apparently it was such a large game, it needed to take up an entire billiard ball table!
That would be Risk 2210 AD [http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1829/risk-2210-a-d-]. It was a much better game than the original Risk because of limited turns and balancing, but I think that a certain area of the board was extremely unbalanced. Been a while since I've played it so I can't say for sure.

Interestingly enough, it was not published by the original company associated with Risk, but by Avalon Hill, who any board gamer knows is pretty well known as a producer of pretty popular wargames.

CincoDeMayo

Dec 17, 2008
This looks awesome, I had no idea there was a Risk game on XBLA! I'm a big fan of the board game, so this is just great.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
'You attacked us without provocation. Apologise at once!'
'Sorry Meow, we don't negotiate with quadrupeds.'

I bought Risk: Factions after watching this review and i love it. I'll admit i never played Risk before (something to do with me being in the UK?) but i'd heard of it and wanted to give it a shot. This is a great way to spend the afternoon, and the option to play either the new or classic version is great. I'd take the re-playability of this game over, say, the 2 hour Mass Effect 2 DLC any day. Sure, the DLC is probably epic stuff but when it's over it's over. I can come back to this whenever i fancy a quick match. You can tell by the sharp animations that a lot of love went in to making this. The funny part for me was that it took around 700MB or so to download, which is exactly the same size as the naughty bear game which requires a full disc for some reason. Says something about quality, perhaps?

Sep 17, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Review: Risk: Factions

It?s just like Risk, except with Generalissimo Meow and a whole bunch of fun new rules.

Read Full Article

Looks fun although I have never been a risk guy, nice Seinfeld reference by the way :D

solfreak

Sep 10, 2008
Am I the only one who thinks computer turn takes too much time?
I've bought the game and was enjoying it but as more and more factions got unlocked and
territories got bigger the time it took the computer player to do all it's actions became
unbearable.

I was able to read half a page of "50 Things You Need To Know About British History"
before the enemy finished his move...

I was really looking forward to this game but it's a critical flaw I can't get over with.

Chunko

Aug 2, 2009
coldfrog said:
Chunko said:
Jaredin said:
What a way to make risk fun again! =D
When did it ever stop being fun?
For me, the second I discovered all the other board games - I realized how much less interesting Risk was compared to these others. And to go with that,
dragon_of_red said:
That would be Risk 2210 AD [http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1829/risk-2210-a-d-]. It was a much better game than the original Risk because of limited turns and balancing, but I think that a certain area of the board was extremely unbalanced. Been a while since I've played it so I can't say for sure.

Interestingly enough, it was not published by the original company associated with Risk, but by Avalon Hill, who any board gamer knows is pretty well known as a producer of pretty popular wargames.
I used to run a table top gaming club at my school, we mostly played the complicated stuff, but we still went back to the basics and played Risk on occasion. It never stopped being fun, but it does get repetitive after a while.

Chunko

Aug 2, 2009
I'm on the last level of the game right now. It's epic! The game is way to short though, it's only 3-4 hours over 5 missions. 25-50 missions and a decent plot would have been more like it.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
solfreak said:
Am I the only one who thinks computer turn takes too much time?

I was really looking forward to this game but it's a critical flaw I can't get over with.
I didn't notice it honestly. Are you talking about when you're playing against four other AIs? I could see that taking a long time, but I was usually riveted watching which territories they would attack.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Chunko said:
I'm on the last level of the game right now. It's epic! The game is way to short though, it's only 3-4 hours over 5 missions. 25-50 missions and a decent plot would have been more like it.
That's half the reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5, but, for a 10 dollar XBLA game, I don't expect a 50 hour single-player experience.

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
I always loved Risk, we had our own extended rules, maps (fantasy or scifi inspired) with own factions and their advantages and disadvatages (f.e. one faction wins at draw throws, the other transforms armies killed with a six into own armies etc)

wish that game was for PC

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
It's fun, but the storyline is basically a throw-in. Seriously, almost all the animated scenes in the game were in the review it seemed. Plus, there was only one mission per character.

Other then that, it was fun. I'd never played risk before so it was something new to me. But I have always like turned-based stratagy. I do hate the dice thing though. Seriously, I can lose with an army of 7 against 1, but someone destroys me when I have 3 without losing a single army?!

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
GameGoddess101 said:
samsonguy920 said:
GameGoddess101 said:
This looks awesome... I do have a problem with it though...

How am I supposed to decide between an army of Cats or an army of Zombies!?!?! Oh game industry, you've done it again!!
Doesn't matter which you pick. The toasters will win. They always do.
See, I disagree. When the robots eventually rise and rebel, I believe ATMs will lead the charge...
Who says they already aren't? They are always watching you, choosing whether to give you money or not. They have the control.