Sony to Nintendo: Leave Our 3D Glasses Alone!

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Sony to Nintendo: Leave Our 3D Glasses Alone!

Sony wants to work with Nintendo to promote 3D gaming, but says Nintendo needs to quit "bashing" Sony's glasses-based technology first.

Nintendo's 3DS made a pretty big splash when it debuted at E3 2010 earlier this month, in case you missed it. Naturally, the biggest thing that the hardware giant was pushing was that the handheld allowed a 3D depth of field without the use of special glasses. Nintendo hammered the "glasses-free" point home over and over again at E3 - and in the weeks since - a point which is irking Sony, whose own 3D gaming technology does in fact require those 3D glasses.

Speaking with IGN [http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/110/1103136p1.html], SCE boss-man Shuhei Yoshida said that both companies should be presenting a united front in the promotion of 3D gaming, not sniping at each others' technology.

"I have hope that they have a broader perspective with 3D," Yoshida said. "When you listen to what they are saying about the effect of 3D perspective to the games, they are saying the same message we are, but they don't have to bash some small part of what the other company is doing."

Yoshida said that Nintendo and Sony together could show how 3D gaming could work on all levels from tiny handhelds to massive TVs for the sake of advancing the industry: "We'd like to work together to promote 3D."

Of course, the Sony executive was quick to promote the idea that the glasses weren't intrusive, and necessary for the real deal: "If you really want a big theater experience, of course you have to wear glasses," he said. "With the latest technology, the glasses are light and you kind of forget you're wearing them after awhile."

What was that about working together, again?

(IGN [http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/110/1103136p1.html])

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
"How dare you do something that we are doing, but doing it better!"

Yeah. Great argument. Assholes.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"they don't have to bash some small part of what the other company is doing." "

Right, because Sony and MS never ***** CONSTANTLY about each other and their products.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
lol Sony. How about improving your technology so nobody has to wear the damn glasses, eh?

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
Sorry Sony, but I really don't see how glasses beats no more glasses [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j034Fcn7fLY]. Why should Nintendo not advertise one of the biggest selling points of their handheld?

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101514-Sony-Boss-Talks-Down-Handheld-3D

Yeah...it's like they have selective memory loss or something.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Gamegodtre said:
since i wear actual glasses the 3D glasses don't fit me can i get 3D goggles?
I wear glasses, but I have to wear the 3D glasses on top of my regular glasses. It's so fucking uncomfortable.

Apr 28, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101514-Sony-Boss-Talks-Down-Handheld-3D

Yeah...it's like they have selective memory loss or something.
Pfft, please. Facts have no place in business!

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Does anyone else feel an undercurrent of desperation in statements like this from Sony? A solution that does what their technology provides without making you wear special bloody expensive glasses seems like the sort of thing they would be worried about given how much they're trying to push the whole "3D! With glasses! That you pay like $200 dollars for apiece!" angle.

Colonel Alzheimer's

Jan 3, 2010
Fuck Sony. Nintendo is pretty much the only thing standing between Sony getting a monopoly on 3D gaming, what with them having the TV's as well. Frankly, Nintendo's tech is better, and I hope it does better, because then Sony might consider not charging 5 grand for a 3D TV, not to mention the $150 (each!) for the glasses.
COMPETITION IS GOOD.

nik3daz

Jan 1, 2008
They should totally use polarization for the 3D and start selling prescription polarized contacts.

Tarakos

May 21, 2009
Once Nintendo can perfect this tech, then they'll bury Sony's goggle program. As it is, from what I hear, the 3DS only works if held at a certain point away from the face, so it's not perfect, but it is a step in the right direction. I just have to laugh at Sony though for throwing all their support into these ungodly expensive set-ups (4 grand for a 3D TV, anyone? $200 for a pair of 3D goggles?). At least Nintendo is trying to get consumers interested and NOT rob them blind (3DS at around $300 I think). Sony can shut it, thank you very much.

Diligent

Dec 20, 2009
Meanwhile, at the gaming company playground...
Nintendo: My dad is better than your dad!
Sony: Yeah, well, shut up, poopy face!

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
well the big reason that 3d wont take off is because of the glasses, the thing that would make it take off is to get rid of the glasses, the only thing that could kill the 3ds is ppl thinking it needs glasses