Sony to Nintendo: Leave Our 3D Glasses Alone!

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
SuperMse said:
Sorry Sony, but I really don't see how glasses beats no more glasses [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j034Fcn7fLY]. Why should Nintendo not advertise one of the biggest selling points of their handheld?
becuase possibly the one that nintendo has only works for 1 person while the glasses work for more then one person?

funny thing is that if Nintendo said any douche like statement no one who have any problem.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
This is going to be another BluRay/HD-DVD or VHS/Betamax thing again isn't it. I hate those. Both sides, however have ignored my Patented solution the stylish, yet functional, 3D Monocle.

As modelled here by our spokesman Sir Patrick Moore.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
God. That title immediately makes me want to watch Chris Crocker again.

You're a sneaky little manipulator mr. Funk! ;)

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
If you don't need the glasses to see 3D you've almost got golographic images. We're one step from "Help me Obi-Wan Caterpie, you're my only hope."

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
I'm going to have to side with Nintendo on this one. Those glasses are friggin' annoying especially if you wear glasses yourself.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
buy teh haloz said:
Gamegodtre said:
since i wear actual glasses the 3D glasses don't fit me can i get 3D goggles?
I wear glasses, but I have to wear the 3D glasses on top of my regular glasses. It's so fucking uncomfortable.
Damn straight. Sony's glasses are light and even attractive, but they still suck if you wear normal glasses, too. That's not their fault, that's just how it is. Glasses over glasses ain't comfy, no matter how nice each pair is.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
3D is a fad.

But the 3DS is not going to be. You don't need any special equipment, and there'll be plenty of 3DS games that likely won't use the 3D tech.

Anti-Robot Man

Apr 5, 2010
Well we've all seen how well Sony have worked with Nintendo in the past (see the early development of the Playstation).

Anyway 3D is a fad it won't last, it won't take off with the mainstream consumer base.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
deth2munkies said:
lol Sony. How about improving your technology so nobody has to wear the damn glasses, eh?
The problem is that the technology used in the 3DS only works for one person at a time, not multiple people watching one screen. So if you want everyone to watch a 3D movie with you or play a 3D game you're going to need the glasses for the time being. Eventually, sure, we won't need glasses for larger mediums but I have no idea how long that will take.

Anyway, it would be pretty cool if Sony and Nintendo worked together with 3D. Then again look what happened when they worked together last time. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_%28console%29] Both 3D technologies have their place, I personally don't mind wearing the glasses even though I wear glasses already, but I would be lying if I said that I'm not interested in glasses-free 3D tech. If both Nintendo and Sony worked together on that, hell, there may be some new 3D innovation with them, who knows (I doubt they would though).

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
3D is a fad.

But the 3DS is not going to be. You don't need any special equipment, and there'll be plenty of 3DS games that likely won't use the 3D tech.
I have to wonder why people think that 3D is a "fad" now, in fact I think it has more of a place in video games than in film. There's a lot of potential in 3D technology, especially if they are implemented in games, brushing them off as a "fad" isn't going to help technology evolve and won't get us anywhere closer to "Virtual Reality".

Mantonio

Apr 15, 2009
Looks like Sony is running scared. Again.

What are the betting odds for Sony Fanboys / the SDF saying that the glasses route is better and the 3DS is a pile of crap?

Enigma6667

Apr 3, 2010
Glasses-free 3D is the only good 3D. In that point I must add-- wait, what? Sony and Nintendo working together?? Could it be?

Yup. It could be.

Ravek

Aug 6, 2009
Anti-Robot Man said:
Anyway 3D is a fad it won't last, it won't take off with the mainstream consumer base.
3D is taking off in the mainstream cinema, because it provides for a lot more impressive and immersive experience.

Why do you think this isn't true for games? What makes you think it's a fad at all?

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
John Funk said:
"I have hope that they have a broader perspective with 3D," Yoshida said. "When you listen to what they are saying about the effect of 3D perspective to the games, they are saying the same message we are, but they don't have to bash some small part of what the other company is doing."
I would kindly direct Yoshida to any clip of Kevin Butler, making continuous snide snipes as their competitors' technology. I don't think I've seen a single appearance of that chap that hasn't taken a cheap shot at Nintendo, Microsoft or both. This really is hypocrisy at work, people!

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Not so long ago Sony did a TV advert mocking the Wii motion control, for boxing games in particular IIRC, compared to move. Saying that you look silly playing a Wii compared to playing move.

I believe that turn around is fair play.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Glasses are 90% of the reason I detest 3D, the other 10% is split up between the headache it gives me, it's general gimickness (sp?), and several other minor issues.

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
VanityGirl said:
But I'd rather not wear glasses to enjoy my 3D expierence... So, go Nintendo?
This. It's more like Sony saying "Shhh, stop pointing out our flaws, we're trying to sell $4,000 televisions here, dammit!"

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
I don't understand why people are pointing out that the 3DS only working for one person at a time like its a bad thing. I mean, the DS is a personal device.