American McGee Announces a New Alice: Madness Returns

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
American McGee Announces a New Alice: Madness Returns

The rumors are real: American McGee is working on Alice: Madness Returns, a sequel to his original twisted take on Wonderland.

These days, dark versions of Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland are commonplace - but back in 2000, American McGee's Alice was something special. It resonated in gamers, sold over a million copies, and remains a very beloved dark and twisted take on a classic childrens' tale.

It may be a year and a half after the initial rumors [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89593-American-McGee-Returns-To-Alice], but American McGee is indeed returning to Alice. Much of the original team - including the original writer - is returning for the title, which takes place 11 years after the original, following Alice's release from an insane asylum.

Alice: Madness Returns features the eponymous heroine using Wonderland as a psychological superpower of sorts to deal with darkness in her life, only this time the game will also take place in London as well as the fantastic world through the looking glass.

We saw a brief glimpse of the game in teaser form, with Alice sitting in a psychiatrist's office. "Tell me about your Wonderland," says the doctor's voice - and then Alice opens her mouth, which starts gushing blood and teeth. The screen goes black, and someone asks: "Alice, what have you done?"

If you liked Alice, this is definitely one keeping an eye on.

Update: Aaaaand here's the teaser in question. It's creepy. It's the teeth, really.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Eeeeeeee hehehehehehehehe!
I'm so excited for this game, which could be a bad thing given my psychotic state at times. Never-the-less it's nice to see Alice back in the dark, and twisted world I love so huggy-muggy much. >:)

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Wahhooo I just replayed Alice last week it was crazy how good the game looks despite being a decade old, too bad it really could have done with a map screen otherwise it would have been perfect.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
SQQQUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *the hidden and loathed fangirl screams*

*Hidden and loathed because most games suck these days....

jamesworkshop said:
Wahhooo I just replayed Alice last week it was crazy how good the game looks despite being a decade old, too bad it really could have done with a map screen otherwise it would have been perfect.

Level maps have not been used since 97ish......

Jul 22, 2009
Hooray :D I was just talking about the new Alice in Wonderland film and how disappointing it turned out...

Cannot wait for this!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Awesome! Just when wonderlane wasnlt already creeply enouygh from the new film, hehe.

Wouldnt mind a second go with this series!

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
I watched a LP of the first one, wonder if Lava Fish will make a comeback.
/obscure reference
Honestly, though, what more is there to do?
All foes were killed (besides the bandersnatch, I think, if it was even mentioned) and alice regained control of her mind, the final scene is of her leaving the asylum (as I recall) bright and cheerful. Then again, everyone was revived in their initial "good" forms at the end, maybe Alice was in another fire?

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
ZippyDSMlee said:
SQQQUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *the hidden and loathed fangirl screams*

*Hidden and loathed because most games suck these days....

jamesworkshop said:

Level maps have not been used since 97ish......
So what about darksiders or resident evil 4/5 or borderlands or diablo 2 loads of games still use map screens

no oneder

Jul 11, 2010
Awesome!!! I've been waiting for that for years!!!

I've always wondered how an American McGee game about Sgt. Peppers would be?

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
I would very much like to play the first one, but it's not on Steam, nor have I found it on any other digital distribution site.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
This is a real thing that is happening? Joy! I actually still have the original game installed and have been meaning to go through it again 'any day now', so this is just extra motivation.

Oddly enough, the ludicrously twisted and violent re-envisioning of Wonderland was something my sister practically insisted I had to play with her watching or not at all, like when we start watching a television series together (but she drags her feet and I end up blowing through entire seasons without her anyways). I've never really figured out why, as she is almost patently uninterested in just about anything else I've played; if I had to guess I'd say it was probably the art design, which was fantastic.