American McGee Announces a New Alice: Madness Returns

Oinodaemon

Apr 9, 2009
new film creepy? you mean "stupid", right? the BOOKS were creepy...Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland...eeennngghhh....srry, when she gets a sword and armor...goddamn...i mean...just...GAH....it was awful...New game looks sweet though...maybe American McGee will kill Tim Burton for me? Or put him on probation or something, i guess Beetlejuice earns him a little leeway...

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Jbird said:
I would very much like to play the first one, but it's not on Steam, nor have I found it on any other digital distribution site.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sold-Out-Software-Alice-PC/dp/B0009J1JJ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279662425&sr=8-1-spell

Amazon or ebay are just about your only choices now

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I believe I commented on this after the last trailer we saw, with her waking up to see the Cheshire cat.

As interesting as the original concept American Mcgee used, I'm not sure if it will be as awesome when the idea isn't all that new. What's more "Wonderland" has been revisited a ton of differant times in the very recent past, all with dark spins on the idea. To some extent this seems like a combination cash in, and American Mcgee more or less giving a reminder that he was one of the first people to do it. I'm less excited than I probably should be given my general love of wierd stuff.

Truthfully if people are going to explore the concept of dark versions of classic children's fantasy, I honestly think they should be turning an eye more towards things like "Oz" or other fairy tales like "Hansel and Gretal" or whatever. The reason being that while all of these things have been done, they are less treaded right now than "Wonderland" is. Perhaps I'm unusual but I tend to rapidly become less and less impressed as I see more of the same thing.

Also to be entirely honest if someone DID want to do something fairly unique, the above artwork of "Strawberry Shortcake" touches on a fairly good idea. Especially during the 1980s a lot of bright, cheerful, and upbeat worlds were created to entertain young children who are now adults. A good portion of those liscences have also fallen more or less into obscurity and don't seem to be in use. Doing really dark and menacing versions of those worlds could be interesting, perhaps even if one was to say that most of them existed in some kind of shared cosm.

I'll also say that I think Todd Mcfarlane arguably came up with the definitive vision of dark, sexy, menacing takes on fairy tales and such. Sadly I couldn't collect the figures at the time (no place to keep them mostly) but his monsterous, bondage and carnage obsessed takes on things like "Oz", "Miss Muffet", and others were quite interesting.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
YAY! Cannot wait! Hope it's even creepier than the original.
Still have to finish the first game though.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Not Strawberry Shortcake then?

Bloody hell, I would pay money to see that. In fact, just let American McGee loose at everything from our childhoods, and any fairy tale you can think of. I still need to get the funds for all his 'Grimm' series, and 'Alice' is one of my favourite games in my PC collection at the moment. I literally cannot wait for this new game, especially since it seems so much darker and more mindfucking than the first.

Now all we need is for him to get back onto the film adaptation of the first game that was in the works (he sold the movie rights a while back but nothing ever came of it), and for Marilyn Manson to hurry up with his Alice film that's in the works, and my life will be complete :D.

Hell, as a film-maker myself, I might just try and persuade my friends to make a fan-made film of the first game with me, if I can come up with a decent screenplay... ;D

In case you couldn't tell, I'm both a massive fan of Alice in Wonderland, and also a massive fan of anything dark, macabre, twisted, and especially gothic...

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
I've known the first game for a long time but i never took the time to play it. Still glad to see good games return.

oranger

May 27, 2008
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

And man do modern games suck. wtf is the point of terrific graphics if they just look...forgettable?
When this game was put out, it wasn't even near the epitome of excellent graphics, yet somehow I can't get that goddamn rocking school house out of my head whenever I think of alice in wonderland.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
I'm really hyped. Seriously, I can't remember being this hyped about a game I know so little about at this time.

It takes me back, I remember my first encounter with an alice PC game was when I was just a kid, I simply saw the cover, and there it was, the cheshire cat that gave me nightmares for weeks afterwards XD As I got older, I was reminded of the game and felt compelled to seek out info about it on the internet. The more I found out, the more I wanted desperately to play it, my laptop-that-can't-play-anything-more-advanced-than-flash-games be damned.

And soon, it seems I may finally get a chance to play through the source of many a childhood nightmare myself. Excellent, but who wants to place a bet that I revert to childhood and brick it the first time I see the next gen'd up Cheshire cat?

clipse15

May 18, 2009
jigaboon said:
new film creepy? you mean "stupid", right? the BOOKS were creepy...Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland...eeennngghhh....srry, when she gets a sword and armor...goddamn...i mean...just...GAH....it was awful...New game looks sweet though...maybe American McGee will kill Tim Burton for me? Or put him on probation or something, i guess Beetlejuice earns him a little leeway...
Are you serious? what about the Alice in Wonderland books were creepy?

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
O...M...G... I just peed from excitement... I need some new pants... OMGOMGOMG...

The original game was awesome, I bought a copy from a bargain bin a couple of years ago at $9 and while it's not one of the best games ever made, it's one of those games you would still show to your friends and proudly say that games can be art. Also it's pretty fun.

Seriously, how can you resist to this Cheshire Cat?

It's a shame it's not being sold in any digital page/solution today and it may be a bit hard to find it in a bargain bin these days... It's one of those rare games I guess. One I'm very proud to own.

Also, this trailer is what got me to play the thing in the first place, 2 years ago. Yeah, it's that awesome.

alittlepepper

Feb 14, 2010
Words can not express how happy this makes me. I have always loved American McGee's Alice...played it countless times, bought the soundtrack for it, desktop wallpaper is McGee's cheshire cat. When I heard there was potentially a new Alice in the works I was excited, now I"m just beside myself with excitement.
eeeeee!!! ^_____^

Feb 13, 2008
Trivun said:
Hell, as a film-maker myself, I might just try and persuade my friends to make a fan-made film of the first game with me, if I can come up with a decent screenplay... ;D

In case you couldn't tell, I'm both a massive fan of Alice in Wonderland, and also a massive fan of anything dark, macabre, twisted, and especially gothic...
Well...I have been known to write a few things in my time... ;)

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
WOOOOOOT! I've been waiting and its finally here! Best news all day!

ObsessiveSketch

Nov 6, 2009
I have been waiting for this ever since I finished the first one. I have only one thing to present to show my complete and utter love of this breaking news:
<youtube=C_VheAwZBuQ>

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
I had serious trouble ever getting into the first game...I wonder if that will change with this version.

Aitruis

Mar 4, 2009
Sweet. The first one sits resolutely in my all-time best list, and I'm really hyped for the new one.