Gears of War Movie Goes Back to the Drawing Board

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Gears of War Movie Goes Back to the Drawing Board

After hitting a pretty bad big stumbling block earlier in the year, the Gears of War [http://www.amazon.com/Gears-War-Xbox-360/dp/B000FRS9II/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1280253220&sr=8-1] movie is starting over from scratch.

According to Epic's Cliff Bleszinski the script for the Gears of War movie is being rethought after the budget was slashed back in April. Bleszinski said that New Line had balked at the $100 million price tag attached to the existing script because it had no love story and would have received an R-rating. Bleszinski said that the new script would be more like District 9 in scale, where the old one had been more like 2012.

New Line acquired the rights to a Gears of War movie back in 2007 and had hired Underworld director Len Wiseman to lead the project, with Bleszinski serving as Executive Producer. The original plan was to release the movie by 2009, but various delays - like a script that took nearly two years to write - made that impossible.

Bleszinski's comparison to District 9 is interesting, as not only did it cost a lot less to make than 2012, but it received much better reviews. It's also encouraging that the script doesn't seem to be being reworked so that it better fits the summer blockbuster role, love story and all. While the Gears of War games have been pretty grand in scale, there's no reason that something smaller and more intimate couldn't work on the big screen. Regardless of what happens though, it's going to be years before we seem a Gears of War movie in theaters.

Gears of War 3, on the other hand, comes out in April next year.

Source: Cinema Blend [http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Comic-Con-Gears-Of-War-Movie-Stalled-And-They-re-Starting-Over-19786.html] via Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/bleszinski-explains-gears-movie-hold-up]

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
If they're gonna make it, they need to take their time on it anyways. Not that a movie based on the game wouldn't garner fan outcries due to minor differences in details, but as long as it's decent I'll definitely see it. I consider myself a Gears fan and I'm glad Cliffy B is in on the movie instead of just passing it off to someone else without proper direction.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Some people (IE film makers and developers) seem to be under the impression this film is mandatory.

Premonition

Jan 25, 2010
Alright! Guess who's gonna b**** and moan about his wife! WHOO! Thank god they are gonna add that.

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
A bunch of armored football players fighting circus folk underground. How much CG did you add to that concept?

Well, here's hoping it's good. I don't know what retard decided that a Gears of War movie wasn't going to make money, but here's hoping it's good.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
I don't really see the need for a Gears movie. The story is basic human vs aliens stuff, with over the top violence and fairly bland characters. It works as a game because sometimes we just feel the need to chainsaw monsters in the face to relieve stress, but I can't see how a movie has much to keep you interested.

Crunchy English

Victim of a Savage Neck-bearding
Aug 20, 2008
Two years? What subtext am I missing here? What emotional depth could possibly take two years to wrangle on to the page? Marcus and the rest are the poster boys for bad dialogue, weak character motivation and everything boring about video game protagonists. Did it take two years to figure out a way to make them even remotely interesting?

Aiden_the-Joker1

Apr 21, 2010
Why does a love story have to be shoved into everything. Horror, fantasy, war films there always seems to be a love sub plot.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
Bleszinski said that New Line had balked at the $100 million price tag attached to the existing script because it had no love story and would have received an R-rating."
And there goes all my interest in this film.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, at least they didnt try and stuick a love story in it...that would have been so bad