Gran Turismo 5 to Feature Car Damage and Dynamic Weather

Michael Grimm

Feb 23, 2009
Gran Turismo 5 to Feature Car Damage and Dynamic Weather

In a recent interview, Kazanori Yamauchi said Gran Turismo 5 will feature dynamic weather changes, night driving and car model collision damage.

The information was pulled from a promotional interview between GT5 producer Yamauchi and Audi regarding the R8 sports car and its inclusion in the upcoming game. The site's video is in German, but a rough translation regarding a question about recent updates to GT5 revealed this info:

"We are working on it, including weather changes,[...] And we'll soon be able to simulate damage to racing cars."

While discussing the dynamic weather effects in the game, Yamauchi also hinted upon GT5 including night time racing. The talk of model damage is the most interesting bit though, as the franchise has notoriously been promising the feature for years, and was planning to include it when GT 5: Prologue was released over a year ago. Rumblings of a collision damage patch for Prologue have been empty as well. It still remains unclear if the car model damage will in any way affect the car's in-game handling. Amongst the major racing franchises, Gran Turismo is the only one that still does not feature any degree of car model damage.

GT:5 was announced along with the retail version of the PS3 way back in 2006 at E3. The game was initially announced as a PS3 launch title, but 3 years later still has yet to receive even an estimated release date. If memory serves, the only other racing game mentioned at Sony's 2006 E3 presentation was Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidge Racer.

Source: <a href="http://www.gtplanet.net/weather-changes-night-racing-in-gran-turismo-5/"
target="_blank">www.GTPlanet.net (via N4G)

<a href="http://www.product-reviews.net/wp-content/userimages/2007/07/ferrari-f430-destroyed.jpg"
target="_blank">Image

TheBadass

Aug 27, 2008
sirdanrhodes said:
So... it's a HD PGR4?
No, it's Gran Turismo. I'm pretty sure they mentioned that, but I could be wrong. I'll check later for you!

I'm really pumped for this, the handling in Prologue was amazing, the only sim I've ever genuinely enjoy playing.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
I'm glad they're adding damage, it actually annoyed me a bit previously. Sounding like GT5 could be the racing game to end all racing games, striking the perfect balance between Forza 2 and PGR4 but more than the sum of it's parts.
When on Earth is it coming out though?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
sirdanrhodes said:
So... it's a HD PGR4?
Except none of the PGR or Forza games have ever made the cars handle like... cars.

Sounds good, although I wonder how realistic the damage will be, could get expensive forking out for a new Zonda at the end of EVERY race.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
I'll stick with Forza Motorsport. Too be honest, I've always hated Gran Turismo. I felt it was lacking. But when I brother bought Forza for the Xbox, I felt satisfied. I mean GT4 took forever to come out and after it was realized, I was ehh. Then Forza came and I was happy.

But didn't most fans complain with the lack of realism the GT5?(like car damage)

PrimeSynergy

Aug 24, 2008
Can't wait until this comes out. Forza and Ridge Racer are fun, but I've played them to death and need a new racer! Plus I don't I've played a GT game since GT3.....

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Mornelithe said:
Darkrai said:
I'll stick with Forza Motorsport. Too be honest, I've always hated Gran Turismo. I felt it was lacking. But when I brother bought Forza for the Xbox, I felt satisfied. I mean GT4 took forever to come out and after it was realized, I was ehh. Then Forza came and I was happy.

But didn't most fans complain with the lack of realism the GT5?(like car damage)

The complaints really haven't mainly come from the franchise loyalists. There are some who'd really like to see internal damage, but actual cosmetic damage isn't that big of a deal to allot of people (check the GT forums @ Playstation.com, or GTPlanet etc..). The internal damage could definitely be a benefit to the game, blown tranny, engine etc.. But, the cosmetic really isn't necessary imo. For the rest of it, not sure where you're seeing the complaints...because there's no other game that comes even close to the level of detail that GT5P has.

As for the length of time it takes for a new GT...yeah, that's always going to be a problem as long as PD/KY put as much attention to detail into their vehicles, especially with GT5 and newer gen console hardware. They had to scrap the GT4 engine, and start from scratch, and as it stands now, the amt of polygons used in 4 for 1 car, would make 1 headlight in 5 (4000 vs 200,000). And from what I've heard, it's roughly 1 month in man-hours to make 1 car in GT5. I really love the series though, so it's not really difficult for me to wait for the next iteration to hit. To each their own I guess though =)

Cheers!

Morne
I remember seeing a video on Techtv for GT4 and I was in awe to see so much work for a racing game.

While I wouldn't mind trying GT5, I fear I'll say; "it's not forza" a lot. Like before, I never was fond of GT. But Forza Motorsport 2 was one of the system seller games I thought was worth owning an Xbox 360. I'll still haven't found the PS3 system seller. Maybe GT5 could be it.

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
Mornelithe said:
sirdanrhodes said:
So... it's a HD PGR4?
Actually, if you look at the specs, GT5: Prologue (And this is just the demo), is more Hi-Def than PGR4. 1080p @ 60fps. Got your figures backwards.
Got my figures backwards? Re read my comment. I was saying that it will be like PGR4, but just better graphics. At what point did I comment on GT5 the demo anyway?

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Eagle Est1986 said:
When on Earth is it coming out though?
Sometime in the next 5-6 years if were lucky.

I've never really played GT but I've heard good things about it.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Mornelithe said:
Darkrai said:
Mornelithe said:
Darkrai said:

The complaints really haven't mainly come from the franchise loyalists. There are some who'd really like to see internal damage, but actual cosmetic damage isn't that big of a deal to allot of people (check the GT forums @ Playstation.com, or GTPlanet etc..). The internal damage could definitely be a benefit to the game, blown tranny, engine etc.. But, the cosmetic really isn't necessary imo. For the rest of it, not sure where you're seeing the complaints...because there's no other game that comes even close to the level of detail that GT5P has.

As for the length of time it takes for a new GT...yeah, that's always going to be a problem as long as PD/KY put as much attention to detail into their vehicles, especially with GT5 and newer gen console hardware. They had to scrap the GT4 engine, and start from scratch, and as it stands now, the amt of polygons used in 4 for 1 car, would make 1 headlight in 5 (4000 vs 200,000). And from what I've heard, it's roughly 1 month in man-hours to make 1 car in GT5. I really love the series though, so it's not really difficult for me to wait for the next iteration to hit. To each their own I guess though =)

Cheers!

Morne
I remember seeing a video on Techtv for GT4 and I was in awe to see so much work for a racing game.

While I wouldn't mind trying GT5, I fear I'll say; "it's not forza" a lot. Like before, I never was fond of GT. But Forza Motorsport 2 was one of the system seller games I thought was worth owning an Xbox 360. I'll still haven't found the PS3 system seller. Maybe GT5 could be it.
To be honest Darkrai, if you felt something was missing from the earlier GT's (without being able to identify what that is, makes this particular response difficult), then you're probably going to feel the same way about GT5...I think. Again, it depends on what you felt was missing. If it was damage, well, you'll have to wait and see what they put in, if it's weather, again, same response. If it's something else though...well, again, we'll have to wait and see, not entirely certain that E3 will have anything GT related...but we've got our fingers crossed over at the PS forums. Only time will tell, bud.
It's hard to describe it. Ever had those moments where you play a game either you beat or you don't and it leaves you empty?

I know for a fact that the lack of Online play in GT4 was not the problem because I didn't play Forza Online until the 2nd one was released.