[Update] Pokemon Black & White Make Your Pokemon Broadway Stars

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
[Update] Pokemon Black & White Make Your Pokemon Broadway Stars

This six-minute Pokemon Black & White trailer may be in Japanese, but sticking funny wigs on your Pokemon and shoving them out on stage has a truly universal appeal.

Working in this industry, there are times where I've really wished that I spoke fluent Japanese. This is one of those times - I'm sure that the entire first part of the above Pokemon Black & White trailer is probably interesting, but who's to say for sure? It could be an announcement of a cool new social feature for the next Pokemon generation that lets gamers across the world play together. Or it could be something like stunningly pointless local video chat [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102042-Pokemon-Black-White-Adds-Most-Pointless-Video-Chat-Ever].

But you don't need to speak Japanese to understand the middle part of the trailer. It seems that Pokemon Musicals will be this generation's take on the "Pokemon Contest" idea introduced in Ruby & Sapphire versions. I'm not sure what makes them musicals, but you do get to put grass skirts (just asking for trouble on a Fire-type, IMO) and silly orange afro wigs on your Pokemon and make them humiliate themselves for our enjoyment.

If that's wrong, I don't want to be right.

But you know what is wrong? If my eyes don't deceive me, that trailer shows what is clearly an evolution to Luvdisc [http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Luvdisc_%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29], perhaps the single dumbest-looking Pokemon of all time. Really, guys? Luvdisc? I am going to Pokemon-Musical-embarrass the hell out of that thing.

We also get a brief glimpse at the new villain team, Team Plasma ... and judging by their appearance, they got lost on their way to the Ren Faire. I guess Team Forsooth Traveler, I Challenge Thee to a Battle of Pokemon was just too long.

Update: Reader Simalacrum has been nice enough to fill us in on what they're talking about in the first part of the trailer - as expected, they're all multiplayer features.

-The C-Gear will let you and up to three other players link together, where you can see their status, position on the map, and help each other with items.

-Hi-link mode is a first for the Pokemon series, allowing co-op play on the same map, where players can complete missions (and presumably battle the evil medieval Team Plasma) together.

-The musical is a contest that gets you rare items for being super-adorable.

-If you're connecting over the wireless infrared connection, you don't have to go through the hassle of meeting up at a Pokemon Center to battle your friend.

This is actually very cool stuff, especially the co-op play - potentially a huge first for the series. But it's not nearly as funny as the idea of dressing up and debasing your companion Pokemon for items, so I'm just going to leave that initial post as-is.

(GoNintendo [http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=131858])

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
And now we're not only enslaving innocent animals, we're stealing their childhood and giving them emotional scars that will stay with them for the rest of their lives by forcing them to perform.

Maybe they'll even throw in an epilogue explaining how the talented one became accused of child molestation.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Hehe, The cuteness is profound. Nice to see that making your pokemon more like your pet dog with silly haircuts and such is still in fashion!

Though, wish I could understand more of what was going on!

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
amazingly, I had came to the site to see if they had heard of the trailer yet, and BOOM here it is, though to be honest the fact that they had shown LUVDISC's evolution first instead of say, a new Eeveelution isn't a good sign

ArchAngelKira

Mar 25, 2010
What am I looking at? Pokemon Sims? dreamworld? something thing that looks like twiter? 3 literal turn based battles?

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
Oh for God's sake, can't they give those games a different name?! Everytime I see it I think there's news about B&W3, and then it's just for the next Pokemon generation...

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
HK_01 said:
Oh for God's sake, can't they give those games a different name?! Everytime I see it I think there's news about B&W3, and then it's just for the next Pokemon generation...
The fact that "Pokemon" comes before "Black & White" should tip you off, dude.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
John Funk said:
HK_01 said:
The fact that "Pokemon" comes before "Black & White" should tip you off, dude.
It probably should, but my brain ignores the "Pokemon" and only sees "Black & White".

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
Since I'm not fluent in japan speak either I'm assuming here but it looks like you can actually join a friends game and walk around the world together.

Cgull

Behind You
Oct 31, 2009
The Pokemon musical part of the video leads me to think the designers may be on some sort of hallucinogenic drug, 'tis colourful madness!

The rest of it looks pretty snazzy though.

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
What's with the Pokemon at the end of the video that was #000 in the Pokedex?

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Jonci said:
What's with the Pokemon at the end of the video that was #000 in the Pokedex?
I think they judt did that for the sake of the trailer. I suppose they don't want to much info to be released.

Berserker119

Dec 31, 2009
I really don't get three on three. Two on two made sense, because they actually did it in stuff like the manga and the show, and maybe they'll incorporate it in, now, but still. I don't like it.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
John Funk said:
Working in this industry, there are times where I've really wished that I spoke fluent Japanese. This is one of those times - I'm sure that the entire first part of the above Pokemon Black & White trailer is probably interesting, but who's to say for sure?
Allow me to help there! I have been fortunate enough to have been born half-Japanese and brought up to be bilingual! Woohoo!

Although there's probably more information on the video (would have been useful if the contents was written down...), from what I can tell their adding a whole lot of shizzle compared to previous iterations (although these feature's may have been present in previous ones as well, since I've stopped following the Pokemon franchise since Ruby...)

Some of the features shown in the video from Black and White include:

Something called 'C-gear', which allows your to wirelessly connect with any other players near to you (looks like you can connect with 3 other players at once), through which you can check each other's stats, position on the map, and help one another out with items, etc.

'Hilink', which allows co-op play on the same map as one another, and clear missions together.

The purpose of the 'Pokemon musical' thingy appears to be to compete with other players for 'cuteness of dress', as well as performance - you receive special gifts if you win... I think...

'Feeling check' in which you synchronistically tap the screen with another player - you get better items for better ranks of synchronisation.

If connecting via infrared, you can battle one another without going to a poké centre.

It also has a new battle system which apparently allows you to explore new tactics... it didn't go into detail of what exactly was changing, however.

Internet online connection!

you can acquire unique pokemon and items in 'pokemon dream world' - looks like its a feature of the online connectivity

'Pokeshifter' allows you to bring pokemon from Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Heart Silver and Soul Silver onto the game.

The map changes depending on the seasons.

Black and White also have a unique city for each.

I think thats about it on the features explained in the video... as I said, I haven't followed the series for a while so I don't know if any of those features are old or new... but yeah, hope that helped!

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
I hope this Deer is a lot more playable than Stantler was. I'm so happy to see a Deer one again.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Scrumpmonkey said:
As if the new pokemon weren't already shit enough. Generation 2 onwards the designes really started to go downhill.
I disagree with this. Gen3 had some wierdos, but Gen4 has some great designs. It's looking as though the odd-numbered Pokemon games are going to have the strangest designs.

Simalacrum said:
John Funk said:
Working in this industry, there are times where I've really wished that I spoke fluent Japanese. This is one of those times - I'm sure that the entire first part of the above Pokemon Black & White trailer is probably interesting, but who's to say for sure?
Allow me to help there! I have been fortunate enough to have been born half-Japanese and brought up to be bilingual! Woohoo!

Although there's probably more information on the video (would have been useful if the contents was written down...), from what I can tell their adding a whole lot of shizzle compared to previous iterations (although these feature's may have been present in previous ones as well, since I've stopped following the Pokemon franchise since Ruby...)

Some of the features shown in the video from Black and White include:

Something called 'C-gear', which allows your to wirelessly connect with any other players near to you (looks like you can connect with 3 other players at once), through which you can check each other's stats, position on the map, and help one another out with items, etc.

'Hilink', which allows co-op play on the same map as one another, and clear missions together.

The purpose of the 'Pokemon musical' thingy appears to be to compete with other players for 'cuteness of dress', as well as performance - you receive special gifts if you win... I think...

'Feeling check' in which you synchronistically tap the screen with another player - you get better items for better ranks of synchronisation.

If connecting via infrared, you can battle one another without going to a poké centre.

It also has a new battle system which apparently allows you to explore new tactics... it didn't go into detail of what exactly was changing, however.

Internet online connection!

you can acquire unique pokemon and items in 'pokemon dream world' - looks like its a feature of the online connectivity

'Pokeshifter' allows you to bring pokemon from Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Heart Silver and Soul Silver onto the game.

The map changes depending on the seasons.

Black and White also have a unique city for each.

I think thats about it on the features explained in the video... as I said, I haven't followed the series for a while so I don't know if any of those features are old or new... but yeah, hope that helped!
Oh hey, thanks! I'll update the original post accordingly.

Darkstar370

Nov 5, 2009
Scrumpmonkey said:
As if the new pokemon weren't already shit enough. Generation 2 onwards the designes really started to go downhill.
Generation 1 had the least creative Pokemon.

Or do you really believe that sticking three Pokemon together is an 'evolution'?

Tomtitan

Jun 7, 2010
You think Luvdisc is the dumbest Pokemon ever? One word: Dunsparce. No, I mean seriously. What is it? Why does it exist? It does not evolve, has no stats to speak of, is NOT based on an animal (ok, it is, but it still looks alien to me). Why Game Freak? Why do you assault my eyes with that abomination?