2.5 Million Miners Buy Minecraft

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
SteelStallion said:
Already bored of it, to be quite honest. About 10-20 hours ish total of playing/building.

There's no point to it. Maybe it just isn't my kind of game, I'm not the kind of guy to roam around GTA 4 after finishing the main storyline or avoiding the main quest line in RPGs, so I guess that's probably why.

Good for them though.
There have been several times with Minecraft that I've completed all of my current projects and not had something new to go on to and got bored - but after a while I've always come back and found new things to do.

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
So how does a company with no games recently released win March Mayhem?

Anyhow, this would be more impressive if you actually listed the cost. I'm a lot more impressed by 2.5 million copies sold for $50 than 2.5 million copies sold for $1.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
HankMan said:
It aught to be no surprise by now that everyone really digs this game.
Bloody hell, it's like you're mining for cheap laughs...

Well, good for Mojang! Now let's finish this game, and possibly incorporate some of the better mods out there, like Flan's plane mod, or Millenaire's villager mod.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
This is fantastic it's happing to an indie dev for a change. He's livin the dream of getting rich by doing his hobby.

It goes to show that low priced, low over-head, and minimal graphics games can still make money on the PC! The Big publishers are full of shit because it's not that they don't make money, it's just they dump so much money into a graphics engine that it doesn't make ENOUGH money.

If gamers weren't such graphics whores, games could be bigger and more complex without devs having to worry about a big clunky engine choking on too many objects to render.

We're at the point that the visuals actually handicap and limit the game itself... games used to be expansive and allowed for 64-128 player multiplayer, but now we've taken a step back to 12-16 player matches, sacrificing everything for volumetric lighting and brown/grey environments

pezmanon

Feb 6, 2011
SteelStallion said:
fisk0 said:
SteelStallion said:
Already bored of it, to be quite honest. About 10-20 hours ish total of playing/building.

There's no point to it. Maybe it just isn't my kind of game, I'm not the kind of guy to roam around GTA 4 after finishing the main storyline or avoiding the main quest line in RPGs, so I guess that's probably why.

Good for them though.
10-20 hours for $15 isn't bad though, considering you can pay $70 for 4 hours of Call of Duty.
I guess so. I tend to avoid games with little replay value, as they are quite expensive where I live. RPGs and Rockstar games, great fun and good value :).

Multiplayer titles too, multiplayer I like anyway. I've gotten over 500 hours off of Heroes of Newerth, easily, for 30 bucks. I've been playing since closed beta though.

I'm sure I'll pick up Minecraft again after a few updates though, or maybe if some cool mods show up. But I'm just not fond of the "here's a buncha shit, entertain yourself." sort of affair.

I like linear storylines, call me on dimensional but whatever. I like something to work towards, orchestrated by the game. For example, I'm currently playing Red Dead Redemption right now (just recently bought it, a little late yes I know.) and I'm very invested in John Martson's story. The reason I keep going is because I'm eager to find out what happens next.

I suppose if you set a goal for yourself in Minecraft, like building a castle or that golden cock and balls like Yahtzee suggested, then sure, but I don't know...
Have you tried playing minecraft online? I got bored fairly quickly on single player, but got much more out of it online. It's surprising how much more satisfying building stuff is when there's other people to appreciate it. The themed servers and server mods also add new elements.

Sneaky-Pie

Sep 22, 2008
If you find yourselves getting bored of singleplayer, multiplayer Minecraft is infinitely better.

There's a lot of fun to be had when you build with your friends! Might be a good idea to check out the Minecraft usergroup here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Escapecraft-Minecraft].

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
John Funk said:
There are 2.5 million people in the world of indie phenomenon Minecraft, and they're all being blown up by Creepers.
...is it me, or was the similarity in linguistic cadence [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQxfRrEsCg] there intentional?

Just for more meme-tastic fun...
Random Argument Man said:
My turn my turn my turn! [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DMNsm_Dq7Q]

*ahem*
On topic: I'll be excited when this game is technically released... I seem to have something against the available payment options, so far... and I really prefer to get a hard copy of my games. I know, I know... I'm a dinosaur.

MajorDolphin

Apr 26, 2011
To anyone who doesn't really like this game... it's nothing if you don't play online on a good server.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
loc978 said:
John Funk said:
There are 2.5 million people in the world of indie phenomenon Minecraft, and they're all being blown up by Creepers.
...is it me, or was the similarity in linguistic cadence [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQxfRrEsCg] there intentional?

Just for more meme-tastic fun...
Random Argument Man said:
My turn my turn my turn! [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DMNsm_Dq7Q]

*ahem*
On topic: I'll be excited when this game is technically released... I seem to have something against the available payment options, so far... and I really prefer to get a hard copy of my games. I know, I'm a dinosaur...
I don't think he'll release a hard copy of the game just because it get's an official release. Notch himself said it'll pretty much be an arbitrary date, presumably with a big update. So don't hold your breath for that

Jeremy Springfield

Mar 16, 2011
I have compiled a little information quickly in reply to Bags159 comment.

Crafthub has an excellent graph of 2010 purchases.
http://crafthub.net/2010/10/18/minecrafts-stats-over-3-months/
The information is a little old at this point, but you can extrapolate some good sales information from it. The graph came from a website that is unfortunately no longer in operation.

Also check the http://www.minecraft.net/stats.jsp page for the total number of purchases and registrations to date. Don't multiple the current number of purchases by the current price, because approximately a 200,000 (rounding a bit there, maybe closer to 300k, I can't exactly remember) purchases were made at a lower rate. Still the bulk of purchases were made in Beta.

I assume that if you take the total number of purchases right now and multiply by the current price, you will get a number that approximates the total amount of money they will make on Minecraft purchases. Which means that the demand curve will trend down once the game is in 'release' status. I think the bulk of the purchases have been made already. Well for the PC version anyway. I have no idea what the mobile and xbox sales are going to be like.

Google trends might get you some interesting information.
http://www.google.com/trends?q=minecraft&ctab=0&geo=all&date=ytd&sort=0

Alpha purchases were at 9.95 Euro. Beta Purchases are priced at 14.95 Euro. The release version of the game will be 20 Euro. It's anecdotal, but being in the U.S. I paid about $13.00 in Alpha due to the exchange rate at the time.

I was really impressed when doing the numbers. Granted I am not familiarly with the Swedish Tax system / tax rate other than knowing that it's high relative to the U.S.... But it's a good chunk of currency.

*** Edit ***
I'm not sure how to mention this without getting a warning... But this reply inspired a post on my blog which goes into greater and better organized detail. I'll post links in my profile to keep this comment from breaking the rules.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Now if only Notch could use his big pile of money to hire more people and make some significant progress. For as much as the Minecraft fanbase as grown the game isn't really growing to match that.