2011 Spike Video Game Award Nominees Announced

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
ShadowsofHope said:
..How the fuck did Dragon Age 2 get into the Best RPG category for nominee's, yet Witcher 2 did not?! Witcher 2 should have easily gotten both spots, despite my like (though less than) for Dragon Age 2.

Also, I would add The Old Republic to that list as well, if there was an MMO spot (yes, I'm a beta tester, I actually have an informed opinion on the game - not a fanboy). But it's still just coming out of beta for final release, so I guess that disqualifies it.

I, however, would most definitely agree with Arkham City and Skyrim being up there, naturally.
Why should TOR be disqualified? Skyward Sword isn't out yet either.
Oh, not saying it should be disqualified (infact, quite the opposite). Just not seeing any MMORPG's on that list, nor any games that have yet to come out yet, though will by the end of this year. Didn't see it on the list on Spike's site either, though I may have missed it.

Is this a final nominee list, or?

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
Skyrim is much better than any of the other games nominated for GOTY (IMO) so I hope it wins.

vivalahelvig

Jun 4, 2009
Go (in order)....
Skyrim!
Valve!
MW3? I 'onno, all them games be kinda shit.
Skyrim!
Portal 2!
Erhm....Infamous 2? I 'onno, I dun have a ps3
And finally....
Minecraft....or portal 2!

There are my picks out of those categories!
If I get all these right, you all owe me 30$!

Jan 27, 2011
GOTY:
Either
* The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Bethesda Softworks/Bethesda Game Studios)
* Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (Sony Computer Entertainment/Naughty Dog)
Will get it.

Studio of the Year
Either
* Bethesda Game Studios
* Naughty Dog
will win it.

Best Shooter
* Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Activision/Infinity Ward/Sledgehammer Games)
will win it. If it didn't, there would be fanboy rage on the stage.

Best RPG
Either
* Dark Souls (Namco Bandai/Fromsoftware)
* The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Bethesda Softworks/Bethesda Game Studios)
Takes it.

Best PC Game
Probably
* Battlefield 3 (Electronic Arts/DICE)
Will take it, so as not to piss off the BF3 fanboys who will be upset at CoD winning the best shooter category.

However they might go for
* Minecraft (Mojang)
If they feel like they want some "indie cred"

-----
But honestly, I don't give a rats ass about the Spike VGAs. It was boring two years ago, It'll probably be boring this year.

And honestly, Deus Ex 3 is my personal GOTY, and no one will convince me otherwise. Nor should you. You probably have your own favourites to champion. So cheer for the game you like best, and I'll cheer for the one I like best.

Spawny0908

Feb 11, 2009
Irridium said:
So, they nominate Dragon Age 2 for best RPG, but not Witcher 2?

And WWE All Stars for best fighting game, but not the newest BlazeBlue?

What the fuck is this, the Spike VGA's? Oh... it is. Well, that explains it.
I have an Xbox 360 so I obviously never played The Witcher 2 but just looking at it I can tell that it is leagues better than Dragon Age 2...

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
ShadowsofHope said:
..How the fuck did Dragon Age 2 get into the Best RPG category for nominee's, yet Witcher 2 did not?! Witcher 2 should have easily gotten both spots, despite my like (though less than) for Dragon Age 2.

Also, I would add The Old Republic to that list as well, if there was an MMO spot (yes, I'm a beta tester, I actually have an informed opinion on the game - not a fanboy). But it's still just coming out of beta for final release, so I guess that disqualifies it.

I, however, would most definitely agree with Arkham City and Skyrim being up there, naturally.
It didn't make the list because it doesn't come out until two weeks after the show airs is my guess.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
I loathe the Spike VGA's, but...I have to admit I *love* watching the indignant gnashing of teeth from the Witcher 2 contingency.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
asinann said:
ShadowsofHope said:

It didn't make the list because it doesn't come out until two weeks after the show airs is my guess.
Mh, that is likely the case. Unfortunate, really. If only it waited those last two weeks, my GOTY would be included (not necessarily win, but at least be included).. Ah well. :/

nin_ninja

Nov 12, 2009
Game of the Year

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Bethesda Softworks/Bethesda Game Studios)

Studio of the Year

Valve

Best Shooter

Battlefield 3 (Electronic Arts/DICE)

Best RPG

Dark Souls (Namco Bandai/Fromsoftware)

Best Xbox 360 Game

Batman: Arkham City (Warner Bros Interactive/Rocksteady Studios)

Best PlayStation 3 Game

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (Sony Computer Entertainment/Naughty Dog)

Best PC Game

Minecraft (Mojang)

My list based on the games given for each category. I don't agree with the Best Xbox 360 games, but the list was short.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Game of the year
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword or Batman:Arkham City

Studio of the year
Valve

Best shooter
Rage

Best RPG
Deus Ex Human Revolution

Best Xbox 360 game
Batman Arkham city

Best PS3 game
Infamous 2

Best PC game
Minecraft

That's what i would like to see winning this year's Spike VGA

Hawkeye16

Nov 15, 2009
I figured out that the Spike awards were bullshit when they gave a best actress award to Megan Fox (over Arleen Sorkin no less!) and a best character award to a side character in black ops.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Oh, hey look, I was right again! GOTY nominees are all overrated titles that were released rather recently (past month), except for one game which was decent from earlier in the year. And the majority of the awards would all be the same 6 games. That just proves these awards are all a joke.

Sep 14, 2009
wait...i loved DAII, but it beat out witcher 2 for best rpg?

y u sense no make?????!?!?!

otherwise some of it ain't too shabby..will be interesting to see the actual top picks though.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Does anyone take this garbage seriously? I watched a few times, it's just a flashy show with celebrities and has more to do with them than the actual games.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
One more year of the VGAs, one more year of forums exploding with posts that can be summarized "WTF?!"

It's like Christmas caroling, only with the music replaced with screams of shock and confusion. So it's not like caroling at all.

Unless I let the demiwolves out while the carolers are outside.

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
What's this? No category for "Most Anticipated Game"? I will not stand for this! I for one call for a boycott of this program! WHO'S WITH ME?