2012 cars still using hand-crank windows?

theSHAH

Jul 31, 2011
I'm shopping around for a new car and I thought I had found it when I saw the Nissan Versa sedan. But then I failed to find anything about power windows and I always just took power windows as a given. Then I read about how even brand new cars made in the past 5 years are still using these and that power windows are not always standard. What is going on here? Does anyone actually drive a new car and still experiences a mini-work out whenever they need some air?

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
Low cost cars often have them as an option: ostensibly to save you money, or so they can advertise a lower price.

Higher priced cars will definitely have them as standard, unless it's some kind of stripped down model.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
The real question to me is, are you really so lazy as to make that a deal breaker on what is apparently an otherwise good car?

EDIT: Or is it more just a thing of curiosity?

Miles000

is most likly drunk righyt noiw!
Apr 18, 2010
I hate power windows...

They are touchy, bitchy things that are useless if they loose power.
Give me manual windows any day.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Dimitriov said:
Low cost cars often have them as an option: ostensibly to save you money, or so they can advertise a lower price.

Higher priced cars will definitely have them as standard, unless it's some kind of stripped down model.
Even a lot of "entry level" models of some economy cars are starting to have power windows standard, especially ones which are expressly trying to market themselves as "high MPG" rather than low price.

If it doesn't have it as an option, I'd assume it's standard. Same thing with ABS. Obviously these are things to make sure are clear when you're buying the car, too.

theSHAH

Jul 31, 2011
I admit there is an elemental of laziness, but the main turn off is the huge blow the interior appearance of the car takes. You could have the sexiest leather seats and light-up this or that, then you look at your crank and it just ruins everything. I'm currently driving a 96' Volvo and I don't have to look at that, I shouldn't have to on a car 16 years newer. It just makes it seem pretty shitty, the whole idea of a brand new car is to have some level of technological upgrade. Why get a "new" car if I'm going to be downgrading on some aspects, I shouldn't have to downgrade on any.

Daniel Moores

Mar 27, 2011
I like them for safety reasons. If I were to ever crash into water and the car was sinking, I'd be able to crank open the windows. If they were powered, the crash may have made them unable to be opened.

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
Dags90 said:
Dimitriov said:

Even a lot of "entry level" models of some economy cars are starting to have power windows standard, especially ones which are expressly trying to market themselves as "high MPG" rather than low price.

If it doesn't have it as an option, I'd assume it's standard. Same thing with ABS.
True enough, but of course that's just marketing from the other angle: "look at all the standard features on OUR entry level model!"

Basically it comes down to what they think will sell. Personally I don't care about power windows, but whatever makes people happy :D

imagremlin

Nov 19, 2007
I strongly suspect that hand crank windows are no cheaper (if not more expensive) than a little electric motor these days.

Yet, sometimes market research dictates that you have to include certain features to drive a specific message. In this case: this is a CHEAP car.

Case in point: I read somewhere that blenders and vacuum cleaners must be noisy. They could make them quieter, but then they are perceived as weak (even if they aren't). Don't remember where so don't hold me to that.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I like them despite their lack of convenience.
There's no motor to burn out (which has happened to every bloomin car I've owned or driven significantly; and I rarely use the windows), and in the unlikely event I go underwater, I can count on the door not shitting out before getting the window opened.

Ympulse

Feb 15, 2011
theSHAH said:
I'm shopping around for a new car and I thought I had found it when I saw the Nissan Versa sedan. But then I failed to find anything about power windows and I always just took power windows as a given. Then I read about how even brand new cars made in the past 5 years are still using these and that power windows are not always standard. What is going on here? Does anyone actually drive a new car and still experiences a mini-work out whenever they need some air?
Let me guess, daddy is going to buy you that car?

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Power windows are sweet.

Except when you're in an accident or in a river and need to get out quickly. (Living in Michigan, the thought of driving into a lake or river is really quite plausible).

In that case, power windows (and rear windows that don't go down all of the way) can cause your death.

Thus, I prefer manual, but I seriously don't understand why you can't simply have both. Powered, but with a backup handle in case the power is broken. Would it be that hard to make? (No, is the answer)

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Daniel Moores said:
I like them for safety reasons. If I were to ever crash into water and the car was sinking, I'd be able to crank open the windows. If they were powered, the crash may have made them unable to be opened.
It makes far more sense to just open the door in that case. Just saying.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Agayek said:
Daniel Moores said:
It makes far more sense to just open the door in that case. Just saying.
If you are already in the water, the water pressure will tend to make that difficult, assuming you have an outwards opening door.

Opening the dooe before you hit might work, assuming it doesn't shut when you hit, but is difficult unless you are an action movie star.

Feb 13, 2008
theSHAH said:
I admit there is an elemental of laziness, but the main turn off is the huge blow the interior appearance of the car takes. ... Why get a "new" car if I'm going to be downgrading on some aspects, I shouldn't have to downgrade on any.
I've never driven, and it's mainly because of attitudes like this.

In the items I treasure the most, I wouldn't label something a failure just because it does something differently.

It'd be like not eating a pizza because there's not enough pepperoni on it. The very first thing I'd consider is price - and the very last would be "how stylish it looks".

Bazaalmon

Apr 19, 2009
Electronics fail a lot easier than mechanical devices. Even though it may take a bit of elbow grease to raise/lower your windows, I think it will last longer than electric windows. Unless you are REALLY against non-electronic things, I don't think it'll be a problem.