2013 And Racism in America?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Quiet Stranger said:
As to this "black" president thing, pretty sure he's black AND white, so not completely black, he's mixed. (Yeah yeah, I know he's more black than white but still)
Well, not so much that. Race is subjective, he's seen to be the first black PotUS because the others were very white, but I heard he'd be considered to be a white president of Kenya, if he ruled there.

Now, not sure how true that is, but there'd seem to be something to it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Queen Michael said:
Considering that some American high schools still have racially segregated proms, I'd say that this is possibly true and definitely plausible.
To hell with that. We've got Republicans actively trying to prevent lack people from voting in virtually every red state in the country. You should see the steps some people have to go to in order to vote in North Carolina: Arthur Dent had fewer problems when they tried to knock down his house.

SonOfVoorhees said:
But its a small minority now and the norma anymore as it once was.
Ahahahahahahahaha.

*wipes tear from eye*

Wait, that was serious?

Yes, one black President (who 10-20% of the country actively admitted was disqualified to them because of race) is certainly going to turn the tides.

Angie7F said:
i cant help but wonder, if this is such a big problem, then those who are discriminated against should boycott the area and move.
There's a number of problems there.

1. It lets the racists win. Such a boycott would likely accomplish nothing except giving them exactly what they want.
2. It sets the precedent that this is okay.
3. It might literally not occur to them that people would get treated any different elsewhere. It may seem obvious to YOU, but....
4. We're usually talking about the same groups who are disproportionately poor (blacks, latinos). Simply moving may not be possible, especially if they don't think they can, for example, get jobs or find housing because of 3.

Solaire of Astora said:
However easy it is to paint the entire South as heavily racist based on the past, I would caution against taking that course of action.

There's racism everywhere.
"There's racism everywhere" is such a cop-out. Yes, there is. It seems to cluster in the South. The South is where they clung to anti-miscengation laws up until it was deemed unconstitutional to do so in the 70s, and where they tried to enforce them into the 80s and 90s. It's where, with almost no exceptions, black people are being targeted over the right to vote.

You might as well say "oceans don't exist! There is water everywhere!" for all the honestly it brings.

Yeah, you find the most civilised society on Earth and there will still be racism. But it's possible (and quit easy) to find clusters of racism behaviour. And boy, is there a ton of it still going on in the South. That's not to say that there isn't racism elsewhere, but come on!

omega 616 said:
Speaking of rappers, how often do black rappers say "nigga"?
As human being we generally understand context. For example, when a black person says "******" or "nigga" it is quite unlikely they're using it in the sense of "a ******'s graveyard" or other rather hateful things. Really, it isn't that hard to discern. Similarly, jokes from a position of inequity? Come now. I mean, black people get denied jobs and homes and even basic civil rights, but they get to make jokes, and we can't stand for that level of privilege!

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
"There's racism everywhere" is such a cop-out. Yes, there is. It seems to cluster in the South. The South is where they clung to anti-miscengation laws up until it was deemed unconstitutional to do so in the 70s, and where they tried to enforce them into the 80s and 90s. It's where, with almost no exceptions, black people are being targeted over the right to vote.

You might as well say "oceans don't exist! There is water everywhere!" for all the honestly it brings.

Yeah, you find the most civilised society on Earth and there will still be racism. But it's possible (and quit easy) to find clusters of racism behaviour. And boy, is there a ton of it still going on in the South. That's not to say that there isn't racism elsewhere, but come on!
Yes and no. On the one hand, saying "racism is everywhere" is a cop-out.

On the other hand, it's easy for people outside of those places to look at somewhere worse than them to avoid facing their own problems. If you only condemn the worst, you imply that only the worst is bad enough to be a problem.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Easton Dark said:
MysticSlayer said:
Well, that is the deep American South (more specifically, Alabama, one of the worst of the southern states). With the exception maybe of Florida and Louisiana (can't speak for Louisiana on experience, but I did know someone from there), the deep American South still hasn't caught up with the times in terms of racial equality, which is still far from perfect to begin with.
Florida confirmed for the worst, worst people without question.

But all of the south sucks. I can't name one state on the southern border I'd ever consider living.
I am Canadian so all this stuff is kinda strange to me for the most part but I remember my parents telling me about how when we were in Florida we had to leave a few different places simply cause white people were not welcome. It seems so strange to me but I guess it is a very big thing in the US.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
thaluikhain said:
Yes and no. On the one hand, saying "racism is everywhere" is a cop-out.

On the other hand, it's easy for people outside of those places to look at somewhere worse than them to avoid facing their own problems. If you only condemn the worst, you imply that only the worst is bad enough to be a problem.
That's nice, but as nobody (here) is actually doing that, it has all the meaning of a platitude on a throw pillow.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Easton Dark said:
MysticSlayer said:
Well, that is the deep American South (more specifically, Alabama, one of the worst of the southern states). With the exception maybe of Florida and Louisiana (can't speak for Louisiana on experience, but I did know someone from there), the deep American South still hasn't caught up with the times in terms of racial equality, which is still far from perfect to begin with.
Florida confirmed for the worst, worst people without question.

But all of the south sucks. I can't name one state on the southern border I'd ever consider living.
I've lived in Florida most of my life. There are places in it that are really screwed up, and others that are just nasty (in more than one way). I have one friend who just can't stop talking about all the messed up stuff he experienced in DeLand. However, having lived in Orlando, West Palm Beach, Miami, and now in a city I won't mention for privacy reasons, I can say that most of the state is far from having the "worst people without question".

Keep in mind, I also lived in Richmond, which is culturally one of the most southern cities in the country, for two years. I didn't know one person in Richmond who was originally from Florida, nor do I know anyone in Florida who lived in Richmond for a time, who doesn't agree there is a massive culture shock between the two. After that, it is hard to call Florida a truly southern state, as the culture doesn't really reflect it, especially when you compare it to a place like Richmond. Maybe up north is worse (I've spent all my time in the central and southern portions of the state), but Central Florida and Southern Florida aren't that bad.

Solaire of Astora said:
However easy it is to paint the entire South as heavily racist based on the past, I would caution against taking that course of action.

There's racism everywhere. Some people just don't want to admit it. I don't deny the existence of ignorance on a perhaps larger scale where I live, but it's not nearly as bad as some people think (keep in mind that I have lived in two relatively developed areas in Mississippi, so maybe my own experiences are skewed).
I understand that there is racism everywhere. I even tried to reflect that in my post:

MysticSlayer said:
the deep American South still hasn't caught up with the times in terms of racial equality, which is still far from perfect to begin with.
I'm just stating that the South tends to be worse than, say, the Northeast or Upper Midwest, so it really shouldn't surprise us that they are getting involved in this. Personally, I'm more surprised that people would be surprised by this kind of stuff happening but, then again, this kind of stuff happens in Richmond all the time. However, we also shouldn't assume the rest of America is as bad as this, even if America on the whole has a long way to go to reach total racial equality.

I'm also not trying to say everyone in the South is some grumpy racist who would deny someone entry into a group on the basis of race. I'm just saying it is relatively more rampant there than in other places of the country.

kaioshade

Apr 10, 2011
Deshara said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Implying that we're civilized...
Keep in mind that this is the country where not only are people walking into schools with guns and killing people's children a thing, but it happening sparks no change.
Children not getting shot to death in elementary schools<nra's profit margin.
Not civilized.

EDIT: Oh, and let's not forget how this year we all found out that running a minor down in the street with a gun and killing them isn't murder if your victim's black and therefor a dangerous hoodlum
The US is far from perfect, but to say we are uncivilized is a stretch.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Deshara said:
Implying that we're civilized...
No, dear, I said "most civilised." You know, like on the SATs, where you are asked to pick the "most correct" answer?

See, "most" changes the way a phrase works.

Keep in mind that this is the country where not only are people walking into schools with guns and killing people's children a thing, but it happening sparks no change.
Children not getting shot to death in elementary schools<nra's profit margin.
Not civilized.
How fortunate, then, that I wasn't just talking America. Something you should also have been picked up when reading my post.

EDIT: Oh, and let's not forget how this year we all found out that running a minor down in the street with a gun in hand and shooting them to death isn't murder if your victim's black and therefor a dangerous hoodlum
How overly dramatic a retelling, but again, that does nothing to change what I already said. I'm terribly sorry that you didn't feel limited to the words I used and the particular arrangements of those words, but you have to ignore a lot of what I said to get to this place from where I was.

Please don't rant at me for things I didn't say.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Deshara said:
Although it should be noted that the evil black man is demonised for anything he does ever, even if it's exactly the same thing that happened with the last president, who had the good grace and planning to have been born white
Actually, it should be noted that the "evil" black President is demonised whether he does something or not. Economy recovering (albeit slowly)? Obama weak on jobs! Obama ruins economy! Debt dropping? Obama spending out of control, balloons budget, deficit, debt!

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
If you're in the US most corporations will ask you if you're okay with 'diversity in the workplace' because they actually have enough volume to create a need to filter out the racists.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
As human being we generally understand context. For example, when a black person says "******" or "nigga" it is quite unlikely they're using it in the sense of "a ******'s graveyard" or other rather hateful things. Really, it isn't that hard to discern. Similarly, jokes from a position of inequity? Come now. I mean, black people get denied jobs and homes and even basic civil rights, but they get to make jokes, and we can't stand for that level of privilege!
That is not only missing my point but twisting my words as well.

My point is "******" and "nigga" are the same thing and both come from when black people were property, that is a time when humanity should be deeply embarrassed of... Instead, it is been allowed to linger by the very people it insults.

Yahtzee did an episode about Mario bros and at the end he talks about Bowser wearing bad guy mantle with pride, I guess this is what that is but I think it's undermining the anti-racism cause.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
AccursedTheory said:
Well, the story says it all, really.

The young members of the organizations picked these girls and wanted them in. The old people actually in charge blocked it.

Time will solve this issue. It's just a matter of the old people dieing.
Yes. I always heard that the best way to do away with racism is a socially tolerable and accepting new generation while time slowly weeds out the racist old generation.

That will be the day.

an874

Jul 17, 2009
To be honest, I would have only been surprised by this if it happened in the American Northeast or the West Coast or other such areas regarded as comparatively progressive. However, if we're talking about a part of the South, deep in shit kicker country, I'm surprised that they weren't treated even worse.

Wraith

Oct 11, 2011
omega 616 said:
Here's a little something I typed up on this very thing roughly a year ago. I keep it on my PC just in instances like this. It's badly worded, has minor grammatical errors, but most people agree that it is on point. Now, I should start off by saying, I do not agree that racism would disappear if one group of people stopped saying one word. I believe that one issue would end if everyone understood the difference between the current use of that word, and hypocrites who use it, would stop being hypocrites. Ending racism would take more than just redefining a word.

Anyway onto the paper:

Let us take a look at a word I and a rather large amount of black people use. Of course I mean 'the N word'. I'm sure we all know how it was used aggressively back during the United States slavery years and how it can still cause a big stir to this day. But not a lot of people have looked at its evolution into a rather less offensive form. Now before I get into that, I need to clarify that ****** is not inherently offensive. In certain areas of the world people use ****** or words that sound close to it as a non-offensive descriptor. There is no racist connotation with it, it?s just another way of saying ?black person? or ?person with dark skin?. But in most if not all English speaking nations it is offensive. No one truly uses that word with good intention and no matter what the dictionary suggests it is ALWAYS directed at one race and to that race as a whole. Not saying the word is strictly evil in and of itself, but that it is almost never used for anything other than evil.

When people say or even think that word they think of a black person. Why? Because that is the race it was created to degrade. I see so many times -usually over the internet- that -mostly white- people try to justify their use of it with the dictionary's description, which states that it means ?someone of any race that is lazy and/or ignorant?. But then these people go on to use the word exclusively for black people. Not only are they contradicting themselves, but they are hiding behind that definition so they can have an excuse to use racist insults.

Now onto evolution, this word descended from the words negro (Spanish: black) and niger (Latin: color black). With that in mind it's easy to see how the word became wildly used a few hundred years ago. And since it was always used offensively it became a slur, but as time passed even the slaves started using it. However, the 'er' sound was dropped off the edge, replaced with an 'a' sound and the word was pronounced 'nig-uh'. This was done through constant mistranslation by the slaves themselves, due to English not being their first language and to a lack of education on proper pronunciation. This method changed the meaning for some. Others believe the changing of the 'er' doesn't affect the meaning: Brother- Brotha ; Sister- Sista; Mother- Motha etc.

But I think, like to, two, and too the words may look and sound the same, but they have different meanings and different uses. I live in an area where practically every black person I have met uses that word. And whenever we use it, it is used as a pronoun mostly for men or a group of people in general. It is also synonymous with other male pronouns like dude, brother, sir, guy etc. For example, you can replace that word in any rap song with a different male pronoun and it would not change the meaning of the song at all.

Example:
Niggas out here are crazy.-- People out here are crazy.
That nigga is crazy. -- That man is crazy.
I'm looking for that nigga, Jeff. -- I'm looking for that dude, Jeff.

It is used as a male pronoun, because even when women use it, they don't direct it to each other. They direct it towards men.

Example:
I'm looking for a real nigga.-- I'm looking for a real man.

It can even be used for males of different races, but it is usually accompanied with their race because, like the original term, when used people automatically think black. (That is due to the word itself being used largely by black people, to refer to black men.)

Example:
Where's that white nigga, Brandon?
Where's that white dude, Brandon?

This term is less offensive because, over the ages black people were able to remove a good amount of the hate from the word by dropping the 'er' and spreading it around as a regular pronoun for all races. I, myself, am comfortable with people of any race to using nigga around me if they understand the differences and can use it in non-offensive terms.

What most people of the... uhm... lighter skin tone seem to believe is that nigga is used as a term of endearment between black folk. Nope. Not true. No one every goes "OMG, he called me a nigga! That means we're best friends now!" Yes, the word can be used in a friendly way, but that is because the word isn't offensive between friends or between people who use the word themselves.

Example: That's my nigga.-- That's my man.-- That's my pal.-- That's my buddy.

But with all that you may think, ?Why can?t ****** have multiple meanings? Why can?t it evolve from only affecting black people to affecting everyone else as well??
That is because over the centuries since its inception it has always been exclusive and continues to remain so. Again, no one uses that slur for any race other than black. If the word began to change its meaning centuries ago, it may very well have become something that could be used for any race. But it didn?t change. It is continually used to target the people it was created to degrade. It can?t be used widely, because people never started using it widely.

You may also think, ?Why not just stop using ****** and nigga altogether? Since there is so much confusion over their proper use why not just get rid of them from the English language?? It is my firm belief that no words are inherently bad, but how we use them can add a negative social stigma to them. Just like how the harmless words negro and niger were transformed into something socially regarded as horrible.

But don't think because one person is okay with the term that the next person will be. Just because I allow my friends to do it around me doesn't mean the next black guy will like to see them using it. I know a large group of black people who use it daily, yet will jump at the chance to scream "racist" to a white person who uses it. I know black people who don't use it at all, just because they feel no need to. Hell, I know black people who'll go on a gigantic speech on why we shouldn't use it because of its past history. There are hypocrites everywhere, but most importantly of all, different people will take offense to different things.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
MysticSlayer said:
Well, I have to say that I agree with you there. Just felt like going on the defensive since I hate being associated with those types of people.

Thank you for the reply.

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
I live in a rural area in Michigan, and I can tell you a lot (not saying all or even most, but a lot) of people are very racist around here. I hear it all the time. I hear racial slurs. I hear the stupidest crap ever about the US president (if you don't like him or his policies, fine, that is open for discussion, but not because of his skin color). I really hope that this stuff dies out.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
You know, these people should be really proud that they're on the "We're waiting for you to die so that the only thing left of your memory and ideals is a vague sense of shame we all feel" list.