Microsoft: Unannounced Title Aimed at Core PC Gamers

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Microsoft: Unannounced Title Aimed at Core PC Gamers

Microsoft Game Studios boss Dave Luehmann says that the studio is working on a PC game worth upgrading for.

If you've spent a small fortune building an amazing gaming PC, it makes sense that you'd want to play games that took advantage of all that power. These might be in short supply right now, but Luehmann says that that is only temporary, and Microsoft Game Studios is working on games that will let PC gamers flex their hardware muscles.

Luehmann says that Microsoft wants to support the full range of PC gamers, including hardware enthusiasts who enjoy upgrading their machines. He said that Microsoft was working on a number of core titles, with one in particular designed with a very hardcore demographic in mind. Comparing Microsoft's approach to a funnel - starting broad and eventually becoming more and more specialized - he said that the company wanted to have options available no matter how deep into the funnel a person was. He added that there were more announcements to come, and that there was plenty in the development queue that people didn't know about yet.

In June, Microsoft reaffirmed its commitment [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101550-Microsoft-Pledges-to-Save-PC-Gaming-Again] to PC gaming, admitting that its previous efforts had been less than robust, and said that Fable 3's [http://www.amazon.com/Fable-III-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0JGDM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1283177373&sr=8-1] release on the PC was a great first step to reinvigorating the platform. The news that Microsoft Game Studios is working on something seriously hardcore seems like another step in the right direction, but it could also be just a token gesture. Unfortunately, until we get a chance to see what this game is, and take a look at the rest of the games in development, we won't know which one it is.

Source: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2010/08/30/microsoft-pc-chief-unannounced-game-aimed-at-the-gpu-cpu-upgraders/]

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Can't they just update DirectX (properly, instead of just rehashing it) and piss off?

Don't even get me started on Fable 3 "reinvigorating" the platform - it doesn't need reinvigorating, and I highly doubt Fable 3 would be the game to do that if it did. They're so out of touch with the market it's unreal.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
eh, no, thank you Microsoft, but no game EVER is worth paying $500 for a video card and stuff, and no, I ain't buying any more Microsoft Games, but thanks for trying

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Bwahahahah! Pull the other one, Microsoft. You haven't made a PC game, let alone one worth buying, for years.

I'll give it a chance, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Remember what they said about Borderlands?

Jun 11, 2008
Well that's at least they are doing something not that the platform needs invigorating as it is not dying. I think that these statements make PC to look much wosre than it is really. I wish that they would just drop GFWL as that really is horrible.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Yawn. Wake me up when they have a release date, then I might consider having a look at what all the fuss is about. 'Til then, I'll take everything they say with a pinch a bucket of salt.

Pielikey

Jul 31, 2009
Microsoft would like to present everyone with their latest achievement:

Flight Simulator: Cryengine 3 Edition.

Also what Woodsey said:

Woodsey said:
Don't even get me started on Fable 3 "reinvigorating" the platform - it doesn't need reinvigorating, and I highly doubt Fable 3 would be the game to do that if it did. They're so out of touch with the market it's unreal.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Here's my prediction: Microsoft shit out a generic game with stupidly high system requirements, it sells poorly because it's both generic/bland and it's system requirements make for a high entry barrier, Microsoft blames poor sales on piracy.

... or it'll become the new Crysis - pirated to fuck to use as a benchmarking program.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Only "platform" that needs invigorating is GFWL, & no amount of voodoo will save that dead horse

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Damit Mircosoft we do not need your help! Pc gaming is just fine, Metro 2033 and the annoucement of a new STALKER are just the first 2 examples that spring to mind.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Lemme guess, it's a miniput game. BUT WITH EXTREMELY REALISTIC GRAPHICS. INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM REAL LIFE AND GRAPHICS.

Crysis eat your heart out. This hard core miniput game is coming for you.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Aww, that's so sweet of Microsoft to pretend they care about the PC too.
I wonder when they'll decide to market this "exclusive" on the 360?

I also wonder if this is an apology for when they completely ignored the PC when they were badmouthing the PS3 about Mass Effect 2?

Exocet

Pandamonium is at hand
Dec 3, 2008
As long as they drop this games for windows live bullshit,I'll be happy.
I can't even get a game to work on multiplayer because that shit of a program can't update properly without crashing.

I would so love to see them make Age of Empires 4.

Baron Khaine

Jun 24, 2009
PC doesn't need reinvigorating, and even if it did, it'd come from far better developers than microsoft, like our PC overlords at Valve.

Also, in before someone posts the PC Happily Dying since whenever picture.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Now whenever I hear Microsoft and PC gaming in the same sentence, the first thing I think is, "What a crock of shit."

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
RatRace123 said:
Aww, that's so sweet of Microsoft to pretend they care about the PC too.
Yes, how dare MICROSOFT act like they actually care about PCs. It's not like they sell a large portion of the operating systems for PC's or anything. Oh wait...

Did you mean Microsoft Games maybe?

As for this game, I don't really care about it. If Microsoft Games said that 'Bam! We got this great new game mechanic that plays awesome and fits the M/KB so well books will be written about how it took so long to be created!' I would be interested but 'Bam! Awesome graphics!' has been done so many times before that I don't care. Who honestly buys a game purely because it's pretty anyway. I want a bit more from games than that.