2019-2020 coronavirus pandemic (Vaccination 2021 Edition)

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
The issue is this is not SARS, and does not actually behave like SARS, SARS is a respiratory virus, once it damages the lungs, it does not then go on to infect endothelial cells and cause blood clotting and organ damage in the way that COVID-19 does. What this virus does is very different, it does not even have to infect the lungs to kill you due to what it does to your blood vessels.

The Physicians and nurses treating some of the patients at the first nursing home that was known to be infected with COVID-19 in the US, had stated that some of the patients had no respiratory symptoms, but instead had " red eyes" and died in the same day. Although most people have been infected via lungs and thus have lung damage in order for the virus to enter the blood stream, it is not the only means by which it can be spread. If it entered the bloodstream by another method, through an open wound, eyes or through sexual contact, it is possible that they would not have respiratory symptoms at all and still have severe illness. Sadly though , due to how widespread this currently is in hospitals at the moment, even if you did not have it in your lungs prior to being admitted, there is a high probability you would once there due to repeated exposure in the hospital itself.
You should also understand that people may not have been vitamin D deficient prior to illness and that could also be a result of hypophosphataemia induced by the infection in their lungs. Not everything is as simple as taking vitamin' D in advance. I have seen this in some of my pediatric patients prior to COVID-19, even in those who are otherwise healthy prior, as this can actually occur from hyperventilation alone in otherwise healthy patients. Often, levels will return to normal after resolving dyspnea. I certainly hope people are not out taking too many vitamins they do not know they need thinking it will protect them.

If the same protein that attaches itself is common in both coronaviruses, a vaccine target that protein and can work for both. That's what the experts are saying.

If Vitamin D isn't important than why have 40% of Stockholm's deaths been from Somalis when they make up 1% of the population? Darker skinned people that live in far northern countries with less sun are very likely to be Vitamin D deficient. Having good Vitamin D levels is important to your immune system anyway so why wouldn't you take it if you were deficient in it?

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
This may assist you:
Until there is some evidence of a change in virus biology, we cannot say that there are new strains of the virus. It’s important to appreciate that mutations are a normal byproduct of virus replication and that most mutations we observe won’t have any impact on virus biology or function.” - Professor David Robertson (May 22).

And

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
If the same protein that attaches itself is common in both coronaviruses, a vaccine target that protein and can work for both. That's what the experts are saying.

If Vitamin D isn't important than why have 40% of Stockholm's deaths been from Somalis when they make up 1% of the population? Darker skinned people that live in far northern countries with less sun are very likely to be Vitamin D deficient. Having good Vitamin D levels is important to your immune system anyway so why wouldn't you take it if you were deficient in it?
Who said Vitamin D wasn't important? I never stated that or insinuated that. Please do not make false claims about my statement. I stated that their vitamin Deficiency may not have existed prior to respiratory distress in COVID-19 patients. Please re read above instead address what does not apply to my statement.

You should take vitamins if you know you know you have a deficiency, and in most cases a daily vitamin wouldn't hurt if you do not have a proper diet, taking excess vitamins to treat a deficiency however, that is usually determined through tests not guesses as most people are not going to be Somali migrants in Stockholm and this would not apply.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
If Vitamin D isn't important than why have 40% of Stockholm's deaths been from Somalis when they make up 1% of the population? Darker skinned people that live in far northern countries with less sun are very likely to be Vitamin D deficient.
Not necessarily, because these days a lot of food is fortified with added vitamins. There are a lot of potential other factors to consider: lower general standard of health and general nutrition, they do jobs that may involve greater exposure, there could be genetic links, and so on.

But I'd certainly think stuffing some extra Vit D down your throat a good idea.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Not necessarily, because these days a lot of food is fortified with added vitamins. There are a lot of potential other factors to consider: lower general standard of health and general nutrition, they do jobs that may involve greater exposure, there could be genetic links, and so on.

But I'd certainly think stuffing some extra Vit D down your throat a good idea.
Keep in mind not all Vitamin D is the same as well. If you do not get enough sunlight, you specifically want Vitamin D3 AND you need to take it with Calcium, even a couple of tums would do the trick in order to help you absorb it. Though most people already get enough from sunlight alone, so stuffing too many in there would not be advised.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Until there is some evidence of a change in virus biology, we cannot say that there are new strains of the virus. It’s important to appreciate that mutations are a normal byproduct of virus replication and that most mutations we observe won’t have any impact on virus biology or function.” - Professor David Robertson (May 22).

And

So you link a video that states that there are multiple strains of COVID-19, just they do not have enough information yet to determine how much impact they will have yet? Hmm. Okay.. Did you watch this video you linked? BTW the quote you added, just proved my point. "MOST" is not all. Some of the mutations do have an impact.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
The issue is this is not SARS, and does not actually behave like SARS, SARS is a respiratory virus, once it damages the lungs, it does not then go on to infect endothelial cells and cause blood clotting and organ damage in the way that COVID-19 does. What this virus does is very different, it does not even have to infect the lungs to kill you due to what it does to your blood vessels.

The Physicians and nurses treating some of the patients at the first nursing home that was known to be infected with COVID-19 in the US, had stated that some of the patients had no respiratory symptoms, but instead had " red eyes" and died in the same day. Although most people have been infected via lungs and thus have lung damage in order for the virus to enter the blood stream, it is not the only means by which it can be spread. If it entered the bloodstream by another method, through an open wound, eyes or through sexual contact, it is possible that they would not have respiratory symptoms at all and still have severe illness. Sadly though , due to how widespread this currently is in hospitals at the moment, even if you did not have it in your lungs prior to being admitted, there is a high probability you would once there due to repeated exposure in the hospital itself.
You should also understand that people may not have been vitamin D deficient prior to illness and that could also be a result of hypophosphataemia induced by the infection in their lungs. Not everything is as simple as taking vitamin' D in advance. I have seen this in some of my pediatric patients prior to COVID-19, even in those who are otherwise healthy prior, as this can actually occur from hyperventilation alone in otherwise healthy patients. Often, levels will return to normal after resolving dyspnea. I certainly hope people are not out taking too many vitamins they do not know they need thinking it will protect them.

Yeah, but you forgot to add apoptosis of the endothelium occurs because of vastly delayed immune response which is exactly due to underlying disease. That coronavirus disease can also be contracted through sexual contact is kind of bogus and the same reason why PCR tests are so unreliable; they also test positive for waste material.

A useful comparison is the 'flu vaccine: this is actually a combination of several different agents, all of which target a different major 'flu strain, and we have to add new ones as new 'flu variants arise.

Antibodies are proteins formed of two main zones - one that binds to antigens (targets for the immune system to attack), and one that binds to elements of the immune system to signal an attack order. The antigen-binding zone is often very specific for a particular target: the target has to have just the "right" sort of chemical structure such that even small changes between two different antigens may make an antibody unable to bind. Present someone with a vaccine, the body generates antibodies to elements of the vaccine that are identical to the target virus, which then means a viral infection will rapidly be hunted down and destroyed. However, this means that if SARS-CoV-2 has differences in the structure of whatever the putative SARS-CoV-1 vaccine caused antibodies to target for, it probably wouldn't work. On the other hand, with a working SARS-CoV-1 vaccine, it might provide a modest "head start" to make development of a SARS-CoV-2 vaccine quicker.

I have seen reports that a small percentage of the population of SE Asia have quite a wide range of anti-CoV antibodies, probably because these sorts of CoV infections might be quite common in that area. Some also suggest people may have resistance from antibodies against CoV variants associated with (for instance) the common cold - although that's quite theoretical.
I read somewhere a few years ago based on a study that was published that one of the few disadvantages of flu vaccines is that since there is no activation of white blood cells like during a 'normal' bad case of flu that this could possibly render the immune system more vulnerable to complications from unknown infections since it's less 'vigilant' so to say. It would be interesting to research how many of the Covid patients had previous flu shots.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I stated that their vitamin Deficiency may not have existed prior to respiratory distress in COVID-19 patients.
"Vitamin D deficiency was common in immigrants living at higher latitudes." The same exact population in Sweden that is dying at extremely higher rates than others was studied before the new virus was even a thing and found Vitamin D deficiency. The numbers and trends pointing to Vitamin D importance with regards to the new virus are overwhelming at this point. Also, Vitamin D directly affects things like ACE-2 and it's important in regulation and suppression of inflammatory cytokine response, both are rather important with the new virus. Thinking it can help in your body's response to the virus isn't some far-fetched reasoning.

So you link a video that states that there are multiple strains of COVID-19, just they do not have enough information yet to determine how much impact they will have yet? Hmm. Okay.. Did you watch this video you linked? BTW the quote you added, just proved my point. "MOST" is not all. Some of the mutations do have an impact.
Did YOU watch the video? The video literally stated there is no evidence currently of a 2nd strain of the virus. The video mentioned the different lineages of the virus, but lineage =/= strain. All mutations probably have some kind of impact (no matter how minuscule) I'd assume, but a mutation changing something so much it becomes something significantly different is very low.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
...but what about coronavirus disease?
Problem wasn't COVID-19, not directly. The problem was this:

...It is already estimated that delayed surgical procedures(like cancer treatments or organ transplants for example) is costing more years lost than coronavirus ever would.
Because quarantines and lockdowns were to prevent uncontrolled spread taxing health care systems, infrastructures, and supply lines, to the point buggies and ouchies a lot nastier than COVID-19 could no longer be adequately treated. As should be well known by now, drugs, medical equipment, PPE, and sanitation supplies don't grow on trees, and once supplies are depleted treating a wave of COVID-19 cases they're no longer available for treating later, more life threatening, conditions.

If the purpose is to wait for a vaccine well Ebola took 10 years...
Yeah I hate to break it to you, that didn't take ten years. That took less than a year, once white people started squirting their own liquified guts out in their home countries, which lit a fire under Westerners' asses to adequately fund research on a vaccine.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
That coronavirus disease can also be contracted through sexual contact is kind of bogus
I mean maybe I've been missing out, but I have trouble seeing how two people could engage in sexual contact without directly (saliva) or indirectly (breath) sharing any infectious respiratory disease outside of everyone involved wearing gear like n95 masks.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
I mean maybe I've been missing out, but I have trouble seeing how two people could engage in sexual contact without directly (saliva) or indirectly (breath) sharing any infectious respiratory disease outside of everyone involved wearing gear like n95 masks.
Somebody's gonna do it, and that person is me.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Problem wasn't COVID-19, not directly. The problem was this:

Because quarantines and lockdowns were to prevent uncontrolled spread taxing health care systems, infrastructures, and supply lines, to the point buggies and ouchies a lot nastier than COVID-19 could no longer be adequately treated. As should be well known by now, drugs, medical equipment, PPE, and sanitation supplies don't grow on trees, and once supplies are depleted treating a wave of COVID-19 cases they're no longer available for treating later, more life threatening, conditions.
Doesn't change the fact you prioritize one form of care over the other. One with potentially much more life years lost.

Yeah I hate to break it to you, that didn't take ten years. That took less than a year, once white people started squirting their own liquified guts out in their home countries, which lit a fire under Westerners' asses to adequately fund research on a vaccine.
There were hardly, if any, outbreaks of ebola in western countries so I don't know what you're talking about.

Question was more if live viral particles could also be found in sperm. Say someone was sick and they tested positive on a PCR test doesn't automatically mean they're still infectious but that it could just as well be waste product. But positive test alone was somehow 'evidence' of covid as an 'std'. Most likely that waste product just travels all over the body.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Doesn't change the fact you prioritize one form of care over the other. One with potentially much more life years lost.
Ever hear the old quote about tactics, strategy, and logistics? Well, this is what a public health crisis looks like when it must be considered, first and foremost, in logistical terms. If you're thinking in terms of COVID-19's mortality rate you're looking at the completely wrong statistic; the one you ought to be looking at is that 20% of cases manifest symptoms severe enough to necessitate medical intervention.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Ever hear the old quote about tactics, strategy, and logistics? Well, this is what a public health crisis looks like when it must be considered, first and foremost, in logistical terms. If you're thinking in terms of COVID-19's mortality rate you're looking at the completely wrong statistic; the one you ought to be looking at is that 20% of cases manifest symptoms severe enough to necessitate medical intervention.
20%? Lol. More like 0,3% at most and that is with major underreporting of people who contract coronavirus and never consult a medical practitioner in the first place because symptoms are too mild. In reality it's probably more like 0,1% or even lower. That in no way warrants the vast collateral damage of cancelled or delayed operations of patients with other medical problems. Many of who will die as a result and many to most will also not be 80+

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
20%? Lol. More like 0,3% at most and that is with major underreporting of people who contract coronavirus and never consult a medical practitioner in the first place because symptoms are too mild. In reality it's probably more like 0,1% or even lower. That in no way warrants the vast collateral damage of cancelled or delayed operations of patients with other medical problems. Many of who will die as a result and many to most will also not be 80+
I agree it's not 20% but the percent needing medical assistance isn't as low as 0.1-0.3%. I think the most optimistic numbers (which probably won't end up being the most accurate when it's all said and done) are putting the mortality rate at around 0.2%. Thus, people needing medical assistance has to be higher than that. The NYC data numbers are probably the best pool to analyze due to their size and also size of the antibody tests they've done. Those numbers are saying that the actual infected are 10x more than the reported infection number. So if 20 of every 100 (20%) people need medical assistance going by the official numbers then in reality, 20 of 1,000 people actually need medical assistance, which equals out to 2%. There's a handful of common sense measures that should be employed to curve the infection and death rate and we totally don't need to stay locked down over this kind of virus. In the beginning, we didn't have the numbers yet nor did we prepare at all.

Last edited:

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Emergencies are still treated as emergencies. I don't have coronavirus, but the ER still saw me a couple weeks ago. And I had an out-patient procedure completed today to break up a 5mm kidney stone that's been causing nausea and vomiting for 3 days prior to going to the ER. Of course, I also am lucky enough to live in a city where hospitals are the primary employers, so grain of salt.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Day 83 of mandatory quarantine for me and 18 more days to go. And to think the year started off so normal.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
No, it's 20% and that is accounting for underreporting, because it tracks with South Korean, Italian, and French data from mass and spot testing, and contact tracing which accounts for asymptomatic and mildly-symptomatic cases. Those aren't just WHO numbers based on shady-ass Chinese data, that's the CDC's and Johns Hopkins' numbers.

Now let me guess, now you're going to move the goalposts by trying to claim faulty testing and that's not really the case.