2019 the best year for FPS?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

New member
Aug 2, 2015
7,915
0
0
Metroid Prime 4 will destroy all of them.....if Metroid Prime 4 is everything I hope it will be and more.

PLEASE take notes from the first 2 games Nintendo.
 

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
7,782
1,080
118
Country
Australia
Gender
Male
B-Cell said:
and how is Doom post apocalyptic?
Well, the fact that the Biblical apocalypse has more or less occurred? The fact that Earth's been consumed by Hell? The fact that the human race is likely extinct?
 

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
14,334
0
0
Samtemdo8 said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Oh yeah, because 3 games that aren't even out yet are a greeeeeeeeeeeeat indicator for an entire year. Sure.
Also,
meh, meh and meh.
When did Metro became Meh?
Since I looked at that screenshot and thought it was dull and uninteresting.
 

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
5,264
0
0
Are any of these a proper Battlefront or Time Splitter?
No?

Then...nope.
 
Oct 22, 2011
1,223
0
0
OK, let's see...
1996 - Duke Nukem 3D and Quake
1998 - Half-life and Unreal
1999 - Unreal Tournament and System Shock 2
2003 - Call of Duty and Counter-Strike
2004 - Half-Life 2, Far Cry, Painkiller and UT2004
2006 - F.E.A.R. and Prey
2007 - Call of Duty 4, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Orange Box

I dunno if any of these titles is ensured to get on the same level. Much less all three, buddy.
 

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
10,312
0
0
No, because all you showed were FPSes that are throwbacks to bad 90's design.

MrCalavera said:
OK, let's see...
1996 - Duke Nukem 3D and Quake
1998 - Half-life and Unreal
1999 - Unreal Tournament and System Shock 2
2003 - Call of Duty and Counter-Strike
2004 - Half-Life 2, Far Cry, Painkiller and UT2004
2006 - F.E.A.R. and Prey
2007 - Call of Duty 4, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Orange Box

I dunno if any of these titles is ensured to get on the same level. Much less all three, buddy.
07 more importantly had Metroid Prime 3, Bioshock, and Halo 3.
 

Squilookle

New member
Nov 6, 2008
3,584
0
0
B-Cell said:
Squilookle said:
Blurting out our picks for the best year of FPSes hey? Alright- mine's gotta be 2000

I mean c'mon- Perfect Dark!? Soldier of Fortune? The launch of seminal series like Deus Ex and Counter Strike? This was the year of both Medal of Honor Underground and No One Lives Forever. It had the first appearance of Timesplitters. The World is Not Enough came out. Quake III got its team expansion. Delta Force got another iteration. Codename Eagle. Team Fortress Standalone. Turok 3. SWAT 3 Elite edition. Unreal freaking Tournament GOTY edition anyone?? Even the Dreamcast got in on the fun with its own exclusive in Outtrigger.

Compared to now? My god, what the hell happened to the games industry?
the only good ones are Deus Ex and Soldier of fortune. NOLF was overrated/Meh and perfect dark and MOH underground are shallow console shooters.
Wow- and I thought you actually knew your shooters. NOLF was barely rated at all- so if anything it was massively underrated, and Perfect Dark a shallow console shooter? Buddy- PD wipes the floor with your favourites from the 90s. It's got features in it that were so ahead of their time they still haven't been seen again over eighteen years later.

Shallow console shooter? Ha- what an utter joke.
 

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
4,028
1,397
118
Country
Texas
False, 1876 will stand as the greatest year for FPS of all time.
 
Feb 7, 2016
728
0
0
Squilookle said:
B-Cell said:
Squilookle said:
Blurting out our picks for the best year of FPSes hey? Alright- mine's gotta be 2000

I mean c'mon- Perfect Dark!? Soldier of Fortune? The launch of seminal series like Deus Ex and Counter Strike? This was the year of both Medal of Honor Underground and No One Lives Forever. It had the first appearance of Timesplitters. The World is Not Enough came out. Quake III got its team expansion. Delta Force got another iteration. Codename Eagle. Team Fortress Standalone. Turok 3. SWAT 3 Elite edition. Unreal freaking Tournament GOTY edition anyone?? Even the Dreamcast got in on the fun with its own exclusive in Outtrigger.

Compared to now? My god, what the hell happened to the games industry?
the only good ones are Deus Ex and Soldier of fortune. NOLF was overrated/Meh and perfect dark and MOH underground are shallow console shooters.

Wow- and I thought you actually knew your shooters.
I think there's repeated evidence that he most certainly does not.
 

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
7,782
1,080
118
Country
Australia
Gender
Male
B-Cell said:
perfect dark and MOH underground are shallow console shooters.
Considering they've both got female protagonists, I'm surprised you even played them. 0_0
 

Yoshi178

New member
Aug 15, 2014
2,108
0
0
Samtemdo8 said:
Metroid Prime 4 will destroy all of them.....if Metroid Prime 4 is everything I hope it will be and more.

PLEASE take notes from the first 2 games Nintendo.
Metroid Prime is a First Person Adventure.

exlploration and puzzle solving take more of a focus than shooting does in that series. except for maybe Metroid Prime Hunters but that was utter garbage.
 

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

New member
Aug 2, 2015
7,915
0
0
Yoshi178 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Metroid Prime 4 will destroy all of them.....if Metroid Prime 4 is everything I hope it will be and more.

PLEASE take notes from the first 2 games Nintendo.
Metroid Prime is a First Person Adventure.

exlploration and puzzle solving take more of a focus than shooting does in that series. except for maybe Metroid Prime Hunters but that was utter garbage.
Doom is just as much of a First Person Adventure as is Metroid Prime. I mean there is PLENTY of exploration to be had.
 

Yoshi178

New member
Aug 15, 2014
2,108
0
0
Samtemdo8 said:
Yoshi178 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Metroid Prime 4 will destroy all of them.....if Metroid Prime 4 is everything I hope it will be and more.

PLEASE take notes from the first 2 games Nintendo.
Metroid Prime is a First Person Adventure.

exlploration and puzzle solving take more of a focus than shooting does in that series. except for maybe Metroid Prime Hunters but that was utter garbage.
Doom is just as much of a First Person Adventure as is Metroid Prime. I mean there is PLENTY of exploration to be had.
i haven't played modern doom yet except for a PAX demo.

i have played the original DOOM though and that was hardly exploration based. it literally was just an FPS. no exploration whatsoever in that
 

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
2,636
118
68
Yoshi178 said:
i have played the original DOOM though and that was hardly exploration based. it literally was just an FPS. no exploration whatsoever in that
That'd be the nigh infamous running around for keycards or finding secrets (though that was optional).

I vaguely recall some light puzzles popping in for Doom 2 as well, mostly pressure plate stuff, though that might've been Heretic bleeding together with it.

Games 20 odd years later of course will tend to have more complexity, its like comparing Golden Axe with Dark Souls.
 

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
14,334
0
0
Yoshi178 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Yoshi178 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Metroid Prime 4 will destroy all of them.....if Metroid Prime 4 is everything I hope it will be and more.

PLEASE take notes from the first 2 games Nintendo.
Metroid Prime is a First Person Adventure.

exlploration and puzzle solving take more of a focus than shooting does in that series. except for maybe Metroid Prime Hunters but that was utter garbage.
Doom is just as much of a First Person Adventure as is Metroid Prime. I mean there is PLENTY of exploration to be had.
i haven't played modern doom yet except for a PAX demo.

i have played the original DOOM though and that was hardly exploration based. it literally was just an FPS. no exploration whatsoever in that
It's been quite some time since I played the original DOOM, but I seem to recall there was plenty of exploring that had to be done to find all the keycards. Also there were plenty of optional secrets to be discovered.
 
Oct 22, 2011
1,223
0
0
Souplex said:
No, because all you showed were FPSes that are throwbacks to bad 90's design.

MrCalavera said:
OK, let's see...
1996 - Duke Nukem 3D and Quake
1998 - Half-life and Unreal
1999 - Unreal Tournament and System Shock 2
2003 - Call of Duty and Counter-Strike
2004 - Half-Life 2, Far Cry, Painkiller and UT2004
2006 - F.E.A.R. and Prey
2007 - Call of Duty 4, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Orange Box

I dunno if any of these titles is ensured to get on the same level. Much less all three, buddy.
07 more importantly had Metroid Prime 3, Bioshock, and Halo 3.
I deliberately ommited any console shooters, because i'm talking to B-Cell here. That's why i didn't mention Goldeneye, or Killzone either.
As for Bioshock... The game had lot of style, and story was good until a point(though YMMV), but i found the gameplay lacking. I think the sequel was better in that regard.
 

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
10,312
0
0
MrCalavera said:
Souplex said:
No, because all you showed were FPSes that are throwbacks to bad 90's design.

MrCalavera said:
OK, let's see...
1996 - Duke Nukem 3D and Quake
1998 - Half-life and Unreal
1999 - Unreal Tournament and System Shock 2
2003 - Call of Duty and Counter-Strike
2004 - Half-Life 2, Far Cry, Painkiller and UT2004
2006 - F.E.A.R. and Prey
2007 - Call of Duty 4, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Orange Box

I dunno if any of these titles is ensured to get on the same level. Much less all three, buddy.
07 more importantly had Metroid Prime 3, Bioshock, and Halo 3.
I deliberately ommited any console shooters, because i'm talking to B-Cell here. That's why i didn't mention Goldeneye, or Killzone either.
As for Bioshock... The game had lot of style, and story was good until a point(though YMMV), but i found the gameplay lacking. I think the sequel was better in that regard.
You're still engaging him? I've settled on talking past him and discussing actual good FPSes that don't revel in bad 90's design.
 

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
7,782
1,080
118
Country
Australia
Gender
Male
Samtemdo8 said:
Doom is just as much of a First Person Adventure as is Metroid Prime. I mean there is PLENTY of exploration to be had.
Saying Doom has exploration is like saying there's lettace in a hamburger - technically true, but irrelevant to the product, and not what you play/eat it for.

But even then, much as I dislike Metroid Prime, that at least had a sense of exploration - you're on an alien world where you get to uncover its secrets and history. Doom has the premise of "demons have invaded, kill them" and doesn't go beyond that. There's no sense of wonder or discovery to be had in the original Doom game (which is true for most Doom games - certainly prior to Doom 3 at least).