2023 Video Game Resolutions

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Inspired by one of the recent Escapist podcasts, let's pick some "New Year's Resolutions" we might have for 2023. I have two for myself:

1. Complete 3 Critically Acclaimed Indy Darlings
I have started and quit a bunch of these games. I'm talking about the big indies, the ones that are critically acclaimed and have rabid fanbases. These are games I respect, admire, and even like(d), but hit a point where it was too hard or frustrating. Mostly, it's the platforming that is too hand-crampingly annoying. Or it's some metroidvania or roguelike b.s. that I get too frustrated with doing the same thing over and over.
But I have some tactics I plan to use to complete them this time:
- Steam Deck. I love this device, find the layout really comfortable, and the fact I can play it on the go, in any room or docked with a controller means it will be more conducive to the struggle than the tiny Switch or enchained to a living room console.
- Multi-tasking. I like having a game to play while listening to podcasts or music, and if a game has me running around areas I already been to or doing runs or re-attempting tough boss fights, I don't need the game's soundtrack for those parts.
- Cheating. I'll look up stuff on youtube or whatever to get past it.
- Go slow. I'm going to use this as an opportunity to combat my instinct to "get through" games.

The reason I want to do this is mostly being inspired by Tunic and reminding myself how much fun I can have being angry at a 2D game.
But also there really aren't any more big AAA games I want to play right now, I pretty much played the ones I want to. Sure there will be some more coming out this year and I will play them, but these will be my go-to in between.
First one I'm starting with is Hollow Knight. I made it maybe half-way or so (?) and got to a point where the act of getting to some boss was more frustrating than actually fighting it and I hated it. So I will just take my time, use internet guides to ensure I level up as best I can, and give it another go. And yeah I'll be re-starting any of these from scratch.

If I beat HK then other games like this are: Celeste, Neon White, Outer Wilds, Dead Cells, and the Oris.

2. Make a good youtube video
I want to try my hand at video editing. Since I know Witcher 3 in painful detail and the upgrade finally came out, I want to try putting together some guides that, despite the preponderance of W3 content on youtube, I feel are still missing. Even if I fail to actually produce one, it will give me an appreciation for the work that goes into some of the videos I have enjoyed.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
As always, I just want to play a lot more *new* games (at least to me).

My backlog is currently about 230 games strong, and there are a lot of great games in there that I want to get to, but I keep on getting distracted by the classics of the past, because I know that I am guaranteed a good time.

Last edited:

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Well I would put my usual response of not to buy more games because I know would be a lie this year. There is a ton of stuff coming out at the start of this year that I'm interested in.

The Dead Space and RE4 remakes for a start. Plus the Persona and Tales of Symphonia re-releases too. And on top of that whenever the new Zelda game is out.

So I guess my resolution is to at least start games in my backlog as well as finish other games that I liked and for some reason never finished.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I want to try my hand at video editing. Since I know Witcher 3 in painful detail and the upgrade finally came out, I want to try putting together some guides that, despite the preponderance of W3 content on youtube, I feel are still missing. Even if I fail to actually produce one, it will give me an appreciation for the work that goes into some of the videos I have enjoyed.
As someone who's done video content in the past, I can give you one solid piece of advice: Invest in good sound equipment. You don't even need to spend that much- I got great results from a $60 microphone/mount arm/pop filter combo, just using Audacity to filter out room noise- but I've found that viewers will forgive poor visuals far more easily than poor sound.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
You and me both. I've had several ideas walking around my head of ideas to turn into videos. It's possible that my takes aren't that clever and I just would like to hear my own voice, but making a video, even a mediocre one, is something I've wanted to do.

As someone who's done video content in the past, I can give you one solid piece of advice: Invest in good sound equipment. You don't even need to spend that much- I got great results from a $60 microphone/mount arm/pop filter combo, just using Audacity to filter out room noise- but I've found that viewers will forgive poor visuals far more easily than poor sound.
That's the picture I've also gotten.

What's the video content you've made? Anything of relevance for visitors of a website such as this?

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
I'm just really shit at committing to any game to completion. It's so rare to be able to get to an ending without being distracted by some other life bollocks or new shiny thing, that any moment of reaching a game's credits is a rare catharsis. So, well, I'd like to be less like that plz. Am doing ok with Weird West so far, it works wonders with playing podcasts too.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
  • Dedicate my time to a fighting game, but I make no promises. Street Fighter VI will be my choice.
  • Play River City Girls 2.

Reactions: gorfias

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I thought of another one.

Beat the campaign mode in Granblue Fantasy Verses... Its good, but just annoying fighting the mook enemies.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
-Get around to finishing The Outer Wilds. I started it like 2-3 years ago and never got more then an hour in.

-Try to play through the rest of the Mainline Zelda's before Tears of the Kingdom comes out(or before I play TotK). By mainline I mean: Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword. I know there are a bunch of other ones but I can wait on Spirit Track, for example.

-Play at least one of the Pathfinder RPGs. Probably do Kingmaker first because WotR apparently has a lot more QoL improvements over Kingmaker and going back will be annoying. This'll probably wait for a while just because it's apparently a long ass game and I won't get anything else done while playing it.

-Learn how to Play Crusader Kings 2 this year, I guess? Like sit down and actually learn how to play the damn thing instead of curling up in a fetal position of fucking despair after 10 minutes of looking at all the buttons and options like I normally do.

-Hollow Knight Silksong IF it comes out this year like it's apparently supposed to.

-Elden Ring DLC if we get any. I'm starting to wander if we're even gonna get DLC for that game. That or Armored Core VI.

-Maybe try to actual Beat Demons Souls since it's the only thing that's exclusive to my PS5. It's the only FROM game I've played but never finished because I keep bouncing off of it.

Addition:

-Gonna do some JRPGs as well. Chained Echos is getting really good reviews and I still have Crosscode in my backlog that is apparently pretty good.

Last edited:

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
As always, I just want to play a lot more *new* games (at least to me).

My backlog is currently about 230 games strong, and there are a lot of great games in there that I want to get to, but I keep on getting distracted by the classics of the past, because I know that I am guaranteed a good time.

Scary how much we share in backlog.
On your backlog that I have finished is:

Arizona Sunshine
Fallout: New Vegas
Star Wars: Vader Immortal
Until Dawn

I pledge to play the sequel to Arizona Sunshine, "After the Fall", with my nephew in law to be at least 1 hour a week. He's trying to get through school and raise a dog while engaged to my niece so he's busy these days! But I should be able to peel him away for a hour a week.

I also pledge to finish Rise of the Tomb Raider so I can get onto Shadow already!

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Fetch my old PS2 from my parents' house. I want to see how ugly those old PS1 and 2 games look on a 60" 4K TV. Plus I 'm too cheap to buy a new DVD player when there's a perfectly good one I can use.

Spend less time playing games that just pass the time. It's a rare day that I find a game that really pulls me in.

I will be buying Total Warhammer 3 at some point, as long as we get to at least 33% sale.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Fetch my old PS2 from my parents' house. I want to see how ugly those old PS1 and 2 games look on a 60" 4K TV. Plus I 'm too cheap to buy a new DVD player when there's a perfectly good one I can use.
Depends on the game. Most cel-shaded games look even greater than they did before with an HDMI converter. I play my GC, Wii, and PS2 games with it. If it's game that focused on having a distinct look/art style or is 2D over "realistic" 3D graphics, then you should be fine.

Reactions: gorfias

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Depends on the game. Most cel-shaded games look even greater than they did before with an HDMI converter. I play my GC, Wii, and PS2 games with it. If it's game that focused on having a distinct look/art style or is 2D over "realistic" 3D graphics, then you should be fine.
Trying to remember what I still have, most of it got sold off. I think resident evil 1&2, gran tourismo 2, puzzle fighter turbo, music, dead or alive, die hard trilogy, worms, baldurs gate dark alliance 1&2, cold winter, fire warrior....

The SNES has axelay, super street fighter, street fighter, secret of mana, heberekes popoon, mario kart and bomberman.

Reactions: BrawlMan

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Not technically a game, but I’m hoping to upgrade my pc to i5-13600k, as well as other parts. i7-8700k has served me well so far, but it’s starting to struggle with more recent games.

Other than that, i want to continue to stay away from competitive multiplayer games as far as possible. I broke the toxic cycle; I don’t want to go back to that

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Hook up my PS4 to my monitor and actually play the around 4 games I have just lying around. One was lent to me by my boss and the other gifted by my girlfriend, so I need to play them.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010

Spend less time playing games that just pass the time. It's a rare day that I find a game that really pulls me in.

I will be buying Total Warhammer 3 at some point, as long as we get to at least 33% sale.
If your willing, you can hock up a PC to TV screen and emulate it, you don't need anything crazy for PS2 emulator.

Warhammer 3 is great and is already occasionally going 33% off (its 20% atm), so probably will happen soon. I just spend 90 hours doing a wood elves campaign, that was way too long but I wanted to get a long victory at least once and the wood elves campaign is the only one that doesn't become a boring slog in endgame.

-Try to play through the rest of the Mainline Zelda's before Tears of the Kingdom comes out(or before I play TotK). By mainline I mean: Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword. I know there are a bunch of other ones but I can wait on Spirit Track, for example.

-Play at least one of the Pathfinder RPGs. Probably do Kingmaker first because WotR apparently has a lot more QoL improvements over Kingmaker and going back will be annoying. This'll probably wait for a while just because it's apparently a long ass game and I won't get anything else done while playing it.

-Learn how to Play Crusader Kings 2 this year, I guess? Like sit down and actually learn how to play the damn thing instead of curling up in a fetal position of fucking despair after 10 minutes of looking at all the buttons and options like I normally do.

-Hollow Knight Silksong IF it comes out this year like it's apparently supposed to.
Wind waker is great (well most of it is), twilight princess is okay but nothing special and skyward sword is severely hampered by the waggle control, so you don't have to feel bad for not playing those. I'd look into link's awakening instead if you never played it.

The pathfinder lenght depend on if you want to do everything, but yeah, there like 100 hours with DLC.

CK2 is not too complex once you know it, but that first hurdle is pretty steep and a big question is how much you want to roleplay versus play it as a game. For example, you can play the genetic game and try to make the best children possible, but that's not really RP friendly since it usually involves marrying random stranger from halfway across the world. General idea is to keep your vassal weak and divided while hiring good people for your council whenever possible. The game also changes a lot depending on if you're a tiny lord or massive emperor. You can start in Ireland, it's practically tutorial island.

They can take their time with silksong, the put the bar freaking high for themselves with hollowknight.

Play the BTA mod for Battletech.

I gotta try that, I tried battletech and found it pretty meh so hopefully the mod can help. Do you need any DLC to play it.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Just a heads up that Celeste is actually incredibly difficult. Not even counting the bonus remixed versions of levels. I guess if you just want to roll the credits, it's not too, too bad, but there are two more story levels after that and the last level is basically as long as the entire rest of the game and 5x as hard.