Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Just a heads up that Celeste is actually incredibly difficult. Not even counting the bonus remixed versions of levels. I guess if you just want to roll the credits, it's not too, too bad, but there are two more story levels after that and the last level is basically as long as the entire rest of the game and 5x as hard.
On the bright side, you can change the difficulty in very specific ways if you are beating your head against a section. I resorted to that eventually where i would slow down the time to about 0.7 speed(normal is 1.0 speed) and it gave me enough time to make a the difficult jumps a lot more consistently. I'd revert back to normal once I finished the really rough bit.

Reactions: gorfias

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Wind waker is great (well most of it is), twilight princess is okay but nothing special and skyward sword is severely hampered by the waggle control, so you don't have to feel bad for not playing those. I'd look into link's awakening instead if you never played it.
Are you talking about that fucking stealth mission at the beginning of WW? Because that was very irritating. I know it's not very long but by god it feels long.

I already played Links Awakening but I really did like it.

I got SS on the switch for christmas last year so might as well check it out. TP I just want to see what it's like.

The pathfinder lenght depend on if you want to do everything, but yeah, there like 100 hours with DLC.
You mean the big dungeon crawl DLC? Or do you mean the kingdom management stuff, which to me sounds really interesting and one of the reasons I want to play it.

I guess is it more on par with Dragon Age in terms in length? I finished Origins and Inquisition in about 70-80 hours each with all the big things(DLC included) complete.

CK2 is not too complex once you know it, but that first hurdle is pretty steep and a big question is how much you want to roleplay versus play it as a game. For example, you can play the genetic game and try to make the best children possible, but that's not really RP friendly since it usually involves marrying random stranger from halfway across the world. General idea is to keep your vassal weak and divided while hiring good people for your council whenever possible. The game also changes a lot depending on if you're a tiny lord or massive emperor. You can start in Ireland, it's practically tutorial island.
I need to just start in Ireland and focus on that, but yeah, it sounds like it's more fun if you RP then try to optimize.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Not much really

- Work that backlog. Currently sitting at 32 games, I'd like it to be sub 20 by the end of the year. Might be tough since like half of it is 40h+ rpgs.

- Nab and catch up on some well regarded indies. I'm thinking Chained Echoes, Omori, Citizen Sleeper, Tinykin and Signalis. With any luck also Hollow Knight Silksong and Sea of Stars. Only on sale tho, cuz cheap-ass gamer.

- Be a cheap-ass gamer. Total bargain ***** always hunting those deals.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Fetch my old PS2 from my parents' house. I want to see how ugly those old PS1 and 2 games look on a 60" 4K TV.
Depends on the game. Most cel-shaded games look even greater than they did before with an HDMI converter. I play my GC, Wii, and PS2 games with it. If it's game that focused on having a distinct look/art style or is 2D over "realistic" 3D graphics, then you should be fine.
Surely it is more of an issue of render resolution rather than artstyle? HDMI cable or not, stretching a 480p image over a 4K 60" screen is going to look like garbage, regardless of if it is Crazy Taxi or Metal Gear Solid.

To be honest, I've never really had too much respect for the original hardware. This is probably one of the bigger reasons why I am Team Emulation all of the way. That and so I don't have to plug in a different console whenever I want to play a specific game from that era.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Surely it is more of an issue of render resolution rather than artstyle? HDMI cable or not, stretching a 480p image over a 4K 60" screen is going to look like garbage, regardless of if it is Crazy Taxi or Metal Gear Solid.
I don't have a 4K flatscreen, but the games I do have look good or great through the HDMI converter. Max Dood has been able to show multiple times, these old consoles through a converter and most of them end up looking good. Not every game is one to one, but if the visuals look bad, it's usually because was already like that to begin with. He's ran many old consoles through these converters. A lot of reviewers who are into older games have a set up that works. Emulation can make things better, but not by much (from what I hear depends), and you can run into similar issues visual issues depending on the game.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Gonna try to mimic what it was the other year, which is tackle my backlog instead of just adding to it. I doubt I’ll get a PS5 this year anyways as they still haven’t announced any Slim plans (which yes I believe is still happening as it just makes economical sense for Sony). And on PC I have more than enough to keep me busy for several years.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Are you talking about that fucking stealth mission at the beginning of WW? Because that was very irritating. I know it's not very long but by god it feels long.

I already played Links Awakening but I really did like it.

I got SS on the switch for christmas last year so might as well check it out. TP I just want to see what it's like.

You mean the big dungeon crawl DLC? Or do you mean the kingdom management stuff, which to me sounds really interesting and one of the reasons I want to play it.

I guess is it more on par with Dragon Age in terms in length? I finished Origins and Inquisition in about 70-80 hours each with all the big things(DLC included) complete.

I need to just start in Ireland and focus on that, but yeah, it sounds like it's more fun if you RP then try to optimize.
Wind waker had a trouble development, toward the end they kinda stretch time by having you do some menial fetch quest that just involve sailing all over the map, which is pretty slow.

Pathfinder have tons of little side area that can really drag if you want to do everything. The kingdom management stuff doesn't really have anything to it, you just build tiny boring town. I'd say its a bit longer than a dragon age game.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Wind waker had a trouble development, toward the end they kinda stretch time by having you do some menial fetch quest that just involve sailing all over the map, which is pretty slow.
Still better than Skyward Sword, though.
On the bright side, you can change the difficulty in very specific ways if you are beating your head against a section. I resorted to that eventually where i would slow down the time to about 0.7 speed(normal is 1.0 speed) and it gave me enough time to make a the difficult jumps a lot more consistently. I'd revert back to normal once I finished the really rough bit.
Oh, that's right. I never touch stuff like that. I haven't finished the final level yet, though.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
If your willing, you can hock up a PC to TV screen and emulate it, you don't need anything crazy for PS2 emulator.

Warhammer 3 is great and is already occasionally going 33% off (its 20% atm), so probably will happen soon. I just spend 90 hours doing a wood elves campaign, that was way too long but I wanted to get a long victory at least once and the wood elves campaign is the only one that doesn't become a boring slog in endgame.
I do actually have an emulator somewhere on my hard drive, but it's also about having a small DVD player in the living room, the PC just wouldn't fit. Plus, you know, old school playing video games on the sofa with your mates.

I have finished very few mortal empires campaigns, it usually gets to a point where you have won, no one else stands a chance and declaring war on the pitiful remnants or allies just for the sake of total world domination seems a bit pointless. In my great beneficence I let them live.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Fetch my old PS2 from my parents' house. I want to see how ugly those old PS1 and 2 games look on a 60" 4K TV. Plus I 'm too cheap to buy a new DVD player when there's a perfectly good one I can use.

Spend less time playing games that just pass the time. It's a rare day that I find a game that really pulls me in.

I will be buying Total Warhammer 3 at some point, as long as we get to at least 33% sale.
I am very tempted to do this with a PS3 on my 75" Samsung! Just for fun. I already have a PS4 Pro and Xbox 1X on it. But it would be interesting to see it on there. I currently have it on a 55" Visio LED in the basement, where I also already have an Xbox 1 OG and that looks fine, but requires an update nearly monthly!
ITMT: I pledged to finish Rise of Tomb Raider so I can play Shadow of Tomb Raider.
I just received the Steam Deck, a vital part of which is that it is reportedly so convenient you will actually finish some games upon it. So far, I'd agree with that assessment. Well, it says it doesn't support Rise of Tomb Raider. Even so, it gets min. bench test of 36 FPS (I would lock at 30 if it would let me) BUT... doesn't seem to be able to sync with cloud saves. Says I'm at 0%. So, I'll have to finish it on PC and then try to play Shadow on the thing.

A dozen years later, I want to finish Dirt 3 too.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
OMG this thread, lol. Well, it's appropriate at the start of 2nd month of the year where I inevitably admit to already failing on these resolutions.

Y'all... video editing is so freaking tedious, lol. I now have more respect for those that do it. *yawn* no thanks.
Hollow Knight is B.S. and I don't understand how people love it. I mean, I do understand, its visuals and core gameplay and sound are wonderful. But it's too hard and annoying to actually make progress after a certain point. I don't think I have the patience for metroidvanias any more.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
OMG this thread, lol. Well, it's appropriate at the start of 2nd month of the year where I inevitably admit to already failing on these resolutions.

Y'all... video editing is so freaking tedious, lol. I now have more respect for those that do it. *yawn* no thanks.
Hollow Knight is B.S. and I don't understand how people love it. I mean, I do understand, its visuals and core gameplay and sound are wonderful. But it's too hard and annoying to actually make progress after a certain point. I don't think I have the patience for metroidvanias any more.
I'm probably not the right person to ask this, but what makes Hollow Knight hard? I'm trying to understand since I found it kinda easy, aside from the dream boss fights. I'm not trying to epeen measure or something, I'm trying to figure it out.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I'm probably not the right person to ask this, but what makes Hollow Knight hard? I'm trying to understand since I found it kinda easy, aside from the dream boss fights. I'm not trying to epeen measure or something, I'm trying to figure it out.
The backtracking, the lack of clear guide of where to go, and the punishing combat. Combine them all and every time I try to play this game, I get stuck somewhere.
On this most recent attempt, I reached the Mantis Lords but found the fight 1000x times harder than what came before, barely being able to get past the first phase. Also getting TO the boss requires dropping down past flying annoying enemies so it's not like you can re-try it.

So I figured I'd come back after powering up. I went elsewhere and defeated the Soul Master. Then I had enough souls to buy the lantern, so on my way backtracking all the way to the start to buy it, I made a wrong turn and dropped down somewhere in a new area. Now I can't get back up. And that new area is actually pitch black dark, and of course I was just about to buy the lantern. So... now what... I would have to fumble and keep dying in the dark to try to find a way back and then re-grind for all those souls? F*** that.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The backtracking, the lack of clear guide of where to go, and the punishing combat. Combine them all and every time I try to play this game, I get stuck somewhere.
On this most recent attempt, I reached the Mantis Lords but found the fight 1000x times harder than what came before, barely being able to get past the first phase. Also getting TO the boss requires dropping down past flying annoying enemies so it's not like you can re-try it.

So I figured I'd come back after powering up. I went elsewhere and defeated the Soul Master. Then I had enough souls to buy the lantern, so on my way backtracking all the way to the start to buy it, I made a wrong turn and dropped down somewhere in a new area. Now I can't get back up. And that new area is actually pitch black dark, and of course I was just about to buy the lantern. So... now what... I would have to fumble and keep dying in the dark to try to find a way back and then re-grind for all those souls? F*** that.
Ahh, yeah, then metroidvania's might not be for you, outside of a few. Symphony of the Night really comes to mind since you can power level yourself and there are some that give objective markers so you know where to go besides just trying to find parts of the map that aren't mapped.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
2023 gaming resolution? Finish Elden Ring. At this rate, mid-2024 is probably the more realistic goal.

Reactions: Dalisclock