Microsoft: Halo: Reach the "Best-Selling Xbox Exclusive In History"

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005

Gamers have eagerly flocked to Bungie's final Halo game in "staggering" droves.

Last week, Bungie bid farewell to its blockbuster Halo franchise with Halo: Reach - a thousands of years of playtime [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8101-Review-Halo-Reach] in just a week.

"We obviously believed in the potential of Reach, and of Halo as a franchise, but to make over $200m sales on day one is a staggering result," Microsoft's UK director of entertainment and marketing Stephen McGill told MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/40976/MS-Halo-Reach-sales-are-staggering].

"The reception the game has received has been phenomenal. Halo: Reach has proved itself to be the biggest entertainment launch of 2010 and the best-selling Xbox exclusive in history."

Er, hold on a second there, Stephen. "Best-selling Xbox exclusive in history" implies that the game has outsold Halo 3 (8.1 million copies) and both Gears of War titles (~5 million apiece). I have no doubt that Reach is doing well for itself, but that seems a little far-fetched.

However, if McGill simply meant to say that it was the fastest-selling Xbox exclusive in history - that it sold more copies more quickly than either of the previously-mentioned games - then his statement could make perfect sense.

I think one of those options seems far more likely to me.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
No shit Microsoft, it's a little Obvious...

And i have to say, it's the best game I've played in a while =)

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
An easily made mistake, its the kind of mistake anyone could do :)

Or maybe it truly is already the best-selling Xbox exclusive of all time...?

Anyways, I'm glad that Bungie's Halo swan-song was a success (whatever my opinion on the quality of the game, the developer deserves it for their efforts), and I look forward to their yet to be announced multi-platform IP! :)

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Microsoft doing what they do best...

I have to admit I have enjoyed it myself though - Good Campaign, despite the length

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
arc1991 said:
No shit Microsoft, it's a little Obvious...

And i have to say, it's the best game I've played in a while =)
Indeed.
Stupid haters hating things I like...
*mumbles to self in corner*

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Some of the comments flying out of MS recently seems to indicate that they've all either been on some sort of happy drug or just recently come back from a health and wellbeing spa.

Too much positivity and many overblown statements.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Isn't it the only Xbox exclusive left?

I kid, I kid.

-readies his flame shield-

In all seriousness, I saw a couple guys playing the multiplayer for it yesterday and it does look kinda fun. I might rent it sometime in the future to see what it is like.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Good. It's one of the best games I've played on my backup system in a long long time.(nearly one year couple months) That legendary Edition was well worth it.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Marketers are just doing what marketers will do.

Perhaps Micro$oft is hoping this statement will generate enough peer pressure to get everyone else on board.

Sorry, but I'm not interested in your mediocre shine-fest of a game Microsoft.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
Hats off to Microsoft's marketing team. Those guys could make a best-selling game out of a turd in a box, infact i believe it's common practice for them.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
And it was in competition against...? Gears of War? I'm sorry but I can't really think of many other big name 360 exclusives.

sniperworm

Apr 16, 2009
Well despite what people say, I found it to enjoyable and I know others have too. Shocking I know.

May 25, 2010
No way it outsold Halo 3 THAT fast. It's barely been a weak. Halo 3 sold that much over the course of 2-3 years and I'm pretty sure it's still selling.

Then again, the fact that they didn't mention any numbers should have tipped me off...

On a side note, here's to hoping Yahtzee will review this tomorrow :D

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
Assassin Xaero said:
And it was in competition against...? Gears of War? I'm sorry but I can't really think of many other big name 360 exclusives.
Gears of War sold more than any PS3 exclusive. So... yeah.