Call of Duty: Black Ops Censored in Germany

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Call of Duty: Black Ops Censored in Germany

If you live in Germany and plan on getting the upcoming Call of Duty: Black Ops, you may want to consider importing it.

German politicians may have nixed the proposed ban on violent videogames [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100800-Germany-Says-Nein-to-Violent-Game-Ban] earlier this year, but that doesn't mean the country is all hunky-dory with its blood and guts. Next month's Call of Duty: Black Ops - almost certainly one of the biggest games of the year - has been censored in its German release.

So what's been taken out? According to CODFeed [http://codfeed.co.uk/call-of-duty-black-ops-censorship-details-revealed/], the violence has been expectedly trimmed down. As far as the campaign is concerned, a scene "where an enemy is shot in slow motion with copious amounts of gore" has been tamed down, and one involving the violent torture of a prisoner has been removed entirely. Meanwhile, explosions will no longer cause limb loss on the part of characters. The game has also been cleansed of what Germany deems "anti-constitutional symbols," whatever that means.

Perhaps the most perplexing excision, however, is the removal of the Rolling Stones' "Sympathy for the Devil" from the game's soundtrack in the German release. Given that it is the only song to be cut from the Black Ops soundtrack, it's unlikely (though still possible) that this has anything to do with potential licensing issues.

The only possible reason that comes to mind is that the song's lyrics [http://www.lyricsfreak.com/r/rolling+stones/sympathy+for+the+devil_20117881.html] mention World War II and the blitzkrieg - but only in a single verse. Germany is known for being quite sensitive with regard to World War II references (albeit not without good reason), but is that really enough to get the entire song removed from the game?

Ah well. At least German gamers can still nip on over to one of the other nations in the EU to pick up the regular, non-censored version of the game if it means that much to them.

On an unrelated note, while writing this I mistakenly called the game "Treyarch: Black Ops." That seems like it'd be a fun game to play, though I don't know if game designers would be particularly good at wetworks.

(Destructoid [http://codfeed.co.uk/call-of-duty-black-ops-censorship-details-revealed/])

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
oh wow that is quite a bit still... Luckily I don't live in germany.

AlexLoxate

Sep 3, 2010
First Medal of Honor, now this. Brace yourselves people for playing Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood where the assassinations have all been replace with big friendly hugs.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
they did this last year if i remember correctly, if you shot any civvies in the airport mission on MW2, it gave you a game over. or they blanked it completely. all im sure of is someone somewhere did something

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
The Cheezy One said:
they did this last year if i remember correctly, if you shot any civvies in MW2, it gave you a game over. or they blanked it completely. all im sure of is someone somewhere did something
Doesn't it do that normally?

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
AlexLoxate said:
First Medal of Honor, now this. Brace yourselves people for playing Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood where the assassinations have all been replace with big friendly hugs.
Sorry hugs were deemed to violent by the German government last year

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
err how unfortunate

and I'm also calling it Treyarch: Black Ops in the sense that I realize this isn't Infinity Ward
I mean, I don't mind, but I just don't wanna be one of those guys who love the game simply cuz I was disappointed by MW2 (I wasn't, but then again I don't play CoD multiplayer much)

KaiRai

Jun 2, 2008
This is going a bit far I think.

Grow up Germany, a guy was a dick to everyone else and left his mark. It was like 65 years ago, stop being so over-sensitive.

No I really don't see why it's so censored, it's hardly going to spark a string of slow motion torture-murders is it? Plus, where the hell are the Nazis in this game? I thought it was set in the cold war?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
...Why is it the EU countries shrunk at the sight of a FPS...tis a real shame

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
icyneesan said:
AlexLoxate said:
Hand-shakes. O_O? XD

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
Aww, I tought this was gonna be an article about them changing ************ to maggotfarmer like in network tv edited versions of war movies...

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
To be honest with you I find Germany disturbing.

On one hand they go through great lengths to try and convince you they are ashamed of the whole Nazi thing. On the other hand the method they choose to demonstrate this point with is the censorship of foreign products, including things that they somehow feel are "anti-constitutional symbols" which smacks of the kind of hyper-patriotism they claim to be over...

I'll also go so far as to point out that a lot of this seems to be grand standing for the rest of the world, because despite the job done on wiping out the Nazi idealogy, I have in the past hung out with a number of people into music generes like "Death Metal" who would swear up and down about how the Germans are so much better at it than everyone else, while demonstrating how they spliced the screams of Nazi concentration camp victims into the music, or added them in subliminally. I've remained intentionally ignorant of the specific bands that were doing this kind of thing, but the bottom line is that it make quite an impression on me at the time. If you have Germany producing this kind of thing domestically, not to mention garden variety heavy metal which can get far worse than "The Rolling Stones" has ever been, I can't take their censorship of foreign products on these grounds as anything but a political publicity stunt, or more disturbingly attempts to filter outside ideas justified by only the thinnest veneer of logic

Censorship is a bad thig in general, and if there is any country I have problems with exercising any kind of information control at all it's Germany. My referances are pretty vague (and I admit that) but I'm pretty sure if someone really wanted to examine this kind of thing under a microscope, and compared domestically generated products compared to their censorship of ones coming in from outside, they would be revealed as hypocrits of the worst kind.

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
icyneesan said:
AlexLoxate said:
Now it's just going to be Poke Creed...

OT: Well, I could see why sensoring anti-constitutional signs is relevent. But the Rolling Stones is too far...