Stolen Pixels #239: After After Curfew, Pt. 3

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #239: After After Curfew, Pt. 3

Somebody doesn't know their horror movie tropes.

Read Full Article

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
NOT THE SHOWER!

How many hours do you have on GMod, anyway?

I've been meaning to ask.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
I wonder how many users are going to make a "Basement" reference? Either way, the shower is the WORST thing you could do. I still want to know why the teenage girls think it's the best option in the middle of a serial killer's home.

Calumon: Maybe you could barricade yourself with the cones he has! He can't cross them! :D

Whoracle

Jan 7, 2008
Diagonal Horizontality said:
I'm playing Thief III for the first time right now. Haven't been particularly scared yet...
I mean, I've had zombies wheezing into my ear, but they're scary in a "damn, these things don't appreciate a good bop across the bonce" way, not so much outright fear inducing.
Just wait for it. And to warn you: Stay away from spoilers for this game. Even knowing what level is "supposed" to be scary may ruin it for you.

Seriously.

When you're done with T3, you'll know which level shamus was talking about.

Crayzor

Aug 16, 2009
Diagonal Horizontality said:
I'm playing Thief III for the first time right now. Haven't been particularly scared yet...
I mean, I've had zombies wheezing into my ear, but they're scary in a "damn, these things don't appreciate a good bop across the bonce" way, not so much outright fear inducing.
Have you been to the orphanage yet? That's when things get scary.

krellen

Unrepentant Obsidian Fanboy
Jan 23, 2009
Admit it. You still freak out when you hear the Poison Headcrab gurgle.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
DTWolfwood said:
o thank god i wasnt the only one to be freaked out by Ravenholms!
Same, first time I played and got to Ravenholm and when those damn large hulks with 3 poison crabs on them came after me or when I was waiting for the damn elevator thingy that Father Gregori sent for me and damn hunter zombies came crawling from everywhere.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
So, about Ravenholm in Half-Life 2:
I didn't play it until The Orange Box was out (I know, I'm a bad person), but when I did finally pick it up, I spent a good five days straight playing it. And it was AWESOME.

Anyway. The first time I played through Ravenholm, it was winter and thus very dark outside, and the time was... oh, I'm not sure. Maybe 1 AM? I'm unsure. Anyway, it was late, it was dark, and the entire family had gone to bed, but I had to play this, because it looked totally cool.

So, after playing through the entire thing (took me a few hours, but it was still very much middle of the night and dark outside when I was done), I stumble around in the darkness to go to the bathroom and brush my teeth and do all kinds of "stuff you do before you go to bed"... and as I stumble through the darkness, my foot bumps into my cat.

After having played Ravenholm MINUTES previously, my brain is now screaming: "HEADCRAB HEADCRAB HEADCRAB HEADCRAB!!!" and my I feel my blood pressure skyrocket faster than I jump a good two meters away in MASSIVE PANIC and try to remind myself that there are no headcrabs, and they are not fuzzy and warm like kittens. I recall shouting something like "MFFLFLLLBRHRHH!!!" in an attempt to ease the panic while muffling myself in order to not wake the entire house.

Vyce

Chaos Dragon
Mar 19, 2009
krellen said:
Admit it. You still freak out when you hear the Poison Headcrab gurgle.
KILL IT WITH FIRE! *HIDES* I hate those things. D: There's a Ravenholm mod where they don't even give you a crowbar until you've seen a few headcrabs, and a gun is nowhere to be found.

Jul 24, 2008
For everyone of you who loved Ravenholm in HL2 you should definitely go play the "Ravenholm" Mod for Half life 2!

Six chapters of pure Ravenholm horror! :D http://www.moddb.com/mods/ravenholm

And this time... you don't have a gravity gun ;)

ps. Oh yeah, Thief III's "That level" was friggen' scary! :>

Dead_Man

Nov 18, 2009
maybe we should wait this out in the abandoned camp cabin where all the teens who went to make out died on this day, one year ago...........OH WAIT!

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Well it would be pretty hard to swing a traffic cone in a cupboard...

donutsftw

Nov 10, 2009
For me, Ravenholm was scary as hell the first I played through it and didn't know what to expect (the fact that I wasn't as good at FPSs st the time helped). As for "that level" in Thief 3, I didn't find it all that scary, since the level didn't really alter the gameplay that much. I was very slow and cautious on all the levels, and ran at the first trouble, and if you play "that level" this way it's just not as scary since you aren't forced to make quick decisions.

My scariest moment in gaming has to be the first extended action sequence in Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. Seriously, my hands were all shaking and sweaty by the time I beat it, and you could have heard my heart beating from across the room.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I almost did a spit take on the last panel.

They should totally go up to the abandoned campground, find a couple of girls, get drunk, have sex, and then go looking for the remains of the serial killer who died there fifteen years ago to the day.

slightly evil

Feb 18, 2010
Did anyone play Dark Sector? the underground bit was terrifying for me, the unhelpful combat helped a lot