Stolen Pixels #239: After After Curfew, Pt. 3

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
HankMan said:
Jack and Calumon said:
I wonder how many users are going to make a "Basement" reference? Either way, the shower is the WORST thing you could do. I still want to know why the teenage girls think it's the best option in the middle of a serial killer's home.
That's not nearly as bad as having <color= red>SEX!
"Hold me sir!"
"ABSOLUTELY NOT!"
LOL I remember the New Friday the 13th all too well -_-

Girl: Hey let's have sex in this supposedly dead guys Bed!!
Guy: sure!!

Jason:....You two are so..*Sunglasses* Fucked! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
Madara XIII said:
You mean this Cradle!?

[horrorsnip]http://arstechnica.com/reviews/004/software/thief-deadly-shadows/TDS16.jpg[/horrorsnip]

MWAHAHAHA
NOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

*rocks back and forth in fetal position*

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
I never found Ravenholm all that scary, but I was beyond frustrated at the time with the controls, among other personal matters, so that may have had something to do with it.

Anyways, I think S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat certainly has it's fair share of terrifying moments. I was doing a mission in the Jupiter plant, and an Emission had just occured, so it was storming out still, and it was night in the game, so the factory was pitch black except for the odd flash of lightning illuminating some of the factory. I was on edge as it was, and all of a sudden when I saw an enemy dart off to the side, I just about lept out of my chair. That, Jupiter Underground, and the city are all terrifyingly atmospheric in my mind.

Burningsok

Jul 23, 2009
Jack and Calumon said:
I wonder how many users are going to make a "Basement" reference? Either way, the shower is the WORST thing you could do. I still want to know why the teenage girls think it's the best option in the middle of a serial killer's home.

Calumon: Maybe you could barricade yourself with the cones he has! He can't cross them! :D
I think this mysterious killer is constructing his own additional pylons!

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
Shamus Young said:
Stolen Pixels #239: After After Curfew, Pt. 3

Somebody doesn't know their horror movie tropes.

Read Full Article
Actually, I thought Silent Hill 1 was better than Silent Hill 2. Whether or not the monsters are actual demons is sort of irrelevant. What matters is when wierd spectral stuff goes down, you are going to have at least some raving lunatic talking about demons. To be surrounded by monsters and have no one point out these things shouldn't exist- or bring up demons- isn't realistic. It doesn't make sense. Regardless of whether or not the monsters are demons, you are going to have people talking about them.

Oh, and in that one level where you fight two Pyramid Heads, there was the Seal of Metatron on the floor even though James would not logically know what that symbol looked like. So you sorta got this one wrong Shamus.

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
DTWolfwood said:
o thank god i wasnt the only one to be freaked out by Ravenholms!
I knew about the level, and I was still a little jittery while playing it. I jumped more than a few times. I've yet to finish playing through HL2 (yeah, I know, blashpemy. But when I get stuck I just walk away form it for a while), but that level has taken me the longest to complete so far. I kept creeping around every corner, and looking over my shoulder. Valve did a great job.

Feb 13, 2008
2. Amnesia: The Dark Descent - I might write an article on this later, but I thought this game was amazing.
I can't actually play Amnesia. Not that I don't want to, but it genuinely triggers fear responses in me so that I can't continue.

Ravenholme zombies don't actually scare me as much as they unnerve me. I can't stand the burning screams...puts my nerves on edge.

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
NOT THE SHOWER!

How many hours do you have on GMod, anyway?

I've been meaning to ask.
1469 Hours

On topic, that one level in Thief 3 is terrifying.

Desworks

Nov 18, 2009
That one Thief 3 level was the reason why the amount of time it took me to complete that game increased by about a week. I needed to work up the courage to continue. Even now, anytime I think about playing through the game again, I remember the Cradle and then decide to go play something less terrifying. Like something from the Fatal Frame or Silent Hill series.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
2. Amnesia: The Dark Descent - I might write an article on this later, but I thought this game was amazing.
I can't actually play Amnesia. Not that I don't want to, but it genuinely triggers fear responses in me so that I can't continue.

Ravenholme zombies don't actually scare me as much as they unnerve me. I can't stand the burning screams...puts my nerves on edge.
Look at this way, if it's anything like Penumbra the ending is going to be utterly disapointing and laughable.

FROGGEman2

Queen of France
Mar 14, 2009
I do have Amnesia, I just can't play it because Civilization is SUCKING UP MY LIFE, but I do have to agree with you about Ravenholm. Though, for me, the terror didn't really last to the end. It was at that place where they spawned infinitely that I realised that all you need to kill them is your crowbar.

CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK BACK CLICK CLICK

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
Yeah, Ravenholm scared me the first time, too. Now it's much more fun, but I still get a twinge of "aw nuts" when I hear the fast zombie sounds.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Shame on you, Young, for not mentioning the hotel part on Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

Everyone else who knows what I'm talking about, I apologize for giving you all a sleepness night tonight.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
DTWolfwood said:
o thank god i wasnt the only one to be freaked out by Ravenholms!
You certainly were not the only one. Ravenholm was crafted quite well. Not as well as like Silent Hill but it definitely threw in the extra creep factor well.
One thing Valve has been doing quite well with Half Life, and Gearbox picked up with Opposing Force, was the 'Yanking away your security' moment.
In Half Life, it is at the end of We've Got Hostiles. Even though most of the humans there are trying to kill you, it is familiar territory so you feel a sense of security. But as soon as you pass through that big Silo door at the end and the next chapter loads, you suddenly feel alone, and the first thing you are hearing is the splat of the tentacle dog spitting at the headcrabs nearby. Completely alien sounds coming from an apparently abandoned area of the facility. First time gave me shivers down the back.
And then in Opposing Force when you get left behind by your fellow soldiers at "We are Pulling Out", and then the wall crumbles behind you. First time I played that part I almost cried at the feeling of getting left behind to the aliens. The vortigaunts popping up then didn't help my nerves either.
It is even worse with the start of We Don't Go to Ravenholm because just before that you are feeling secure in Black Mesa East with friends. But as soon as Dog drops the door behind you and runs off, there is nobody around again and the solitude beats on you harder as soon as you see the remains of Ravenholm for the first time. The dangling body down the way suddenly moving doesn't help your calm either.
That's atmosphere!

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Please do write an article on Amnesia. I for one would be interested to hear what you thought of it.

Plus, it would be nice to see that game get a bit of exposure.

GUYWITHAGUN

Apr 3, 2010
Grey Carter said:
Oh God. The fucking Cradle.
elvor0 said:
Oh christ not the orphanage, that place was fucking horrible, I never want to go back there, scary. as. fuck.
Exterminas said:
I still can't go to the cradle today.
Agreed, especially since theres no way to actually KILL them, except the holy water. Creepy ass shit.

GUYWITHAGUN

Apr 3, 2010
Desworks said:
That one Thief 3 level was the reason why the amount of time it took me to complete that game increased by about a week. I needed to work up the courage to continue. Even now, anytime I think about playing through the game again, I remember the Cradle and then decide to go play something less terrifying. Like something from the Fatal Frame or Silent Hill series.
the only way i got through that was by reading a walkthrough at the same time. First resident i saw, i was like:

*Paused the game*
"okaaaay, time for dinner"
*looks down*
"...and a change of underwear"

GUYWITHAGUN

Apr 3, 2010
Pipotchi said:
donutsftw said:
For me, Ravenholm was scary as hell the first I played through it and didn't know what to expect (the fact that I wasn't as good at FPSs st the time helped). As for "that level" in Thief 3, I didn't find it all that scary, since the level didn't really alter the gameplay that much. I was very slow and cautious on all the levels, and ran at the first trouble, and if you play "that level" this way it's just not as scary since you aren't forced to make quick decisions.

My scariest moment in gaming has to be the first extended action sequence in Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. Seriously, my hands were all shaking and sweaty by the time I beat it, and you could have heard my heart beating from across the room.
Was that the one where you have to escape your hotel room, dashing from room to room and hitting the locks?
nah, that level wasn't scary, it was exiting, but not scary. cuz they were humans. the REAL shit stirring moments was when you were in the sewers with the ghost of the girl because there was SOMETHING there and it sure as hell was. not. human.